Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 11:24:30 AM EDT
To try and get a campus carry bill passed. Right now, it is up to the discretion of the school, and I don't know of any that allow campus carry.

At the very least, publicly funded schools should not have the choice to disarm students from lawfully carrying, please write your representatives so we can try end the BS that is the "gun free" college campus.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
To try and get a campus carry bill passed. Right now, it is up to the discretion of the school, and I don't know of any that allow campus carry.

At the very least, publicly funded schools should not have the choice to disarm students from lawfully carrying, please write your representatives so we can try end the BS that is the "gun free" college campus.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. It is long past time for this to change. Many students that live off campus and walk to class are effectively disarmed for the entire day, even while off campus, because they won't return home before they step onto the campus. The public colleges are allowed to act as if they are private property, which they are not. The college and university administrators have blood on their hands. They hate guns more that they love the students that attend their schools. It should be obvious to anyone that wants to see, that what we have been doing does not work. There was complete gun control at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Even the security guards were unarmed. In other words, fish in a barrel. The only defense the students had was run and hide. If confronted by the shooter, beg for your life. It is inhuman.

I don't know what the answer to this is. The General Assembly could change this, but will not do it unless we demand it. I believe that the Republicans that control the Senate could be convinced to pass campus carry. The problem with this and most other gun bills is the Democrat leadership in the House. Almost all of the good gun bills passed in the last 20 years were sponsored by one man, Bob Damron of  Nicholasville. Representative Damron did not run for reelection in November of 2014, after 20 years of service. There is no House democrat  that is willing to fight for gun rights and "take the heat" from House leadership that goes along with that. There are House republicans that would do it, but the committee system is controlled by House democrat leadership (5 people) and those bills just never get committee hearings, even if enough votes are there to pass them. Writing letters, emails and making phone calls to our legislators is important, but good gun bills will not get passed until House leadership changes by being voted out of office or the fear of being voted out of office. That will take a lot of letters. If the gun owners of Ky. would get behind this it could be done, but historically Ky gun owners are very apathetic. I've already contacted my Senator and Representative about this, many times and will do it again. They are both in favor of it, and have been for years, but its not enough, we need more with that opinion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The college and university administrators have blood on their hands. They hate guns more that they love the students that attend their schools. It should be obvious to anyone that wants to see, that what we have been doing does not work. There was complete gun control at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Even the security guards were unarmed. In other words, fish in a barrel. The only defense the students had was run and hide. If confronted by the shooter, beg for your life. It is inhuman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The college and university administrators have blood on their hands. They hate guns more that they love the students that attend their schools. It should be obvious to anyone that wants to see, that what we have been doing does not work. There was complete gun control at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon. Even the security guards were unarmed. In other words, fish in a barrel. The only defense the students had was run and hide. If confronted by the shooter, beg for your life. It is inhuman.

From the main thread.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's essentially a gun free zone.
Even though the state has a law that makes it legal to carry on campus, UCC has their own policy which doesnt permit carry with in the buildings. Its legal to carry on the grounds but against policy to carry into a building. If caught with a weapon in a building the college can not legally do anything but they can expel a student.

False. UCC does not have the legal authority to create such a policy. Once again, this has been posted several times, and I even posted the legal opinion from the state legislature's council that no school district or community college has the legal authority to stop CCW on their grounds or inside their buildings.

If anyone was expelled for carrying their legally permitted handgun, the school should have been sued for violating their rights.
From the Oregon Firearms Federation

"The pre-emption statute applies to all public colleges. It is totally legal to carry a gun with a CHL on college campuses that are not private property. However, even after the Oregon University System lost a lawsuit to us over this, they continued to make policies banning guns. Community Colleges are not part of the OUS so the lawsuit did not directly impact them, but clearly the precedent was set. The policies banning guns are almost certainly illegal. The problem is few students know this. The ones who have contacted us and fought it know, but most don't and simply obey it, Schools CAN ban their employees from carrying guns. We don't know what the school's policy on that was. But clearly possession was discouraged and students were led to believe they could not carry. While it is LEGAL to carry, most schools have told students that if they carry they will suffer some kind of punishment. We have not had a case to litigate this on. The last student who came to us after being banned because he had a gun had the school immediately drop the ban when we sent our lawyer. But the schools DO tell students they cannot be armed and far too many believe them."  

I'm not an expert on their laws, but that's what was posted over there.  It sounds like students could have been (and were) carrying.

In any case, if the above description of the environment that the college fostered is accurate, you're spot on about blood being on their hands.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We're doing another violent threat graffiti incident at EKU right now. Of course, we've received the obligatory email asking us to "allow our trained law enforcement professionals to provide for the safety of all of us. Individual private protection efforts by well-meaning people will impede our efforts to investigate this case and provide comprehensive security protection in the days ahead."
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We're doing another violent threat graffiti incident at EKU right now. Of course, we've received the obligatory email asking us to "allow our trained law enforcement professionals to provide for the safety of all of us. Individual private protection efforts by well-meaning people will impede our efforts to investigate this case and provide comprehensive security protection in the days ahead."
View Quote

Is a " violent threat graffiti incident " what I think it is? That seems like it could be anything from a "kill 'em all" written under some boobs in the mens room on up to the chapel being desecrated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Allow me to quote the email from the university:
"The Eastern Kentucky University Police Department is investigating a report of bathroom graffiti with threatening language found in the Powell Building Sunday, October 4 (reported in the early hours of October 5th).  The message states "KILL ALL BY 10/8/15 THIS BU OOP."

We had a similar thing last winter. It would be roll-your-ridiculous, if it weren't for the past where these freak shithead losers occasionally target small universities where you'd think it would never happen.

I find it personally offensive that I'm instructed to basically think good thoughts and HOPE that should it actually happen, it won't be in the classroom I happen to be in.

No offense intended, of course, to any of the LE folks here. I don't doubt their competence or bravery - I'm merely aware that first shots are NEVER fired next to a cop and that a lot of people can die before a trained professional can be brought to bear on a situation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is a " violent threat graffiti incident " what I think it is? That seems like it could be anything from a "kill 'em all" written under some boobs in the mens room on up to the chapel being desecrated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that it had a date along with the boobs and, almost verbatim, "kill 'em all".
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a call back from my state Rep, there is a campus carry bill that's been floating around and they're starting to push for it again supposedly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
EKU policy pretty much only allows you to use pepper spray to defend yourself.
Good luck and hope the shooter kills himself before he kills you since Police aren't likely to get there before that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
News article on EKU threat

How in the hell does closing classes and moving a game change things?

Is a bad guy who actually wants to hurt people going to go, "Well golly gee I guess I'll have to go to a dorm or drive to a different location". This still seems to let the terrorist win by changing day-to-day behavior.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
News article on EKU threat

How in the hell does closing classes and moving a game change things?

Is a bad guy who actually wants to hurt people going to go, "Well golly gee I guess I'll have to go to a dorm or drive to a different location". This still seems to let the terrorist win by changing day-to-day behavior.
View Quote

It changes one thing. There are always people who are frightened when they find out that it is possible for them to be hurt by other people. They have lived a life where they thought that couldn't happen. When they find out, they demand that those in charge "do something" to put it all right again. This is the "something" that the administrators decided would fix things. If nothing happens, which is 99% of the time, they take credit for "fixing it", if all goes wrong, they say "we did all we could". In either case, they are off the hook, and have done "something". Inaction is the only wrong choice here. They can't be blamed for anything they do. After all, "something" was done. What it changes is, now the administration has cover for anything that may happen. For the students, nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
EKU policy pretty much only allows you to use pepper spray to defend yourself.
Good luck and hope the shooter kills himself before he kills you since Police aren't likely to get there before that.
View Quote

Ayup. It's a shitshow. The University does not have a single good choice in this situation. Even if they allowed students a fighting chance by allowing us to be armed, could they, in good conscience, hold classes?

I dunno. I have a Latin 101 course this semester that is kicking my ass. This sorry fuck and the days out of the classroom he's causing aren't doing me a lot of favors. Fortunately, I'm an adult student and have plenty to do at home to stay busy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top