Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm down in Lexington, never been to an ARF shoot or meetup before but this looks fun! Don't have camping equipment but I have friends pretty close by I could probably stay with. I've also only got 223, 5.45 and 7.62 rifles but I can rock some nice underpowered Tula in 223 if necessary.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It's about 1:10 from downtown Lexington to the compound.

Any of those rifles should be fine. I still don't have the steel in order to start testing the set up yet. I get paid Friday and will order them then. Then the testing begins!.

You do have a pistol, dontcha? Some scenarios will require a pistol. If you need to, pick up some 9mm and use mine,

I'll be meeting a lot of these Arfcommers for the first time as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Do stages require transitions or is it mostly static.  Should rifles/carbines have slings?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A sling would be a good idea. Transitions are very likely in at least one scenario. 22 bad guys in one setup. If you're caught with an empty rifle you may want to transition to pistol until you find cover for a reload. You could get by with a tactical reload or 2.

Or you can just adapt to the gear that you have. Transitions can be done by placing your rifle on a table, eg.

I'll compose a recommended gear list tonight. Anything you don't have you can borrow or work around.

ETA: Most stages will involve at least some movement.
The "Jungle Lane" is a stroll through the jungle.
The shoot house will involve clearing ~ 5 rooms.
"Gas station" is planned for shooting from rear of the "car", the front of the "car" and moving into the gas station doorway.
One stage is posted on page 1.
"Screw your buddy" has some randomly decided lateral motion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any of those rifles should be fine. I still don't have the steel in order to start testing the set up yet. I get paid Friday and will order them then. Then the testing begins!.

You do have a pistol, dontcha? Some scenarios will require a pistol. If you need to, pick up some 9mm and use mine,

View Quote

This is arfcom! I got plenty of pistols

The scenarios sound like a lot of fun and its the type of shooting I want to get into doing but is difficult on my own at public ranges. I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm in!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Ideally you would have the following gear:

lunch
chair
hydration
hat
sunscreen
insect repellant
good boots or shoes.
camera

eye and ear protection
pistol with belt, holster and spare mag holder or 2.
rifle with sling and mag holder.
3 mags per weapon.
9mm ammo if you want to run a pistol caliber carbine on CQB steel.
enough ammo.

Don't worry if you don't have everything listed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The scenarios sound like a lot of fun and its the type of shooting I want to get into doing but is difficult on my own at public ranges. I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you're here in Lexington, Buds is having some 2 gun shoots the last Wednesday of the month in their tactical range. You should be able to practice a little before heading up to Joker's. They setup the tactical range with USPSA/IDPA type stages. They also have IDPA pistol matches every Tuesday evening.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put me down as a potential. I've got the pistol covered, but I'm not sure my lever-action .22 counts for the rifle stage
View Quote

If you do, I'll shoot it with mine too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I finally made it down to the range yesterday. I was waiting for the ground to dry up and the grass to grow in so I wouldn't rut up the trails.  

It's in good shape! The shoot house walls weren't blown to hell like last year. The "cabin" is still standing. All the rollers, steel droppers and popups are in good shape. The range mower turned over on the first attempt!

I took inventory to compare equipment with the plan. I'm 22 target stands short. I painted the dueling tree, cleaned up loose debris and started laying out some of the scenarios. I tore down the old plate rack to retrieve the plates.

On the way back to the house I took a short stroll through the woods where the "Jungle Lane" will be. Depending on the undergrowth I may have to change the name. It's pretty open ground right now. The trail is only about 200 yards but will contain ~15 targets. I figure the RSOs will walk 400 yards round trip X 20(?) yards with each shooter. That's plenty long enough. I went to order the steel targets and they are "Out of stock" Hopefully that will be remedied soon. I need them in 5 weeks minimum.

Welding continues on the plate rack. It's slow going because I'm designing it as I go. Grinding the hinges and old welding off the plates slowed me down as well. No real plan so we'll see how it goes.

Late last night I worked on a little something each shooter will receive.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone in Northern KY have access to some old valve springs? I need about 2 dozen. These are for mounting the AR500 targets. A little flex is good for the steel and helps to hear the ring.

The target Co. tells me the steel will be in within the week so my order will be filled shortly. Nice guys. Good customer service. Quick comms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone in Northern KY have access to some old valve springs? I need about 2 dozen. These are for mounting the AR500 targets. A little flex is good for the steel and helps to hear the ring.

The target Co. tells me the steel will be in within the week so my order will be filled shortly. Nice guys. Good customer service. Quick comms.
View Quote

Any one here with a salvage yard?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I sh0uld be in this weekend and I can supply th0se if y0u can wait that l0ng.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hells yeah! The steel targets are still on order so no huge hurry. Let me know where and when and I'll come get them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hells yeah! The steel targets are still on order so no huge hurry. Let me know where and when and I'll come get them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sh0uld be back in the c0untry Friday.

I'll h0ller when I get 'em r0unded up and meet y0u halfway.

I'm 0nly 10 minutes 0ut 0f Walt0n s0 it's n0t far.

S0rry, the 0 key crapped 0ut s0 all 0's are zer0s.    
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great. Take y0ur time, settle in. I'm a wh0le 15 minutes fr0m Walt0n c0ming fr0m the west.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got the order in for the steel for the Jungle Lane. Great guy on the other end of that transaction. I look forward to wringing out his product.

By the way Jungle Lane will now be known as "Copperhead".
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got the order in for the steel for the Jungle Lane. Great guy on the other end of that transaction. I look forward to wringing out his product.

By the way Jungle Lane will now be known as "Copperhead".
View Quote

I've been told to stay away from Copperhead road.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Joker - I am greatly anticipating your shoot now after reading through this thread. I've had all the necessary gear for this type of thing for some time but not had the means to exercise most of it extensively.

I have a couple of friends who are interested (but not definite attendees as I am) but who are not Arfcommers. One is an experienced shooter with all the equipment, another is minimally experienced but does own his own hardware and has shot rifles and pistols on several occasions. What's your policy on guests this year, and do you need a definite RSVP from them by a certain date?

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The criteria is "safe, legal and responsible gun handlers." For the less experienced guy it's your call. Is he safe?  If yes, they're both welcome. If unsure bring him up some other weekend and we'll bring him up to speed.

There is no deadline or cutoff. My list right now is a whole lotta maybe. In the beginning of May I'll try to get more solid answers just to have a game plan to get every one through all stages. How many snakes do I need to get for "Copperhead Road"? I want to have 3 snakes per shooter minimum. Food purchase is another factor for a head count. Do I buy 1 or 2 packs of Kraft singles for cheese sammiches to feed those that can't hit the valley target? Is a half barrel of beer going to be enough?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Snakes!    That would be awesome.    If you get rattlesnakes, we can cook them up pretty easily.   They are good either grilled or deep fried.    I'd like to run my Benelli M3 with extended mag and 7 1/2 shot on the snake lane.    I suppose everyone knows it is like turkey hunting.   Aim for the head and save the meat.  

Copperheads are just nasty.   They stink, are generally smaller, and not as good eating.    I think they are meaner too.  

Any chance of using rattlesnakes instead of copperheads, in spite of the song, "Copperhead Road"?  

The only down side is possibly the heat while wearing snake chaps/gators.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!      

H0mie d0n't d0 snakes!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Snakes!    That would be awesome.    If you get rattlesnakes, we can cook them up pretty easily.   They are good either grilled or deep fried.    I'd like to run my Benelli M3 with extended mag and 7 1/2 shot on the snake lane.    I suppose everyone knows it is like turkey hunting.   Aim for the head and save the meat.  

Copperheads are just nasty.   They stink, are generally smaller, and not as good eating.    I think they are meaner too.  

Any chance of using rattlesnakes instead of copperheads, in spite of the song, "Copperhead Road"?  

The only down side is possibly the heat while wearing snake chaps/gators.
View Quote

Copperheads cause ninja. No sound. Rules of the "Road" are no boots, no gators, no chaps. Flip flops or Crocs only.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#23]
From 20 minutes ago:

The tree trunk above is the tree branch overhead in the following pic:

Also from this afternoon, all through the back sliding door...

There she is!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in, so is my wife.  Is this kid friendly or should I find a sitter?  I may have missed it, will there be shotgun?

Also I have an extra timer and a couple rifle rated half-torsos and a rifle rated plate rack if you want to use it.  They can be used for rifle, pistol or any shotgun ammo.  Rifle plate racks are a crap ton of fun.  I also have some extra guns and gear if anyone needs anything.

Oh is the camping offer for the day before or the night of the match?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm in, so is my wife.  Is this kid friendly or should I find a sitter?  I may have missed it, will there be shotgun?

Also I have an extra timer and a couple rifle rated half-torsos and a rifle rated plate rack if you want to use it.  They can be used for rifle, pistol or any shotgun ammo.  Rifle plate racks are a crap ton of fun.  I also have some extra guns and gear if anyone needs anything.

Oh is the camping offer for the day before or the night of the match?
View Quote

We'd love to have you. Answers in order asked:

1) There will be a yute or 2 there. It's your kid so it's your call if they can handle it to watch or shoot.
2) Shotgun is a probably for one short drill.
3) Bring the timer.
4) I'll have plenty of steel. 17 rifle rated, Over 20 pistol rated.
5) Rifle rack... naw. I don't really have a place for it this year. Next year...
6) Nice offer for the gear. It sounds like most are covered. I'll have extra for every stage.
7) Camping. Whenever. I'm always willing to shoot the following day as well. Just not too early.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
PFC DUSTIN,

You should not take your wife to this event.    It is way too dangerous.    Guys will be falling over themselves.    Heck,   someone will end up walking in front of a shooter.  

Naw, really bad idea.

Hey, tell her about the snakes.    That might scare her away.

Edit :   There was some online contest his wife was in.    He posted a link to her pics.    People went ape and begged for bot photos.    

Might be a distraction ... and safety hazard.      LOL!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey Joker - if you're still taking "maybes", put me down as one.

Would love to get out and shoot some, but hard to pin down availability that far out these days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My buddy Monty and I walked everything again today rearranging the range. There will be a total of 15 challenges/scenarios available. Minimum round count (2 rounds per target minimum requirement) is approximately 120 rifle rounds, 230 pistol rounds and a box of shotgun shells.

No shit we saw 2 of these in the rock pile on the range today! No worries. They're milk snakes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
PFC DUSTIN,

You should not take your wife to this event.    It is way too dangerous.    Guys will be falling over themselves.    Heck,   someone will end up walking in front of a shooter.  

Naw, really bad idea.

Edit :   There was some online contest his wife was in.    He posted a link to her pics.    People went ape and begged for bot photos.    

View Quote

Hey now, my RSOs and I make sure the shoot is run as safely as humanly possible. PFCDustin's wife will not be the only woman present. I always encourage family participation. If your still worried about peeing I will provide a Foley Catheter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hey now, my RSOs and I make sure the shoot is run as safely as humanly possible. PFCDustin's wife will not be the only woman present. I always encourage family participation. If your still worried about peeing I will provide a Foley Catheter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PFC DUSTIN,

Naw, really bad idea.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Would love to get out and shoot some, but hard to pin down availability that far out these days.
View Quote

You're on the list! All I'm hoping for is a semi-firm commitment 2 weeks prior for planning and food shopping.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You're on the list! All I'm hoping for is a semi-firm commitment 2 weeks prior for planning and food shopping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can do, thanks!

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PFC DUSTIN,

Naw, really bad idea.

View Quote

Lol thanks, she got a pretty big kick out of that.

We will definitely be there and camping.  Still haven't decided on the kids yet.  Is anyone else camping?  I figured that's the only way to really drink and hang out afterwards.

What's that address?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I am so glad both of you got my joke.  

I'll wear safety glasses with shields on the sides,  (like blinders), so I should be OK, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We will definitely be there and camping.  Still haven't decided on the kids yet.  Is anyone else camping?  I figured that's the only way to really drink and hang out afterwards.

What's that address?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PFC DUSTIN,

Naw, really bad idea.

What's that address?

Monty will be RVing, Digital Chaos is slumming in the hunt shack, a couple others may camp or stay with their friends near by.

When we get closer to the event I'll IM everyone with maps and coordinates. I'm 10 minutes from Verona and Warsaw, 16 minutes from Walton.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am so glad both of you got my joke.  

I'll wear safety glasses with shields on the sides,  (like blinders), so I should be OK, maybe.
View Quote

At no point in time have you posted that you are coming. Your not on the list. Are you planning to attend?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Will there be some kind of fire to hang out around or will this be like a hang out for food and then clear out before dark kind of thing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:17:47 AM EDT
[#38]
There will be fire. You can hang as long as you want. I may doze in a lawn chair. I get pretty whipped putting these on.
3 years ago there was drunken, midnight off-roading.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There will be fire. You can hang as long as you want. I may doze in a lawn chair. I get pretty whipped putting these on.
3 years ago there was drunken, midnight off-roading.
View Quote

I would very much like drunken night time off-roading lol.  Last time I did that I got to buy a new motor and bumpers for my truck lol.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Small updates:
The steel for Copperhead Road has shipped and will be here by the end of the week.
The plate rack is finished! It'll get a little paint this week and hopefully this weekend Durramax will help test it out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Small updates:
The steel for Copperhead Road has shipped and will be here by the end of the week.
The plate rack is finished! It'll get a little paint this week and hopefully this weekend Durramax will help test it out.
View Quote

Is everything drying out decently to where we can get out there?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#42]
So far. Yesterday's sprinkle wouldn't make too much mud. The grass is coming in strong too.

But... 240% chance of rain in the next 5 days.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So far. Yesterday's sprinkle wouldn't make too much mud. The grass is coming in strong too.

But... 240% chance of rain in the next 5 days.
View Quote

Well let me know, I'd be available Saturday from noon to around 3 or so when I've got some things to do to help my dad out at his place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Joker I'm in Indy for the week but if you need those things bad I can make my excuses and do an overnight run to get them to you.

Just let me know.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh Lord, no! Don't make a special trip! I'll get them from you sometime when it's convenient.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Joker,

I'm going to have to make myself a "possible" attendee as of right now.  My back issues just flared up for the worse and may be off for an extended amount of time from work(even though I am already scheduled off that day).  Let me get healthy and I will be much more committed.

Again, thanks for the invite and hosting an awesome event!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Aw, man. I hope you feel better, even good enough to shoot with us. No worries here. I'll save you a spot and if you can make it, great!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, I received the steel targets for Copperhead Road. I painted them today and threw together a stand for it. I need to blast the hell out of it and make sure it holds up. My prowess with a welder is legendary.

Here's a peak of what you'll be looking for in the jungle. Good luck spotting these suckers at 100 yards!

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Well, I received the steel targets for Copperhead Road. I painted them today and threw together a stand for it. I need to blast the hell out of it and make sure it holds up. My prowess with a welder is legendary.

Here's a peak of what you'll be looking for in the jungle. Good luck spotting these suckers at 100 yards!

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4102.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4101.jpg

View Quote

I don't have to see the target - I'll manage to hit the rebar no matter where I aim.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't have to see the target - I'll manage to hit the rebar no matter where I aim.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4102.jpg
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/markfhagenauer/DSCF4101.jpg

It's not rebar. It's a compressed tubular Tannerite. I thought that might hold up better.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top