Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 12:14:43 PM EDT
My question for you guys is have a loaded rifle in my car while driving through your state cool law enforcement wise ?

I'm going up to Ohio this weekend and would like to have my AR if the Grand Jury comes out with the Michael Brown decision this weekend. I know my CCW is good in your state and no Duty to inform if I'm pulled over ,but I would really like to have my rifle with me. I don't want to become the next Reginald Denny when I get to Cincinnati if riots start.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, you're good.

The CCDW license covers rifles as well if they're concealed.  

If it's not concealed then zero fucks given, no restrictions on it.  Lay the thing across the dash if you want.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool,I figured from what research I did I would be fine but like to hear from people that live in the state.

I'm just driving through to Ohio and right back to FL as fast as I can. Now I'm just waiting for some Ohio guys to chime in their HTF.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
KY resident who grew up around Cincinnati with a Pro-tip - Use I-275 to go around Cincy as much as possible. This really does not add any driving time as there is usually less traffic and definitely less construction.

Even without the crazy Furguson stuff, going around on 275 then in to where I need to be always seems less stressful to me. The construction through town on I-75 isn't awful, but why deal with 45mph zones and cement walls when you can go around and have some elbow room and a nice view?

I hope that helps. Dunno how familiar you are with Cincinnati. Cincy is a weird town, you can be in a business district, a block later in kind of a hipster artsy district, then cross the street and quickly realize you need to be somewhere else right now.

Where specifically are you headed?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The business district I believe.Never been to Ohio so I don't know what to expect.I just figured a city where a riot could break out if they find no cause to prosecute Officer Wilson.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The business district I believe.Never been to Ohio so I don't know what to expect.I just figured a city where a riot could break out if they find no cause to prosecute Officer Wilson.
View Quote

The worst areas of Cincinnati are actually actoss the bridge in KY.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up in NKY - have been on those blocks in Cincy where you realize you need to GTFO!  Been all over Covington/Newport too and don't need or want to go there but comparatively - not sure what you are talking about...

OP - Cincy covers a large area, as was stated, use as much of I-275 as you can and avoid 75/71 through down town proper - ESPECIALLY if the Grand Jury declines to charge Ofc. Wilson

On that, I bet they will release tomorrow to water down and cover up the BS Obummer is spewing tonight...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be more concerned about officer interaction in Ohio than Kentucky.  This is based on stories from people I know and a few videos I've seen of Ohio cops (not sure what jurisdictions) behaving badly when it comes to firearms.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would be more concerned about officer interaction in Ohio than Kentucky.  This is based on stories from people I know and a few videos I've seen of Ohio cops (not sure what jurisdictions) behaving badly when it comes to firearms.
View Quote

Agree...  especially Cincinnati.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Grew up in NKY - have been on those blocks in Cincy where you realize you need to GTFO!  Been all over Covington/Newport too and don't need or want to go there but comparatively - not sure what you are talking about...

OP - Cincy covers a large area, as was stated, use as much of I-275 as you can and avoid 75/71 through down town proper - ESPECIALLY if the Grand Jury declines to charge Ofc. Wilson

On that, I bet they will release tomorrow to water down and cover up the BS Obummer is spewing tonight...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newport at night is no joke, atleast it was back in the 80s.

Maybe I'm thinking about Covington. What ever is right on the other side of the river.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't remember any riots in NKY

I do remember riots in Cincy around 2001 right.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe I'm thinking about Covington. What ever is right on the other side of the river.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They aren't that great in the day, either--at least not the parts I've been through.  Definitely places I'm glad my G19 was handy, rather than my usual snubby

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
All joking aside, you should be fine in Kentucky.    

You should have no issues in KY.  However, I strongly encourage to thoroughly research the legal environment for Ohio.    I do not know that they allow loaded long guns in vehicles, without regard to concealed carry.    There are other issues I have noted below.

What makes Greater Cincinnati great is Northern Kentucky.    Even the Greater Cincinnati International Airport is in Kentucky.   LOL!

Some people do like joke around about the supposed rough areas of Kentucky, but there isn't anything to it.  

Newport used to be the off post "entertainment" district for Ft. Thomas at one time.     It is known as an old "steel town".   The guys would go to Newport on Friday and Saturday nights while the wives went to Newport on Sundays.    In the days of prohibition, it was know for "Speakeasies".     It was also known a bit of mob town at one time.      The famous "Beverly Hills"  fire occurred in 1977 on one of roads heading from Newport to Ft. Thomas.    Many tie that great loss of life to mob associates.    All that started to change in the 80's as the city started trying to eliminate strip clubs.   Yet, there are still a few, though far different than its glory days of the 60's and 70's.     Today, Newport is known as a family friendly destination and entertainment area.    The old slums  have been torn down.    The Newport Aquarium sits in a great area for dinning.     It is know for trendy/preppy bars.    Newport is known for festivals along the river walk area.

Late one night, I was walking down the one of the main drags in Newport, Monmouth street.    I stepped into the alcove of a business that closed for the evening.   My holster was irritating me, and it required immediate attention.   An uniformed cop spotted me and walked up on me.   He asked me if I had just urinated in the door way of the business.   As we walked along, I politely told him no and that I had addressed my holster that was gouging me.    I was very well dressed.    I asked if he wanted ID, but  he declined and walked on.   He did not care about my gun.   He was watching out for drunks and monitoring businesses.

Both, Newport and Covington, set across the Ohio river from Cincinnati and its athletic venues.    Covington and Newport are separated by the Licking river.   Even Covington has worked to change its image.    Covington, Newport, and Cincinnati all have improved there environments for tourist along the river.   Downtown Covington has become a popular trendy/preppy night life district for young professionals.

Both have a great night life scene.   Some areas of Covington do have rough "public housing" projects.    But, not even Louisville matches the crime and violence of other cities in other states.    I guess we are just too tame in KY.   LOL!

Cincinnati does have its issues.    It has some problems right up to the downtown area.      Over the Rhine (OTR), just north of the downtown business district has been revitalized... to some degree.   Yet, it is still full of drugs, prostitution, and shootings.    There is nothing in Louisville that comes close to it.    Also, Cincinnati has been the site of race riots at one time.    There has always been community strife and distrust in the area.    I would not be the least bit surprise if violence broke out in Cincinnati after the grand jury verdict is released.

Also, Ohio cities and cops are not very gun friendly.     Ohio earned Concealed Carry in the manner similar to Illinois, by court order/decision.       Just let me say I'd take a KY democrat politician over an OH republican any day of the week.      While a democrat passed concealed carry in KY, (in 96 I think), 2 republican governors shot it down in OH.  (I think one did twice.)     It was only when the state Supreme Court ruled that state could not prohibit it did the OH governor beg the state congress to send the bill again in an effort to control the process.    ( I generally vote Republican.  I am registered as a Republican.)

Also, Ohio has some stupid laws.   For example, having more than 30 rounds in a weapon makes it a machinegun.   Stupid?  Extremely.     But, that is Ohio.   Be very careful in Ohio.    What is logical or reasonable does not necessarily float in Ohio.

Also, that football museum city, ? Canton ?,  is known for having multiple issues in which cops violated the rights of those carrying legally.   See the following...

Quoted:
View Quote

Be careful in Downtown Cincinnati during the August  "festival" know as the Black Family Reunion.   It is racist.  (Ever heard of a large US city having a White Family Reunion? No?)  And, it certainly has more than its fair share of issues with drunkenness, drugs, and violence.    Black or White, I would recommend one avoid that "festival".   Most local professional people avoid like the plague.

Enjoy your time and travels.    Try to Maximize your time in Kentucky and limit it Ohio.   Kentucky is one of the most gun friendly states in the nation, easily within the top 3-5.     Arizona does not require license for concealed carry, but you can carry in more places in Kentucky.    Some would say we are in the top 2 states.     Also,  KY  allows automatic knives, machineguns, swords, and all sorts of things other states do not... and we even allow ALL of them for concealed carry.      Largely, we only have two major issues.   1)   We do not allow any carry of weapons in a bar, which is beyond stupid.   If a person can be a designated driver, they should be to be the designated gunner.   That is just common sense.   Just don't go to bars in Kentucky.     2)  We lack a law prohibiting the violation of civil rights by employers regarding self protection and concealed weapons.    While it their business, it is NOT their rules when it comes to basic civil rights.    Unfortunately, too few lack the common sense to grasp basic law and sensibilities.    Kentucky is not perfect, but we are getting there.  

Finally, if you are going near Atlanta, may God be with you in that forsaken place.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They aren't that great in the day, either--at least not the parts I've been through.  Definitely places I'm glad my G19 was handy, rather than my usual snubby  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 80's is when Newport really started cleaning things up.  

The Glock came out in the 80's.

From the  Mid 80's forward, Newport became ever more tame and mainstream.   Covington runs a few years behind it, as it is much larger and will move slower.

Neither place was ever know for more random violence that Cincinnati areas.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't remember any riots in NKY

I do remember riots in Cincy around 2001 right.
View Quote

Those were pretty tame.    Now, there have been some serious race riots in Cincinnati, as several other cities, during the violent  troubles of the 60's and early 70's.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From the  Mid 80's forward, Newport became ever more tame and mainstream.   Covington runs a few years behind it, as it is much larger and will move slower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Reagan.  Seriously.  He came to town and during a speech he talked about Newport and called it "Sin City."  As I recall he went on to talk about it being time to clean up from the old Mob days... It worked.

Big and old historic cities will always have blight, but it is better and far better than "da Nati."
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, Over the Rhine sure as shit ain't in KY. In pretty sure that's the worst area of Cincy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess OTR still sucks.   Have not been there in years.   Never really had any trouble back in the day.

I know I got lost a time or two in sketchy looking parts of the covington / Newport are back in the late 90s/early 2000s.   When I have been there recently though everywhere I saw seamed pretty cleaned up.   I was born just a bit too late to get to enjoy so many cool seedy places .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top