Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2015 9:54:44 AM EDT
I've been flip flopping on joining the military for the past decade and am starting to look at that age limitation.

I figure the Guard would be a good fit to get a feel, but not jump all the way in as I do have a house and would like to stay in Kentucky for the most part.

Thoughts or experiences? My company pays for the 2 week training and I believe basic as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been flip flopping on joining the military for the past decade and am starting to look at that age limitation.

I figure the Guard would be a good fit to get a feel, but not jump all the way in as I do have a house and would like to stay in Kentucky for the most part.

Thoughts or experiences? My company pays for the 2 week training and I believe basic as well.
View Quote

I got out about two years ago. I'll ask you this. Did you enjoy high school and the clicks?

I was in for 6 years, and now that we're going into peace time you'll be doing a lot of time wasting stuff. I was 26 when I joined.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother is in, and I've thought about joining as well, but I'm going to wait until we're actively fighting somewhere for a couple reasons. The biggest reason, as the poster above me said, there's going to be a lot of time wasting activities and that is not something I want to do. I'd also like to wait until they're needing more folks and are offering big signing bonuses again. I'd also like to be serving under a President that recognizes the fact that we're in a war rather than just trying to appease our enemies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I got out about two years ago. I'll ask you this. Did you enjoy high school and the clicks?

I was in for 6 years, and now that we're going into peace time you'll be doing a lot of time wasting stuff. I was 26 when I joined.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one of those spoiled Trinity boys, so I really didn't get my share of cliques. Honestly, as long as I have a few people to chat and spend the time with, that's fine by me.

I'm 28 and growing up always was out playing in the woods dressed in camo, thinking I would be in the Army. The past decade I've been hesitant due to college, war, and the unknown, but in reflection I wish I had. I was afraid and instead of jumping in, I've been miserable in a 9-5 and have nothing to show for it.

I figure the Guard could be a nice bridge. Worst case I go to boot camp (paid), then twiddle my thumbs for a weekend a month, then 2 weeks a year (again, paid). Best case I get to see what I have been missing, no longer have questions and regrets, and get paid to exercise and if it's all rainbows and unicorns, a new career.

Big picture, after high school and college, without a structure, I've floated. A little structure and reckoning would be good whether it's with the Guard or some other organization.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My brother is in, and I've thought about joining as well, but I'm going to wait until we're actively fighting somewhere for a couple reasons. The biggest reason, as the poster above me said, there's going to be a lot of time wasting activities and that is not something I want to do. I'd also like to wait until they're needing more folks and are offering big signing bonuses again. I'd also like to be serving under a President that recognizes the fact that we're in a war rather than just trying to appease our enemies.
View Quote

Obama was an excuse I used as well, but I've come to see that presidents aren't all that different. I like the concept of the Guard as a militia of sort that serves Kentucky first. I've heard it's very difficult to volunteer for service, but that'd be something I'd be interested in exploring more down the road.

I emailed and called the recruiter last week and never heard back. I think their quota is awfully tiny and doubt I could swing a bonus anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Obama was an excuse I used as well, but I've come to see that presidents aren't all that different. I like the concept of the Guard as a militia of sort that serves Kentucky first. I've heard it's very difficult to volunteer for service, but that'd be something I'd be interested in exploring more down the road.

I emailed and called the recruiter last week and never heard back. I think their quota is awfully tiny and doubt I could swing a bonus anytime soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah there's definitely no bonuses right now, which is the biggest reason I'm holding back. If I'm going to do it I'm going to do it while getting the most benefit out of it for myself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i am in the reserves and have been for almost 14 years. PM me if intersted in joining. i can see about taking you down to our unit during a drill weekend if you want to see what we do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top