Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 12:19:52 PM EDT
Hi guys,

My wife and I are visiting my brother and his wife, stationed down at Ft Knox this weekend.
I love Kentucky, but am more familiar with the Ft Campbell area, when I was stationed there. I've been through Louisville many times, but really never stopped. Pretty sad, now that I've had a few years to look back on it, and have developed a fondness of good bourbon. BUT, no time like the present!

I'm planning to try Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yr while I'm in the area, and see what all the hype's about.

Google shows me two Whiskey Bars in Lousiville that carry it by the drink; The Haymarket, and the Silver Dollar. Any thoughts on either one? I'm leaning toward the Haymarket, simply because the gentleman who responded to my email inquiry about Pappy's, was incredibly polite and helpful. Seems about $50 per pour is the standard.

Any distilleries that are open on Saturday for a tour or sampling?

What are the open carry laws? I have a Michigan concealed license, and typically DO conceal, but I prefer an OWB holster, and don't want to worry about pissing people off, or ending up in jail, if it happens to peek out while I'm out and about. If I have to carry IWB, so be it. I remember that even as a non resident, with no carry license, a loaded handgun in the glovebox was perfectly acceptable.

I'm a dirty, filthy smoker, and am given to understand that while there is no statwide smoking ban in bars, restaraunts, etc, that there are bans in Louisville. Or at least, that's what the gentleman from the Haymarket relayed in his email. Any truth to all of this?

What's good to do around Elizabethtown? Obviously, my brother will be quite familiar with the area, but as he's on duty at the moment, it's somewhat difficult to ask him. He also doesn't drink or smoke, so asking in reference to bourbon would be slightly less than productive.

Any good gun shops I should check out? Possibly buy my brother some ammo, or a gift, prior to him getting PTS'd to Honolulu, HI (lucky bastard)
Any ranges open to the public?

Any particular liquor stores I should check out, to pick up a nice bottle or two of bourbon that I can't find or get here in Michigan? Party Mart, Liquor Barn, and Old Town seem decent, from what I can gather. Obviously, NONE will have ANYTHING from Pappy's available.But that's just life.

Good food, or a good steakhouse, that we ought to hit?

If you can think of anything else fun for the 4 of us to do, by all means, we're open to suggestion. If there's some shindig of some sort going on, I'm sure we'd be interested.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA: Looks like I might need to visit again, the weekend of the 11th, for the MG shoot
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi guys,

My wife and I are visiting my brother and his wife, stationed down at Ft Knox this weekend.
I love Kentucky, but am more familiar with the Ft Campbell area, when I was stationed there. I've been through Louisville many times, but really never stopped. Pretty sad, now that I've had a few years to look back on it, and have developed a fondness of good bourbon. BUT, no time like the present!

I'm planning to try Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yr while I'm in the area, and see what all the hype's about.

Google shows me two Whiskey Bars in Lousiville that carry it by the drink; The Haymarket, and the Silver Dollar. Any thoughts on either one? I'm leaning toward the Haymarket, simply because the gentleman who responded to my email inquiry about Pappy's, was incredibly polite and helpful. Seems about $50 per pour is the standard.

Any distilleries that are open on Saturday for a tour or sampling?

What are the open carry laws? I have a Michigan concealed license, and typically DO conceal, but I prefer an OWB holster, and don't want to worry about pissing people off, or ending up in jail, if it happens to peek out while I'm out and about. If I have to carry IWB, so be it. I remember that even as a non resident, with no carry license, a loaded handgun in the glovebox was perfectly acceptable.

I'm a dirty, filthy smoker, and am given to understand that while there is no statwide smoking ban in bars, restaraunts, etc, that there are bans in Louisville. Or at least, that's what the gentleman from the Haymarket relayed in his email. Any truth to all of this?

What's good to do around Elizabethtown? Obviously, my brother will be quite familiar with the area, but as he's on duty at the moment, it's somewhat difficult to ask him. He also doesn't drink or smoke, so asking in reference to bourbon would be slightly less than productive.

Any good gun shops I should check out? Possibly buy my brother some ammo, or a gift, prior to him getting PTS'd to Honolulu, HI (lucky bastard)
Any ranges open to the public?

Any particular liquor stores I should check out, to pick up a nice bottle or two of bourbon that I can't find or get here in Michigan? Party Mart, Liquor Barn, and Old Town seem decent, from what I can gather. Obviously, NONE will have ANYTHING from Pappy's available.But that's just life.

Good food, or a good steakhouse, that we ought to hit?

If you can think of anything else fun for the 4 of us to do, by all means, we're open to suggestion. If there's some shindig of some sort going on, I'm sure we'd be interested.
View Quote

Well Louisville does have a smoking ban, I'm not 100% sure on the other counties, you're close to Knob Creek Gun Range. It's pretty affordable and you can shoot all day.

As for Bourbon, Knob Creek would be my choice for that. Great stuff, goes down smooth, but I believe you can find that anywhere. I would say if you can get your hands on something solid, get Jack Daniel's single barrel. Not a bourbon but it's phenomenal. Way better then #7 and gentlemans.

If you're in Louisville and you want some high dollar, but very good steak restaurant, I would recommend Morton's on main street. They bring the cut out to you.

Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with Louisville and some of the outskirt towns around it.  Only been to Etown to get my HVAC journeyman test.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm late to your question, but if you come in next weekend for the shoot, here are a couple places to get Pappy by the pour.........or so my supervisor at work told me. His son-in-laws family owns the PVW brand.
......Doc Crows........downtown near 4th st live
.....Bourbon Bistro.......Bardstown road
....Stoney River.......Brownsboro Rd and Hurstborne
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
We ended up touring the Beam distillery, and I snagged a few bottles that they didn't sell anywhere else. Also got to seal and label my own bottle of Single Barrel, which I thought was pretty cool.

Stopped in at the Haymarket, $50, got to try the 20 year Pappy's. DELICIOUS. Just not sure if $50 per drink delicious, LOL!

Sadly, I was unable to attend the Knob Creek shoot :( And my brother will be PCSing before the October shoot, so I'll have to find a hotel if I come down for it.

I still plan on touring Buffalo Trace, and Maker's Mark this summer, prior to my brother moving.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top