Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2015 7:39:14 PM EDT
Does anyone know much about Bevin?

I have done alittle reading, but I just haven't found much about him.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
He doesn't have a lot of history politically.  At the moment he's pretty much toeing the line 100% with the Republican party's national agenda.  Given that the party supported him in the race he probably won't do anything unexpected.  I'm skeptical that he'll actually dismantle KYConnect and expanded Medicaid but maybe he'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I dont see Ky connect going anywhere.

Wonder if Constitutional Carry will finally get passed?

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to see Kynect killed off.

Constitutional carry would be great too, but with stricter enforcement and punishment, much stricter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Not originally from KY, adopted home in since '99.  Businessman by birth, family is pretty well off and seems to have been doing good for almost 200 years.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not originally from KY, adopted home in since '99.  Businessman by birth, family is pretty well off and seems to have been doing good for almost 200 years.
View Quote

From wikipedia:

Bevin grew up in the rural town of Shelburne, New Hampshire, the second of six children, born into a family that has managed the Bevin Brothers Manufacturing Company since its founding in 1832. Bevin's father worked at a wood mill, and the family lived in a small farmhouse with one bathroom and no central heat. However, Bevin's family was still able to send him to Gould Academy, a private high school in Bethel, Maine. Bevin then attended Washington and Lee University on an ROTC scholarship, graduating in 1989 with a major in East Asian Studies.[1] Bevin then spent four years on active duty as an officer in the United States Army with primary responsibilities as the 5th Mechanized Infantry Division Artillery's counterfire officer. He eventually rose to the rank of Captain.[2]

Business career:
Bevin worked as a financial consultant for SEI Investments Company in Pennsylvania and Boston, then served as a vice president with Putnam Investments. In 1999, Bevin moved to Kentucky to work with National Asset Management, being offered a stake in the firm to take the job.[1] In 2003, Bevin founded Integrity Asset Management, which he later sold in 2011 to Munder Capital Management.[3] In 2011, Bevin became the President of Bevin Brothers Manufacturing Company, a bell manufacturing company in East Hampton, Connecticut that had been in the Bevin family for generations.[4] Bevin is also a partner at Waycross Partners, an investment management firm in Louisville, Kentucky.[5]

Healthcare:
During his campaign for governor in 2015, Bevin pledged to dismantle Kynect (the state's health insurance exchange) and reverse the Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act because they "can't afford it",[22][23][24] and posted the issue as a prominent point in his platform.[25]

Same-sex marriage:
Bevin has been an opponent of same-sex marriage rights and has argued that freedom of religion should relieve county clerks such as Kim Davis from the duty of signing marriage licenses between same sex couples.[26]

Personal life:
Bevin and his wife Glenna have nine children, four of them adopted from Ethiopia.[2]

I have met Matt Bevin 5 different times. He is an honest, straight forward, deeply religious man. His biggest weakness, in my opinion, is that he is too trusting of others and too quick to forgive the dishonesty and lies of his opponents. He is the least political politician I have ever encountered. Matt Bevin is a really decent man. Why in the hell he would want to get into politics is a mystery to me. He doesn't need the money or the headaches. We all know the Dems. and the media will be after him from day one. He is much too good a person for politics.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Im always leery of a north east republican. But we shall see.

I kinda liked how country the Beshear sounded.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, but Beshear looks like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons so it makes him seem evil
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[/span][/span]
SNIP
View Quote

I read up on his wiki bio and some other stuff.. Trying to get  deeper insights into the guy...

thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah, that is one of my concerns.

you know, with the history this state has for crooked elections, I was sure Conway would win..

I was very surprised.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you know, with the history this state has for crooked elections, I was sure Conway would win..

I was very surprised.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was very surprised.

Too many people in Ky. use things like that as a way to decide how to vote, so we get charlatans and hucksters running our state. Hopefully, we have put that history behind us and we will select the best man with the best policies from here on out.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I've read Bevin doesn't need any help to,dismantle it. The subsidy was suppose to be getting money to fund it from Obama care and we're getting 1/8 of the money to fund it. So basically in a year it's failing. We either have to fund it out of taxpayer money or let it fail.

I read it would cost the taxpayers of Ky 150 million to keep it going.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Bevin is like most all politicians, says what he says to get votes.  If you all think he hasn't lied, you haven't been paying attention. Sad. I voted for him but HE STINKS honestly and there was no one any better to vote for.
We needed a change in the state and changing parties may not be the end all solution (it sure wasn't with the last piece of crap Republican Governor we elected).  I have higher hopes for his LT Governor, it seems like both the Dem and Rep sides should have been running those ladies instead of the 2 men. They were better in my opinion.  

A politicians job is to fool you when in their presence and to be an excellent salesperson.  Bevin has little common sense knowledge about state government. He advocated a policy to fix the retirement system during his campaign but I guess never realized that what he was proposing to fix, had already been fixed.  We are not going to be any better off and the the Healthcare Coop as it is called is already slated to fail and go down the tubes early next year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've written to several senators in the state regarding constitutional concealed carry. Maybe they introduce legislation soon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've written to several senators in the state regarding constitutional concealed carry. Maybe they introduce legislation soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather see campus carry before constitutional carry if forced to make a choice, hopefully we get both. I've written my state level senators and reps on both issues and both have responded to me saying they're in favor of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd rather see campus carry before constitutionality carry if forced to make a choice, hopefully we get both. I've written my state level senators and reps on both issues and both have responded to me saying they're in favor of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather see campus carry before constitutionality carry if forced to make a choice, hopefully we get both. I've written my state level senators and reps on both issues and both have responded to me saying they're in favor of them.

I like the idea of constitutional carry, on principle.   I don't know that it buys us much.    I know I would still have my CDWL for travel.

I think campus carry would be good for the same reason.      I think it is needed more than constitutional carry.    On ther otherhand, it is only an issue for the years while in college.   And all they can do is kick you out.   It is actually less of an issue than work place concealed carry, which impacts decent people 30-50 years of their life.

The biggest is actually alcohol.    That prohibition is thrown around far beyond bars.  

We really need to get rid of all of these pointless restrictions.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I think we should say it as constitutional concealed carry,  not just constitutional carry as I consider that open carry which is already legal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think we should say it as constitutional concealed carry,  not just constitutional carry as I consider that open carry which is already legal.
View Quote

I agree.  CCC.    

I support it on principle alone, if for no other obvious reason.

I don't know that it buys us anything.    I would still need my CDWL to travel.

However, IF in the passage of CCC the restrictions were eliminated, that would be absolutely wonderful.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
At least cut out the money and fees in letting people get a CDW permit. Basic hour safety class and background check and issue the permit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't mind forcing a background check for a CCW and I agree a one hour class would be fine.  A lot of people don't really understand when you can and can't shoot another person so I'm not in favor of eliminating the class all together.  

Has Bevin ever addressed the possibility of marijuana legalization in the state?  Marijuana could be sustainably and profitably grown in eastern Kentucky and the state would reap the rewards from all the taxes.  After the Colorado experiment I am fully convinced it something worthwhile for the state to look into.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just guessing but Bevin's religious beliefs, (not one thing wrong with that by the way), might keep him from wanting the marijuana issue to be a part of KY. But, like I said, that's a guess.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't mind forcing a background check for a CCW and I agree a one hour class would be fine.  A lot of people don't really understand when you can and can't shoot another person so I'm not in favor of eliminating the class all together.  

Has Bevin ever addressed the possibility of marijuana legalization in the state?  Marijuana could be sustainably and profitably grown in eastern Kentucky and the state would reap the rewards from all the taxes.  After the Colorado experiment I am fully convinced it something worthwhile for the state to look into.
View Quote

Yeah, you're right, I guess that's the main basis for the class? Maybe give everybody a pamphlet or book on it, tell them they better read it, LOL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm just guessing but Bevin's religious beliefs, (not one thing wrong with that by the way), might keep him from wanting the marijuana issue to be a part of KY. But, like I said, that's a guess.
View Quote

In the debate he said was not okay with recreational use of Marijuana but medicinal use. That would be between a patient and his doctor.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In the debate he said was not okay with recreational use of Marijuana but medicinal use. That would be between a patient and his doctor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed one debate, so that must have been it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why this stuff is not in pill from with only the needed medical ingredients.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe we could get the magazine bans too, just like Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't know why this stuff is not in pill from with only the needed medical ingredients.
View Quote

Large pharmaceutical companies have already created that.  But maybe not for the reasons you think.  They created it because they can patent it and sell it for huge profits.  Why use something cooked up in a lab with questionable provenance created solely for the purpose of profit when you can get the same thing in its natural form from mother nature?  The government should have no right to legislate a naturally occurring plant.

As to your other comment, Colorado's gun laws are a completely separate topic.  I'm not sure why you'd even bring that up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]
The change in Colorado seems to be a leftward societal shift.   To me, the gun laws and drug laws are tied together by that shift.   But, we can each have our own opinions and views.    

I would prefer to see the pill than a bunch of puffing.    It does sound like the pill was made for the reasons I would imagine .    That is why companies exist, to make money.    Natural does not equal safe.    At the same time, I do not support the needless consumption of drugs of any form.   But, that is just me.

Most drugs are derived from natural sources.   I prefer pharmaceuticals over most natural cures in most situations.   Again, that is my choice or preference.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I suppose I could get behind legalization of drugs.... IF they were handled like alcohol and tobacco, being heavily regulated, taxed, and controlled by large corporations.

I don't want it untaxed.    I pay income taxes and sales taxes.     Alcohol and tobacco industries pay taxes and people pay taxes when buying them.    The same is true of pharmaceuticals.    Recreational drugs should be no different.  

Untaxed alcohol and tobacco is not a huge problem because the corporations won't stand for it.  They pay the government to kill off the black market.

With that, I would like to see much tighter enforcement of the tax code.     I would support harsher laws for behaviors while under the influence of drugs in public.  

With that, I would like to see all government support/aid to substance abuse programs stopped.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I suppose I could get behind legalization of drugs.... IF they were handled like alcohol and tobacco, being heavily regulated, taxed, and controlled by large corporations.

I don't want it untaxed.    I pay income taxes and sales taxes.     Alcohol and tobacco industries pay taxes and people pay taxes when buying them.    The same is true of pharmaceuticals.    Recreational drugs should be no different.  

Untaxed alcohol and tobacco is not a huge problem because the corporations won't stand for it.  They pay the government to kill off the black market.

With that, I would like to see much tighter enforcement of the tax code.     I would support harsher laws for behaviors while under the influence of drugs in public.  

With that, I would like to see all government support/aid to substance abuse programs stopped.  

View Quote

If anyone wants to hear what Bevin's is wanting to do check out Andrew wilkow. He was on today. When he gets the show on podcast I'll link it to this thread. It was very informative. Guy really understands the 10th amendment.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If anyone wants to hear what Bevin's is wanting to do check out Andrew wilkow. He was on today. When he gets the show on podcast I'll link it to this thread. It was very informative. Guy really understands the 10th amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's part of it.

Matt Bevin had it up on his facebook page, but the link is faulty.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here's part of it.

View Quote

Sounds good I like what he says in regards to the EPA.  I would like to hear his thoughts on the positive (and negative) economic impacts of marijuana legalization in Colorado and if he thinks it is worth looking at for Kentucky.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Him telling EPA to pound sand sounds great to me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds good I like what he says in regards to the EPA.  I would like to hear his thoughts on the positive (and negative) economic impacts of marijuana legalization in Colorado and if he thinks it is worth looking at for Kentucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's part of it.

In his debate he said he isn't for the recreational use of Marijuana but he believes it would be okay for medicinal use. That should be, between a patient and his doctor. That was basically his response.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In his debate he said he isn't for the recreational use of Marijuana but he believes it would be okay for medicinal use. That should be, between a patient and his doctor. That was basically his response.
View Quote

I'm really not all that concerned with the use policies.  I'm much more interested in marijuana as a cash crop that can be cultivated in eastern Kentucky to help offset the huge job losses in the coal industry.  Will be interesting to see if the subject ever comes up in the state.  I'm guessing it won't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm really not all that concerned with the use policies.  I'm much more interested in marijuana as a cash crop that can be cultivated in eastern Kentucky to help offset the huge job losses in the coal industry.  Will be interesting to see if the subject ever comes up in the state.  I'm guessing it won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bevin's going after the EPA. He's going to help the coal industry here. If we can get a republican in the white house with full congress, democrats policies are going out the window. Coal would make a comeback, or at least natural gas.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bevin's going after the EPA. He's going to help the coal industry here. If we can get a republican in the white house with full congress, democrats policies are going out the window. Coal would make a comeback, or at least natural gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if all of that happens I still want to see the economics of eastern Kentucky diversify and it is worth looking at marijuana as a cash crop.  

Even with zero EPA regulations (not going to happen) we wouldn't necessarily see the coal industry rebound to previous levels.  There is a lot of natural gas in eastern Kentucky but fracking won't really work in our clay rich soil so ramping up production would happen but not to levels we see elsewhere.  I want to see the coal industry succeed but I don't want the coal industry to be the ONLY industry in our region.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Even if all of that happens I still want to see the economics of eastern Kentucky diversify and it is worth looking at marijuana as a cash crop.  

Even with zero EPA regulations (not going to happen) we wouldn't necessarily see the coal industry rebound to previous levels.  There is a lot of natural gas in eastern Kentucky but fracking won't really work in our clay rich soil so ramping up production would happen but not to levels we see elsewhere.  I want to see the coal industry succeed but I don't want the coal industry to be the ONLY industry in our region.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely agree with you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Seems like he will be better than the current worthless coward in office.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree with you when natural gas related jobs equal or surpass coal related jobs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seems like he will be better than the current worthless coward in office.
View Quote

He will be. It would almost be impossible to not be better than Beshear and his evil twin Jack Conway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw on the news today he joined the other governors in requesting no Syrian refugees be settled in Kentucky.  I understand he doesn't have any legal means to actually block them but the request has been made and I think it should be honored.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Saw on the news today he joined the other governors in requesting no Syrian refugees be settled in Kentucky.  I understand he doesn't have any legal means to actually block them but the request has been made and I think it should be honored.
View Quote

The problem is, hussein's  butt buddy, beshear,  has already invited them in.  

Note : Lower case used as an additional sign of disrespect.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When does Bevin take over? Can he reject Beshear's deal with Obama?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't think the states have any say whether or not they'll receive refugees.  I haven't heard anything about a "deal" with the feds.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'll agree with you when natural gas related jobs equal or surpass coal related jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well we already have one natural gas plant. My wife works with LG&E/KU. She said it was a reduction in workers and didn't need as many people to run it as a Coal fired plant would.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#49]
A little more on the state's right to refuse Syrian refugees:

American University law professor Stephen I. Vladeck put it this way: "Legally, states have no authority to do anything because the question of who should be allowed in this country is one that the Constitution commits to the federal government." But Vladeck noted that without the state's participation, the federal government would have a much more arduous task.

"So a state can't say it is legally objecting, but it can refuse to cooperate, which makes thing much more difficult."

Kevin Appleby, director of migration policy at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, said one tactic states could use would be to cut their own funding in areas such as resettling refugees. The conference is the largest refugee resettlement organization in the country.

But "when push comes to shove, the federal government has both the plenary power and the power of the 1980 Refugee Act to place refugees anywhere in the country," Appleby said.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Actually, the states if they really wanted to, could make the feds job alot more difficult in many areas not just the syrian immigrants issue.

Basically the states could just stop helping the feds with the enforcement of federal law which the courts have stated the states do not have to do.

The feds rely upon the states for alot of issues since they do not have the manpower to enforce federal law effectively on their own.

This is how the states could really give the feds a hard time if they chose to do so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top