Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
State Senator Reginald Thomas of Lexington has prefiled a bill for the 2016 session of the General Assembly. This bill is a duplicate of his bill from last year that will completely gut our state laws on justification for the use of force and deadly force and the right to "stand your ground" in case of confrontation with physical force. You can see a summarry of the bill here: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/16RS/SB13.htm

If you want to see the entire bill, just click the bill number (BR 21) in the upper left corner of the summary.

The bill went nowhere last year. It never got a committee hearing in the Senate. I doubt it will do much better this year, but we need to watch it and see that it doesn't get to a committee.

Senator Thomas thinks that this change  is needed, because of the very common occurrence of whites murdering blacks and using the existing laws to get away without any punishment. This happens almost every day in Ky. and this change will allow the courts to punish the murderers. Whether this bill passes or not, just introducing it will get Senator Thomas a lot of praise in his district. This will be very popular with his constituents and will give them one more reason to claim they are repressed when it doesn't pass. Its a win-win for Thomas.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I discussed this with him last year when he introduced it. Sadly, he cannot understand (or will not begin to admit) the foolishness of his thinking. The only way he will stop, is to no longer be in his position. Electing someone else is the only correct answer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
A good way to get through to someone that doesn't understand the concept of armed self defense is to ask them a simple question.

Who owns you?
What?, nobody "owns" me.
So you are free to do what you want to do?
Yes of course.
I agree we are free to do what we want (within the law of course), but what if someone else decides they are going to make you do what they want?
I would tell them no.
Ok, but what if they are determined to control you and use force to do so, then what? Unless you are willing to fight for your freedom, then now they own you. Shouldn't you be able to defend yourself against such people?
Yes, but....
No buts about it. You have an absolute right to defend yourself, and limits on that right as to what tools you can use to fight with or what you should have to do before you can fight are immoral. Those restrictions only favor the person(s) wishing to enslave you.

Anyone that doesn't understand this simple truth is not fit to be in any position of power.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Filthy piece of worthless trash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top