Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 8:57:22 PM EDT
Hello Kentucky-ians.

I'm a non-liberal-type looking to move to KY, between Louisville and Lexington, in about 9-12 months.    I just spent a few days in Paris, KY with some of wife's good friends and we really liked Frankfort and Lexington (Louisville not so much, but I'm sure it has some 'nice parts').   Been living in Arkansas for way too long -- not really a native of the south -- ready to 'go north'.

I love your Rand Paul and I'm starting to wonder if Mitch McConnell is much better than a 'moderate' liberal.   Arkansas replacing Mark Pryor with Tom Cotton is paying off... .you're welcome :-)

Anywayz... I need to be outside city limits (so I can shoot my guns in my yard) and I need reliable internet access, plus 4G cell / Verizon.   I'm bringing one offspring with me (maybe two if he wants).  

Wife and I have Arkansas 'concealed carry licenses' which we will convert as soon as we can.   I'll be shooting, reloading and hunting as much as I can (and getting in the faces of trespassers and poachers).   I would need NFA-friendly as a suppressor is in my future.  And I'll be looking for a community / survivalist group.

So whats can anyone say or offer?   I'll be scouring the real estate websites, etc., and maps.google.com as I have time.  
Thanks to anyone who has time for this foreigner...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello Kentucky-ians.

I'm a non-liberal-type looking to move to KY, between Louisville and Lexington, in about 9-12 months.    I just spent a few days in Paris, KY with some of wife's good friends and we really liked Frankfort and Lexington (Louisville not so much, but I'm sure it has some 'nice parts').   Been living in Arkansas for way too long -- not really a native of the south -- ready to 'go north'.

I love your Rand Paul and I'm starting to wonder if Mitch McConnell is much better than a 'moderate' liberal.   Arkansas replacing Mark Pryor with Tom Cotton is paying off... .you're welcome :-)

Anywayz... I need to be outside city limits (so I can shoot my guns in my yard) and I need reliable internet access, plus 4G cell / Verizon.   I'm bringing one offspring with me (maybe two if he wants).  

Wife and I have Arkansas 'concealed carry licenses' which we will convert as soon as we can.   I'll be shooting, reloading and hunting as much as I can (and getting in the faces of trespassers and poachers).   I would need NFA-friendly as a suppressor is in my future.  And I'll be looking for a community / survivalist group.

So whats can anyone say or offer?   I'll be scouring the real estate websites, etc., and maps.google.com as I have time.  
Thanks to anyone who has time for this foreigner...
View Quote

Anderson county is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
For what you seem to want, don't bother looking in Fayette Co. There are some places in the surrounding counties that might work for you. The further you are from I64 and I75, the more likely you are to find what you want at a good price.
If you want to live where you can shoot in the yard, 4G is not likely at this time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Madison County, about 11 miles from I75, 12 miles from Richmond, and about 15 miles from Lexington. I shoot in my yard, no one complains because they do it also. Very rural setting, my AT&T cell works fine, Internet is available, but their customer service is a little lacking. There are a couple of properties for sale locally. I'm not a realtor but I can tell you what I can. PM if interested.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what you seem to want, don't bother looking in Fayette Co. There are some places in the surrounding counties that might work for you. The further you are from I64 and I75, the more likely you are to find what you want at a good price.
If you want to live where you can shoot in the yard, 4G is not likely at this time.
View Quote

hmmmm..k ...Fayette is Lexington.... when I say shoot in my yard... I mean, back yard.  haha, if that helps...
...or even walking 50 -100 yards to the woods in my 'back yard'.   But shooting off my back porch would be grand.
As far as 4G, I wonder how well I could do with a 20-40' tower with a directional cell antenna on it.   I used to run a
'terrestrial wireless internet' outfit, I know a few things about that stuff.

The only reason I mention 4G is for the 'backup' internet access it could provide if my primary method is down.  Reliable internet is a must.
(which might translate to:   I need a place with reliable internet + buying some land somewheres not too far away)

-
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in Madison County, about 11 miles from I75, 12 miles from Richmond, and about 15 miles from Lexington. I shoot in my yard, no one complains because they do it also. Very rural setting, my AT&T cell works fine, Internet is available, but their customer service is a little lacking. There are a couple of properties for sale locally. I'm not a realtor but I can tell you what I can. PM if interested.
View Quote

Tell me about this internet service...   You got an antenna on your house or something?    Got a website or some contact info for them?
-
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Anderson county is what you seek.
View Quote

This  *is*  between the big cities and near Frankfort.   If ever unemployed, I need to be near cities to fix that problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
while I'm here:
I have a Living Trust with an NFA item in it.   I'll need to check with an attorney in KY about my trust before pestering the ATF about the move.   Any recommendations?

Thanks...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been living in Arkansas for way too long -- not really a native of the south -- ready to 'go north'.
View Quote

Not trying to be negative or discouraging, but you sure you've got the right state?

With maybe the exception of Jefferson Co. and the counties that border Cincinnati I'd hardly call Kentucky more "northern" than Arkansas.  I'll guarantee any place you can shoot off your back porch around here will be culturally "southern".
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tell me about this internet service...   You got an antenna on your house or something?    Got a website or some contact info for them?
-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-

Satellite, the company is called "Exede" or something similar. It works fine 99% of the time, but when it does have a problem customer service don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I have to stay on the line and ask for a tech. Possibly switching to one of the big names soon, Verizon maybe. Exede has unlimited midnight to 6am data usage, Verizon is unlimited 24/7 and $10 cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not trying to be negative or discouraging, but you sure you've got the right state?

With maybe the exception of Jefferson Co. and the counties that border Cincinnati I'd hardly call Kentucky more "northern" than Arkansas.  I'll guarantee any place you can shoot off your back porch around here will be culturally "southern".
View Quote

Yes.   Actually, I'd prefer Montana, but there's nothing there, job wise, for wife or myself.   All issues considered (and there are a bunch), KY, btwn Louis and Lex, is my best option.
I'm not seeking to get away from a particular culture.

It's complicated.... which is why I'm starting nearly a year in advance.
--
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Satellite, the company is called "Exede" or something similar. It works fine 99% of the time, but when it does have a problem customer service don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I have to stay on the line and ask for a tech. Possibly switching to one of the big names soon, Verizon maybe. Exede has unlimited midnight to 6am data usage, Verizon is unlimited 24/7 and $10 cheaper.
View Quote

Heh.   Satellite.   Goes up into outer space and back down, twice, before it finally gets to *you*.   With passive amplifiers (such as a directional antenna - if needed), I'd think 'cell' service would be pretty reliable.
-
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been living in Arkansas for way too long -- not really a native of the south -- ready to 'go north'.

*OP*- If I dropped you off blind folded in my county you'd swear you were in Alabama
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

*OP*- If I dropped you off blind folded in my county you'd swear you were in Alabama
View Quote

You may be right... but I've never been to Alabama.   I'm optimistic I'll find most of what I want and need.
-
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
KY is a nice place. I like the rolling blue grass hills of frankfort but Louisville is nice or bowling green if youre looking for something a bit smaller.

FWIW i live in Cincinnati so im not the biggest expert on KY.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Frankfort/Franklin County or Lawrenceburg/Anderson County (as already mentioned) would be perfect.  Just 5-10 minutes max from town and you can shoot in your yard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top