Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 6:27:33 PM EDT
KC3 got wind of “No Weapons” signs at the Pulaski County Health Dept. and I started doing some investigating. It turns out that there are 10 southeastern Ky. counties joined together to form the Lake Cumberland District Health Department. It is largest (in area) health district in Ky. LCDHD serves Clinton, Cumberland, McCreary, Pulaski, Wayne, Adair, Casey, Green, Russell and Taylor Cos.. The main district office is in Somerset. I sent an Open Records Request to the District office for any polices they had on the posession of weapons on LCDHD property. An I got this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LAVttaAgZeVgEAV2zfSaHMyllHn2jzWXBAyQXRFBhnoCXpgPn zeaS0QkX HZ8ezrzFsL0SCf_zUsxR119/view?usp=sharing

I sent an email to the Executive Director of LCDHD, Shaun Crabtree and explained the law to him. I never received a reply. About a week later I called Mr. Crabtree. He was not very receptive to my suggestions that he was violating the state law. The phone call became him yelling and cursing, before he told me to never call again, that the policy would never be changed and him slamming the phone down. Later, I got an email with more of the same from Mr. Crabtree.

After a little more work, I found out that the Chairman of the Board of LCDHD was John Phelps, Co. Judge/Executive of Cumberland Co. I sent Judge Phelps an email similar to the one I sent Mr. Crabtree. When I called Judge Phelps, the response was much different. Judge Phelps actually apologised and said that the matter had just slipped by him, but would be fixed at the next board meeting. That meeting was held last Tuesday night and they voted, “almost unanimously” to rescind the weapons policy completely.  Judge Phelps called me the next day and promisted to send me a copy of the minutes of the meeting just so I could see that it had been done. I asked about Mr. Crabtree and how he reacted to the vote and was told, “Mr. Crabtree will just have to learn to obey the law like the rest of us”. The signs will be taken down and the policy removed from the policy manual. Judge Phelps did say that it might take a little while to get to all of the signs. They only have one maintenance crew for all 11 offices. (The 10 county offices and the central district office.) I post a lot on opencarry.org and several facebook pages, so I get these things from all over, but can always use more to add to my list. I can't fix them if I don’t know about them and I can’t travel all over the state looking for them. Send me all you can find. I love being a pain in the ass to these people. Preemption applies to all public agencies and includes libraries, fire districts, health depts., park depts, city and county agencies. If you aren't sure if they are covered, tell me anyway. I'll find out for sure.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
“Mr. Crabtree will just have to learn to obey the law like the rest of us”.
View Quote

The evil side of me is very amused by this.  Sounds like the judge had a few words with him over it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You should tape your phone conversations. The One with Mr Crabtree could have been turned over to the media. What a jerk. Maybe his e-mail should be forwarded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top