Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
SB 125 is on the Orders of the Day tomorrow for the Senate.  It is the bill that would allow honorably discharged service members to waive the training requirement for a concealed deadly weapon license.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The bill passed 35-0 with 3 people not voting.

Not voting:
Denton
Kerr
McGarvey

View Quote

Is not voting in any way significant? Didn't want to vote for it but voting against it would cause trouble?
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is not voting in any way significant? Didn't want to vote for it but voting against it would cause trouble?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bill passed 35-0 with 3 people not voting.

Not voting:

Denton

Kerr

McGarvey

In most cases it isn't significant.  If there is going to be a close vote it would be.  Otherwise it just provides additional information on the legislators.  The big question is why didn't they vote?  Were they doing other things and neglecting their duties?  Do they not want a recorded vote on the issue?  Are they like the Marzian where they champion their NRA F rating but like what the bill does and submitted an amendment to bill; so they just don't vote?  In Marzian's case her amendment got throw out with 3 others and she then did vote against the bill.  Had her amendment been in the bill I could see her doing a no vote.

For example Senator Denton has not voted on the last 2 Senate gun bills.  If he was my Senator I would want to know why.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
SB 100 the bill that creates an electronic CCDW application with a $70 fee and a 15 day issue requirement was passed by the Senate.  The vote was 37-0.  Senator Kerr did not vote.

SB 125 the bill that would allow honorably discharged service members to waive the training requirement for CCDW was passed by the Senate.  The vote was 38-0 with all Senators voting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
A new bill has been introduced in the Senate.  It deals with NFA firearms and the chief law enforcement officer signature.

SB 232 - B. Smith

It states that as relating to the NFA paperwork to make or transfer a firearm the chief law enforcement officer must sign the certification within 15 days as long as the person is not prohibited from owning a firearm.  It goes on to say if he does not sign he has to issue a written notice as to why he did not sign.  Then that can be appealed to the Circuit Court where the judges are instructed to order the chief law enforcement officer to sign as long as the person isn't prohibitted or the chief makes a compelling case as to why that person should not be allowed to own the firearm.

I know there are a lot of you guys living in counties where you cannot get the chief of police to sign off on the NFA paperwork.  We all live in counties where we are just one election away from losing our ability get the paperwork signed.  Everyone should be excited about this bill and I strongly encourage all of you to contact your legislators in order to make all of Kentucky a shall-sign NFA state.  This bill is exactly what I was talking about when I said now is the time to act and move forward and not wait until it is an uphill battle to get motivated to do something.

Here is the email listing for all the legislators.  http://www.lrc.ky.gov/whoswho/email.htm

If you aren't sure who your legislators are you can find them through this page http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legislators.htm

You can also find and write them using your address on the NRA site.  http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-lawmakers.aspx

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
SB100 looks neat.  I looked through the bill text but didn't see any sort of deadline for when such a system would need to be in place.  How would that work?  ASAP once the thing is passed?  Whenever the Commonwealth IT guys get around to it?  ACA web guru's in charge?

15 days is pretty boss.  Doesn't that even beat VA's "if we don't answer you in XX days, your app is your de facto permit"?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

SB100 looks neat.  I looked through the bill text but didn't see any sort of deadline for when such a system would need to be in place.  How would that work?  ASAP once the thing is passed?  Whenever the Commonwealth IT guys get around to it?  ACA web guru's in charge?

15 days is pretty boss.  Doesn't that even beat VA's "if we don't answer you in XX days, your app is your de facto permit"?
View Quote

My understanding is "when the State Police get around to it".  It is tied to the electronic background check system that the State Police want funding for.  They mentioned the same system in bills SB106/HB351 and said if they received adequate funding they could implement the electronic checks and background checks could be processed in 1 to 3 days.

The electronic application shouldn't take that long to program but I'm not sure which agency will be putting that together for them.  The state constitution specifies that new laws take effect 90 days after the adjournment of the legislature.  With SB106/HB351 being a higher profile law it will be pushing the state police to get the system implemented ASAP. That law gives the state police 1 day or as soon as possible to issue the temporary permit.  The electronic system would make things a lot easier for the State Police so I don't see any reason they wouldn't want to implement it ASAP.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The electronic application shouldn't take that long to program but I'm not sure which agency will be putting that together for them.  The state constitution specifies that new laws take effect 90 days after the adjournment of the legislature.  With SB106/HB351 being a higher profile law it will be pushing the state police to get the system implemented ASAP. That law gives the state police 1 day or as soon as possible to issue the temporary permit.  The electronic system would make things a lot easier for the State Police so I don't see any reason they wouldn't want to implement it ASAP.
View Quote

Speaking as a professional software engineer, what is the legal definition of "electronic"?

I've worked on systems where "electronic" meant you got online filled out a form on a website and all of the discrete data was transmitted to the recipeint in a machine readable format for automated processing with limited human oversight. I have also worked on systems where "electronic" meant you could fill in a PDF and email it to someone, and don't get me started on "electronic" systems which just use a computer generated fax transmission.

Does the Commonwealth already have and use a state-wide electronic form and submission process? In other words are you building a new system or just telling an existing system "heres a new state form, here are the fields, here is where you store it, this is who can access it".

Most government forms MUST have a paper based backup for either folks who can't or won't use electronic forms and as a backup if the IT process fails.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Those are good questions and none of that is defined anywhere in the bills.  The current State Police site

There isn't one application development department across the state, despite what the people at the Commonwealth Office of Technology wish.  Kentucky Interactive also does some work for state agencies.  The agency that I'm contracted out to is doing their own thing as well, even though COT is trying to pull it back in house.

Their current site is hosted on COT servers but anyone can be doing the programming for it.

As a professional software engineer myself I would assume they will implement an online form that collects your personal information, allows you to upload a picture, and takes credit cards for payment.  To meet the 15 day deadline they would need to have an online system that captures information and automatically kicks off the background check.

The State Police are the ones put in charge of making it happen.  So it will come down to however they want to do it.  From the design of their current site that has me concerned but I'm hopeful that the funding they talked about is to revamp all their systems.

The paper application will still exist and will still be the $65 fee instead of $70.  The paper application still has the 60 day issuing requirement.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
SWIRE - just want to say thank you for keeping us all informed.  I may not respond to your posts here but I certainly make my calls.  This information also helps me bust balls when needed.

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Several bills being discussed tomorrow, Wednesday 3/12, in the House Judiciary committee.

HB 99

concealed carry licenses for retired peace officers issued in conformity with the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act to allow the annual license to be extended in yearly increments up to four times before a new license is issued; amend KRS 527.020 to allow LEOSA-certified retired peace officers to carry concealed deadly weapons under the same conditions as actively employed officers.

HB 128

to permit a retired peace officer who has a concealed deadly weapon license issued pursuant to the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act and KRS 237.138 to 237.142 to carry a concealed deadly weapon at all times at any location within the state except for a detention facility.

HB 213

to allow corrections officers, current or retired, of urban-county governments or consolidated local governments to use their professional training to satisfy the training requirement in applying for a concealed-carry permi

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

THIS is significant. Too many CLEOs refuse to sign "just because". I'm pulling for this one especially since this is the only good gun law that Tennessee has that we don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A new bill has been introduced in the Senate.  It deals with NFA firearms and the chief law enforcement officer signature.

SB 232 - B. Smith
It states that as relating to the NFA paperwork to make or transfer a firearm the chief law enforcement officer must sign the certification within 15 days as long as the person is not prohibited from owning a firearm.  It goes on to say if he does not sign he has to issue a written notice as to why he did not sign.  Then that can be appealed to the Circuit Court where the judges are instructed to order the chief law enforcement officer to sign as long as the person isn't prohibitted or the chief makes a compelling case as to why that person should not be allowed to own the firearm.

I know there are a lot of you guys living in counties where you cannot get the chief of police to sign off on the NFA paperwork.  We all live in counties where we are just one election away from losing our ability get the paperwork signed.  Everyone should be excited about this bill and I strongly encourage all of you to contact your legislators in order to make all of Kentucky a shall-sign NFA state.  This bill is exactly what I was talking about when I said now is the time to act and move forward and not wait until it is an uphill battle to get motivated to do something.

Here is the email listing for all the legislators.  http://www.lrc.ky.gov/whoswho/email.htm
If you aren't sure who your legislators are you can find them through this page http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Legislators.htm
You can also find and write them using your address on the NRA site.  http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-lawmakers.aspx

THIS is significant. Too many CLEOs refuse to sign "just because". I'm pulling for this one especially since this is the only good gun law that Tennessee has that we don't.

I just got the email from the NRA-ILA saying that this bill goes in front of a committee tomorrow. I agree that this is a VERY SIGNIFICANT bill. Luckily I live in a county where the sheriff will sign off on this stuff, but like Jeep says here, there's too many of them out there that won't sign off on them for really no reason at all. Time to start calling and supporting this bill. The following is a list of senators on the committee. I don't have email or telephone information for them but a quick google search should yield that information. I'd do that leg work for y'all but I'm getting ready to walk out the door for work. If I get a chance later tonight when I get home to look that info up, I'll update this post.

Senator Jimmy Higdon (R-14), Chairman

Senator Whitney Westerfield (R-3), Vice Chairman

Senator Perry B. Clark (D-37)

Senator Carroll Gibson (R-5)

Senator Ernie Harris (R-26)

Senator Christian McDaniel (R-23)

Senator Dennis Parrett (D-10)

Senator Jerry P. Rhoads (D-6)

Senator Albert Robinson (R-21)

Senator Reginald Thomas (D-13)

Senator Mike Wilson (R-32)
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the update on SB 232.  I haven't seen the info from NRA-ILA yet.  The bill is under the Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection committee.

Sen. Jimmy Higdon [Committee Chair]

Phone Number(s)

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 623

Home: (270) 692-6945

Email Address(es)

Annex: [email protected]

Sen. Whitney Westerfield [Vice Chair]

Phone Number(s)

Work: (270) 885-7671

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 622

Sen. Perry B. Clark

Phone Number(s)

Home: (502) 366-1247

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 715

Sen. Carroll Gibson

Phone Number(s)

Home: (270) 230-5866

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 644

Sen. Ernie Harris

Phone Number(s)

Home: (502) 241-8307

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 605

Sen. Christian McDaniel

Phone Number(s)

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 615

Sen. Dennis Parrett

Phone Number(s)

Home: (270) 765-4565

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 645

Sen. Jerry P. Rhoads  [Minority Whip]

Phone Number(s)

Home: (270) 825-2949

Annex: (502) 564-2470

Capitol: (502) 564-2470

Sen. Albert Robinson

Phone Number(s)

Home: (606) 878-6877

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 604

Sen. Reginald Thomas

Phone Number(s)

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 608

Annex: (502) 564-0777 (fax)

Sen. Mike Wilson

Phone Number(s)

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 717

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Several bills being discussed tomorrow, Wednesday 3/12, in the House Judiciary committee.

View Quote

HB 99

concealed carry licenses for retired peace officers issued in conformity with the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act to allow the annual license to be extended in yearly increments up to four times before a new license is issued; amend KRS 527.020 to allow LEOSA-certified retired peace officers to carry concealed deadly weapons under the same conditions as actively employed officers.

HB 128

to permit a retired peace officer who has a concealed deadly weapon license issued pursuant to the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act and KRS 237.138 to 237.142 to carry a concealed deadly weapon at all times at any location within the state except for a detention facility.

HB 213

to allow corrections officers, current or retired, of urban-county governments or consolidated local governments to use their professional training to satisfy the training requirement in applying for a concealed-carry permi

Update on these bills.

HB 99 passed out of committee with a committee substitute.  The description of the substitute doesn't really match the section of law mentioned, so I'm not sure what it did.

HB 128 passed out of committee with no changes.

HB 213 passed out of committee with no changes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
SB 232 will be heard by the committee tomorrow, Thursday, at 9am.  If you haven't used the above contact information to contact them please do so.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
SB 232 the NFA "Shall-Certify" passed out of the Senate committee yesterday with no changes.  There was was about 10 minute of discussion including the vote and no real opposition.

Senator Smith the sponsor of the bill was not at the committee meeting.  In his place was Daniel Kerry from NRA answering questions.  He did a good job answering everything.  The Senators

If you want to watch the discussion you can do so here.  It starts around the 6:45 minute mark.

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The NRA guy didn't appear to actually know the Form 4/Form1 process but he did get it mostly right. He was also pretty careful not to use scary words like machine gun, silencer, sawed off shotgun, etc.

I'm happy its moving forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SB 232 the NFA "Shall-Certify" passed out of the Senate committee yesterday with no changes.  There was was about 10 minute of discussion including the vote and no real opposition.

Senator Smith the sponsor of the bill was not at the committee meeting.  In his place was Daniel Kerry from NRA answering questions.  He did a good job answering everything.  The Senators

If you want to watch the discussion you can do so here.  It starts around the 6:45 minute mark.
http://www.ket.org/legislature/archives/?nola=WGAOS+015185&session=wgaos+015

The NRA guy didn't appear to actually know the Form 4/Form1 process but he did get it mostly right. He was also pretty careful not to use scary words like machine gun, silencer, sawed off shotgun, etc.

I'm happy its moving forward.

Just watched the video.  I noticed that too.  The NRA guy mostly knew what he was talking about and you could tell most of the committee members asking questions were completely clueless.  Especially the last older guy.  He got all excited when he thought it was going to "override the County sheriff!".  

So what happens next?  How many hurdles does this need to clear to pass?  Who do we need to contact?  Is there going to be a hearing on it in Frankfort that we can attend and speak?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So what happens next?  How many hurdles does this need to clear to pass?  Who do we need to contact?  Is there going to be a hearing on it in Frankfort that we can attend and speak?
View Quote

Contact your state senator and tell him to support bill SB 232.

Next it will be read on the Senate floor and people will have the change to offer amendments.  I don't see that being a big deal in the Senate.  Then a 3rd reading and a vote in the Senate.  Giving no resistance in committee it should pass the Senate easily.  Then it would have to be sent to the House.  That is where the anti-gun people will try to stop it if they even care about it.  I don't see the Louisville anti-gun liberals passing up the chance to scream about people with machine guns going on rampages and mowing down an entire mall.  It should pass with little resistance in the House but that would really depend on how loudly the anti-gun chiefs and sheriffs complain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The House Orders of the Day today are 2 item.  These items can be discussed and voted on today but there is no requirement that it has to be done today.

HCR 11  A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION encouraging recognition of trapshooting as a high school sport. (Rep. Wilson Stone)

HB 213 - The bill that would exempt corrections officers with firearm training from the training requirement for a CCDW.

A floor amendment was introduced that would allow someone who moves to Kentucky and has an out of state CCW permit to use that permit for 120 days.  It also gives them 60 days to submit documentation of the valid out of state permit which would them exempt them from the Kentucky training requirement.

The floor amendment was submitted by Senator Lee who also wrote a separate bill, HB 465, with the exact same language.  It looks like they are merging the content of HB 465 into this bill.  This is a very good bill now so please contact your state Representative and ask them to support HB 213.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The House Orders of the Day today are 2 item.  These items can be discussed and voted on today but there is no requirement that it has to be done today.

HCR 11  A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION encouraging recognition of trapshooting as a high school sport. (Rep. Wilson Stone)

HB 213 - The bill that would exempt corrections officers with firearm training from the training requirement for a CCDW.
A floor amendment was introduced that would allow someone who moves to Kentucky and has an out of state CCW permit to use that permit for 120 days.  It also gives them 60 days to submit documentation of the valid out of state permit which would them exempt them from the Kentucky training requirement.

The floor amendment was submitted by Senator Lee who also wrote a separate bill, HB 465, with the exact same language.  It looks like they are merging the content of HB 465 into this bill.  This is a very good bill now so please contact your state Representative and ask them to support HB 213.

View Quote

It was a very good bill when it was submitted, now it's even better. One of our guys wrote it and got someone to sponsor it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Contact your state senator and tell him to support bill SB 232.

Next it will be read on the Senate floor and people will have the change to offer amendments.  I don't see that being a big deal in the Senate.  Then a 3rd reading and a vote in the Senate.  Giving no resistance in committee it should pass the Senate easily.  Then it would have to be sent to the House.  That is where the anti-gun people will try to stop it if they even care about it.  I don't see the Louisville anti-gun liberals passing up the chance to scream about people with machine guns going on rampages and mowing down an entire mall.  It should pass with little resistance in the House but that would really depend on how loudly the anti-gun chiefs and sheriffs complain.

This bill got the fast track and is on the Orders of the Day for Senate tomorrow, Wednesday.  This is the "Shall-Certify" NFA bill.  If you haven't contacted your state Senator and asked him to support this bill, SB 232, now is the time.

The House Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Safety committee will meet to discuss SB 100 tomorrow as well.  It is the electronic CCDW application bill.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#25]
SB 232 Passed in the Senate.  Smith talked about his bill for a minute.  A Senator for Pike county spoke in favor of it.  There was no opposition.

Yea  37,  Nay 0, Not Voting 1

Not Voting

Kerr

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Update on HB 179.  It passed the House in January with a vote of 97-1 and was sent to the Senate.  The Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection committee will discuss the bill tomorrow (Thursday).  Given only 1 Nay vote in the House it should pass the Senate very easily.

The one Nay vote was Rep Jim Wayne.  

It's been awhile so I'm copying the bill info below.

to permit local law enforcement agencies to sell a government-issued firearm to the law enforcement officer to whom the firearm was issued upon that officer's retirement

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It was a very good bill when it was submitted, now it's even better. One of our guys wrote it and got someone to sponsor it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll be happy to know that HB 213 passed the House with a vote of 95-2 and the vote included the floor amendment.  Voting Nay was Marzian and Wayne which comes as no surprise.  Not voting were Hall, Riner, and Tilley.

The floor amendment passed 94-4.  The Nay votes were Burch, Marzian, Owens, and Wayne.  Not voting were Hall and Riner.  I'm not sure why Tilley missed the vote on the whole bill when he was present for the amendment vote.  The two votes were taken less than a minute apart.  If anyone is in his district you might want to shoot him an email and ask him why he didn't vote.  Maybe something came up and he had to go.  Contacting him would be a good reminder that gun owners are watching what he does.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Just got this via League of KY Sportsmen:

Dear fellow outdoor enthusiast:
I'm sending this email out BCC to implore you to take IMMEDIATE ACTION (as in first thing Monday) regarding the reappointment of Dr James Angel to the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Commission.  Please call Senator Jared Carpenter AS SOON AS YOU READ THIS on Monday morning and ask him to not allow Senate Resolution 273 out of committee.  SR 273 is a resolution to reappoint Dr Angel to the KDFWR Commission and this needs to be DEFEATED.
Senator Carpenter can be reached at:
Senate Office# 800-372-7181 ext 730 or  502-564-8100 ext 730
Home: 859-623-7199
[email protected]

If you are an NRA member, please identify yourself as an NRA member as this carries a lot of weight with elected officials.  If you are a member of any other organized sporting group, please tell Sen. Carpenter and advise him the sportsmen and women of Kentucky will be watching how the vote goes.  Please forward this email to all your fellow outdoor enthusiasts!

I have included text regarding the corrupt and illegal activities of Dr Angel below:

Dr. Angel willingly participated in the corrupt practices at Ballard County WMA
If you need proof of corruption at the top levels of KDFWR, look no further than the recent OIG Report regarding what took place at Ballard County WMA.
Section 301 KAR 2:222 requires EVERY hunter to “apply” for hunts at Ballard County WMA. Doctor Angel and other commissioners deliberately and intentionally disregarded KDFWR’s own regulations and hunted there. They apparently believe they are more special and important than you, me, and every other hunter in this state, and they weren’t required to follow their own rules.
When Dr. Angel and the other commissioners hunted at Ballard County WMA, they not only broke the regs by skirting the public draw, they received preferable blind treatment and were assigned the best blinds. Even worse, these elitists at KDFWR actually KNEW what they were doing was illegal, because they showed up for the public draws with full knowledge that they would not hunt in the blind they were drawn. In the sworn words of the KDFWR’s waterfowl biologist at Ballard County WMA, Robert Colvis, it was “all for show.”
Colvis also averred that Dr. Angel contacted him via phone repeatedly and asked him to shut off a productive area of Ballard County WMA from the public in order for Dr. Angel and his cronies to hunt there. The phone records support Mr. Colvis’s sworn statements. Incredibly, Dr. Angel claims that his seven (7) phone calls with Mr. Colvis were simply to explore the weather and the hunting conditions at Ballard County WMA.
These facts are all contained in the OIG Report.
Dr. Angel’s Reappointment Violates the Letter and Spirit of SB 64
The Kentucky legislator unanimously voted SB 64 into law. Key features of this bill included Senate confirmation of appointments to the commission seats and term limits to insure turnover at KDFWR. These provisions of SB 64 were codified at KRS 150.022(2) which reads: “The Governor shall appoint the commission subject to confirmation by the Senate. Each of the members shall be appointed for a term of four (4) years and may be reappointed only once.”
Dr. Angel is now seeking a 4th term. Despite having rejected prior nominations from other applicants on the basis that it would violate the stated term limitations, Governor Beshear ignored this for Dr. Angel and is disappointingly trying to have him reappointed. The ostensible basis for avoiding the clear intent of this language is that it cannot be retroactively applied.
Regardless of whether this reappointment violates the letter of the term limit language, it clearly violates the spirit of the law.
See a pattern here? Dr. Angel seeks to skirt this law because he is entitled. Dr. Angel gets to displace the public hunter at Ballard County WMA, because KDFWR is his department and he is entitled.
The sportsmen & women deserve better.

Dear Senator Jared Carpenter:
As a sportsman citizen of the Commonwealth, I write to you to vote NO and reject the nomination of Dr. James Angel to serve as 4th District Commissioner to the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources (“KDFWR”).
As is plainly evident by the recent OIGSS Report regarding KDFWR, Dr. Angel has abused his position of authority and violated KDFWR’s own regulations by participating in illegal hunts at Ballard County WMA.
Moreover, Dr. Angel’s nomination to a 4th term violates the spirit, if not the very letter, of legislation (SB 64) passed unanimously by both chambers, which states that KDFWR district commissioners could only be reappointed once. Dr. Angel’s putative reappointment to a 4th term plainly contravenes the intent of this law, which was to insure turnover at the commission level to avoid the exact abuses which were reflected in the OIG Report.
Senator, there are over 400,000 sportsmen in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and many will be watching this vote closely and will punish any public official at the ballot box who votes against our wishes.

Vote NO to James Angel!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#29]
It sound like Dr. James Angel is someone who should not be representing the people of Kentucky on the Fish and Wildlife Commission.  Someone that doesn't follow the law, acts above the law, and the reappointment of them would be an additional violation of the law is not someone who should be in a leadership position.  Surely someone better than that can be found.

If you have an interest in stopping the appointment I would recommend contacting everyone listed below and ask them not to support SR 273 the reappointment of Dr James Angel to a 4th term on the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

SR 273 was sent to the Natural Resources and Energy committee.  Here is the complete membership list and contact info

Sen. Jared Carpenter [ Chair]

Phone Number(s)

Home: (859) 623-7199

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 730

Sen. Brandon Smith [Vice Chair]

Phone Number(s)

Home: (606) 436-4526

Annex: (502) 564-2450

Capitol: (502) 564-2450

Sen. Joe Bowen

Phone Number(s)

Home: (270) 685-1859

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 662

Sen. Chris Girdler

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 656

Sen. Ray S. Jones II

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 681

Sen. Bob Leeper

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 712

Sen. Jerry P. Rhoads

Annex: (502) 564-2470

Sen. John Schickel

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 617

Sen. Johnny Ray Turner

Annex: (502) 564-6136

Sen. Robin L. Webb

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 676

Sen. Whitney Westerfield

Annex: (502) 564-8100 Ext. 622

In addition to the committee membership the resolution is being sponsored by

Damon Thayer

Brandon Smith

Annex: (502) 564-2450

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#30]
The League of KY Sportsmen included a sample letter you can send.  It is best to use it as an example to base your message off of instead of a direct copy and paste.  If anyone wants an additional example here is what I sent to Senator Carpenter and will send to the rest of the people on the list.

Dear Senator Jared Carpenter:

As a sportsman and NRA member of the Commonwealth, I write
to you to vote NO and reject the nomination of Dr. James Angel to serve as 4th
District Commissioner to the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife
Resources.

It has been brought to my attention that the Office of
Inspector General has investigated Dr. Angel and found that he abused his
position of authority and leadership as Commissioner to the Kentucky Department
of Fish and Wildlife.  That is in
addition to his violations of KDFWR’s own regulations regarding WMA hunts.

Furthermore, if Dr. Angel’s was reappointed it would be for
his 4th term.  As someone who actively
follows legislation relating to firearms, hunting, and fishing I am aware that in
2013 bill SB 64 was passed to set the maximum reappointment of a commissioner
to one.  That bill was created to prevent
corruption, prevent abuse, and to keep fresh faces on the commission.  The reappointment of James Angel be a direct
contradiction to that law.

What type of message are you sending to the Commonwealth and
the other Commissioners if you allow the reappointment, in violation at least
in spirit of the law, of someone who has abused their position?  It would seem that all the other
commissioners would quickly realize the law no longer applies to them and they
can abuse their positions as well with no major consequences.  The Commonwealth of Kentucky deserves better
than this.  Surely there is someone
better who can be appointed to that position.

Vote NO on the 4th reappointment of James Angel.

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#31]
On today's Orders of the Day

The House has SB 100 - This is for final passage of the electronic CCDW application.

The Senate has HB 179 - This is for final passage to allow retired LEOs to purchase their service weapon.  It is scheduled under consent orders, so it is guaranteed to pass.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#32]
SR 273 will be heard tomorrow, Wednesday, by the Senate Natural Resources & Energy committee.  This is the resolution mentioned by RotaryJihad where the League of Kentucky Sportsman is trying to block the reappointment of a Fish and Wildlife Commission who has been found to have abused his position of authority for his own personal gain.

If you have any feelings on this issue you need to contact the Senators on the committee before 11 am Wednesday morning.  Their contact info is a couple of posts above.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#33]
In addition to SR 273 being heard in the Senate tomorrow.  The Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection committee will discuss bills HB 99 and HB 128.  Both bills are related to retired LEOs carrying.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Monday March 31 is the last day to pass legislation.  There are still 2 weeks of the legislative session left after that to override any vetoes but no additional legislation can be passed.

Here is a list of the legislation that saw movement this year.  The Senate changed things up last week and instead of passing each individual bill that was remaining they modified a House bill and made it one huge bill that included the all the other bills.  I'll post the details of that in my next post.

This is how things stood last week before the change up.

HB 351 - Temporary CCDW permits for EPO filers

Passed House 79-13. Nay votes Adams, Burch, L. Clark, Donohue, Flood, Graham, Jenkins, Marzian, Meeks, Owens, Smart, St. Onge, Wayne.

In Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection Committee

HB 213 - Allow corrections officers and people with a carry permit moving to Kentucky to be exempt from the CCDW training requirement.

Passed in the House 95-2.  Nay votes Marzian and Wayne.

In Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection Committee

HB 99 - Allows LEOSA-certified retired peace officers to carry under the same conditions as actively employed officers

Passed in the House 94-2.  Nay votes Marzian and Wayne.

Sent to Senate but not assigned to a committee.

SB 100 - Electronic CCDW application and renewal

Passed in the Senate 37-0

In the House waiting for final vote.

SB 125 - Allow honorably discharged service members to waive the CCDW training requirement

Passed in the Senate 38-0

Sent to House Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Safety committee

Had first reading

Sent back to House Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Safety committee

SB 106 - Senate Version of HB 351 that creates a temporary CCDW for EPO filers

Passed in the Senate 35-0

Sent to House Judiciary committee

Had first reading

Sent back to House Judiciary committee

SB 60 - Changes to CCDW training, allows carrying in entire restaurant, prohibts carrying in the bar room of a bar if consuming alcohol.

Passed in the Senate 30-4.  Nay votes Angel, McGarvey, Rhoads, Thomas.

Sent to House Judiciary committee

HB 128 - Allows LEOSA-certified retired peace officers to carry anywhere except detention facilities.

Passed in the House 88-2.  Nay votes Marzian and Wayne.

Sent to Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection committee

Had first reading

Sent back to Senate Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection committee

HB 179 - Allows retired LEOs to purchase their duty weapon.

Passed in the House 97-1.  Nay vote Wayne.

Passed in the Senate 38-0

SB 232 - NFA Shall-Certify law

Passed in the Senate 37-0

Sent to House Judicary committee

SR 273 - Reappointment of Fish and Wildlife Commission who abused his position of authority.

Did not getting passed out of committee

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#35]
The NRA sent out an email describing what happened last week.

The bill HB 128 which would allow LEOSA-certified retired peace officers to carry anywhere except detention facilities passed the House, was sent to the Senate, had its first reading, and was sent back to the committee.  The Senate committee then changed the bill and created a committee substitute.  

In the bill they kept the original text but then added the text for:

SB 100

SB 125

SB 192

SB 232

HB 213

HB 351

SB 106

The only bill not addressed in this was SB 60, the bill that would change where you carry in a bar.  The Senate passed it but the House never moved on it.

The new HB 128 bill passed in the Senate 37-1 with Neal being the only Nay vote.  This huge bill now has to go back to the House for a final vote.  With Monday the 31st being the last day to vote on bills like this, it will be the last day for the bill to pass.  The House convenes at 2pm.  Even if you contacted them before when this bill was passed please contact them again since the text of the bill is different.

From the NRA:

Please call 1-800-372-7181 or e-mail your state Representative TODAY and politely ask that he or she vote to concur on House Bill 128 as amended by the state Senate.  Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#36]
The House made their concurrence vote on Senate modified version of bill HB 128 with all the other bills added into it.  The bill passed 92 to 6 with 2 people not voting.

Nay votes:

Burch

Flood

Jenkins

Marzian

Owens

Wayne

Not voting:

Crenshaw

D. Watkins

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone here live in Owens or Marzians districts? Interested in running against them? Msg me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Just called and e-mailed Governors office in strong support of HB 128. Maybe get some of their attention on it early on. Here was the message:

Governor Beshear, I am contacting you today to strongly encourage your support and eventual signing of HB 128 into law. This bill primarily does two things which greatly benefit the Bluegrass State. One, it alleviates much confusion in that it allows retired law enforcement officers who already have a valid CCDW permit to carry a firearm across the state, with the exception of our penitentiaries. Two, it establishes the conditions under which a chief law enforcement officer must sign off on transfers of National Firearms Act items. This second provision will help to greatly curtail the ongoing abuse of power by various anti-gun individuals who are in a position to deny transfers to totally law abiding citizens based only on their personal prejudices and with no legal grounds whatsoever. I urge you to support this bill. Let Kentucky be a strong bastion of gun rights in our nation, which is increasingly awash with biased, nonsensical and ineffective legislation made law. Support of this bill and others like it will serve as a means to draw industry giants seeking a new home to our state, bringing much needed jobs and revenue with them. As a citizen, a soldier and a small business owner; I vehemently encourage your support in this matter. Thank you.

Contact the Governors office here:
http://governor.ky.gov/Pages/contact.aspx
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#39]
NRA-ILA mailer shows quite a bit of stuff as having passed.

Last Friday, Governor Steve Beshear (D) signed into law a comprehensive pro-gun bill, House Bill 128.

As initially introduced by state Representative Robert Damron (D-39), HB 128 allows retired peace officers with a valid Concealed Deadly Weapons License (CDWL), in accordance with the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), to carry at all times in Kentucky, with an exception for detention facilities.

HB 128 also contains amendments added in the state Senate, which incorporated the following pro-gun reform bills from this session:

Senate Bill 100, sponsored by state Senator Sara Beth Gregory (R-16), streamlines the Concealed Deadly Weapons License (CDWL) process by allowing applicants to submit their forms electronically.  This applies to both new and renewing applicants.  Allowing applicants to submit license information electronically provides them with greater access to the CDWL process.
Senate Bill 125, sponsored by state Senator Dennis Parrett (D-10), allows honorably discharged service members to waive the training requirement for a concealed deadly weapon license with the proper documentation.
Senate Bill 192, sponsored by state Senator R.J. Palmer (D-28), allows for special law enforcement officers employed by school districts to be included in the definition of "police officer" and make them eligible for certain Kentucky Office of Homeland Security grants.
Senate Bill 232, sponsored by state Senator Brandon Smith (R-30), requires that a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) sign an application for the transfer of any item regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) within fifteen days if the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving it.  By removing any possibility of personal bias and creating a statewide standard, SB 232 protects the rights of law-abiding gun owners across the Bluegrass State.
House Bill 213, sponsored by state Representative Joni Jenkins (D-44), allows corrections officers, current or retired, of urban-county governments or consolidated local governments to use their professional training to satisfy the training requirement in applying for a concealed-carry permit.  HB 213, as amended by state Representative Stan Lee (R-45), also allows new residents in Kentucky who have valid concealed carry licenses from other states that have a reciprocal agreement with the Kentucky Department of State Police, to waive the training requirements for Kentucky licenses and to use the out-of-state license in Kentucky for their first 120 days of residence, providing that within sixty days of the resident moving to Kentucky, he or she delivers a form and accompanying documents by registered or certified mail to the Department of Kentucky State Police, evidencing proof of a valid out-of-state license to carry a concealed deadly weapon.  This amendment also stipulates that an out-of-state concealed carry license will become invalid in Kentucky upon either the passage of 120 days or issuance to the person a valid Kentucky concealed deadly weapons license.
House Bill 351, sponsored by state Representative Gerald Watkins (D-3), allows an individual who has legally sought a court-issued Emergency Protection Order (EPO) the ability to better defend themselves by expediting the permitting process for a CDWL, after a background check.  Senate Bill 106, sponsored by state Senator Jared Carpenter (R-34), was the Senate counterpart to HB 351 and its language and identical intent were included as well.
As reported here, the Kentucky House of Representatives concurred on HB 128, as amended by the state Senate, by a 92-6 vote on March 31.  HB 128 passed in the state Senate by a 37-1 vote on March 27.

Thank you to Governor Beshear for signing this bill into law, as well as all NRA members across Kentucky who tirelessly worked to see these important pro-gun reforms through to final passage this year.
View Quote

I haven't yet parsed all this out but it sounds like a good year for gun rights in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I haven't yet parsed all this out but it sounds like a good year for gun rights in Kentucky.
View Quote

It was a very good year.  It still could have been better as some legislation, the restaurant/bar carry bill was stalled by the House.

Short version of the changes

Temporary CCDW available for EPO filers

Exemptions from CCDW training for corrections officers, active military, and people moving to KY with a CCW permit from another state

Minor changes to the CCDW training

Electronic CCDW application and renewal

Shall Certify NFA

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top