Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 2:49:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel that none of the recent changes were of any significant value.   Everything of significant value, in my opinion,  failed.

Nevertheless, thank you Jeep for improving the value of what did pass.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeep,

When you reference you'r website do you mean this one or another one I can start to follow?  Thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I did this back in May. All I had to do was submit my DD-214 and the M9 qualification card with my application. Got my permit about 4 weeks later.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeep,

I heard that MPs can qualify for a special LEO permit that not oly doesn't have to take the class, but the fee for the permit itself is also waived. Just $5 for the photo.

Do you have any info as to what doccumentation is needed on this? My wife was an MP for about 10 years and still carries it as a secondary MOS. Would be nice if I could get her this LEO permit and maybe even coverd under LEOSA so she will be able to carry in states where I can't
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Dumb question - This seems kind of counter to what the CCDW class is about. The class is about the use of force law and carry law, not so much about shooting. So shouldn't like someone from uhh JAG or a military legal division get the permit without a class rather than someone with a pistol qualification?

I am not knocking the veterans here, just seems like a weird standard from the legislature. I doubt the Army course for the M9 has a lot of material on KRS 822. It seems like it could be a legal trap for a veteran who carries, they have the permit, but don't know the KY law and get in trouble.

I guess its no different than when I carry out of state. That states law is not exactly like Kentucky but they recognize my permit anyway.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dumb question - This seems kind of counter to what the CCDW class is about. The class is about the use of force law and carry law, not so much about shooting. So shouldn't like someone from uhh JAG or a military legal division get the permit without a class rather than someone with a pistol qualification?

I am not knocking the veterans here, just seems like a weird standard from the legislature. I doubt the Army course for the M9 has a lot of material on KRS 822. It seems like it could be a legal trap for a veteran who carries, they have the permit, but don't know the KY law and get in trouble.

I guess its no different than when I carry out of state. That states law is not exactly like Kentucky but they recognize my permit anyway.
View Quote

Agreed. I am both BTW.

ETA: I can see waiving the range portion of the class but I believe that is not what is being referred to here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the guys over here http://accdwky.wildapricot.org/ can answer some of these questions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did this back in May. All I had to do was submit my DD-214 and the M9 qualification card with my application. Got my permit about 4 weeks later.
View Quote

The new law didn't take effect until July 15. This is true of all the non-emergency laws passed by the 2014 General Assembly. Most of the new parts of HB 128 have not even been set up yet. I renewed my license last week and tried to renew online, but was told by KSP  that online originals and renewals weren't ready yet and might not be ready for several more months. I just went to the Sheriff's Office and renewed in person. I asked the clerks at the Sheriff's office and they had never heard of online applications and renewals. I think they might have been worried about not getting their 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I feel that none of the recent changes were of any significant value.   Everything of significant value, in my opinion,  failed.

Nevertheless, thank you Jeep for improving the value of what did pass.
View Quote

You are exactly right, we got table scraps. All of the improvements, and they are improvements, only effect a few people, in a few select groups, and some of those effects are only one time and not permanent. They all sound good, but the results are minimal in reality. The only change that passed that could effect everybody was the "must sign" for NFA weapons. But the residents of most counties didn't have a problem with that anyway, most sheriffs in Ky. would sign before. The real beneficiaries of this are the residents of Fayette and Jefferson Cos., and then only those residents that want to own NFA weapons. Not a great number of people. Its good that they got this, but still not a lot of people. The only two bills that would effect everybody were SB 60, commonly called the "guns in bars bill"(but really much more than that) and HB 127, the "airport bill". Neither of these bills could get a hearing in the House, although SB 60 passed the Senate without any trouble.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top