Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2013 5:45:25 AM EDT
Is KYSRPA the biggest/best gun rights org in KY?

I'm working the budget this month and I need to do more than join the NRA and SAF. What state or local organizations exist in Kentucky to maintain our gun rights in the Commonwealth?
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You're local FNRA chapter

Facebook Page
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
There really isn't a big pro-gun group in Kentucky.  The reason being is Kentucky is very pro-gun, even the Democrats, so people feel safe and don't join.  When I lived in Michigan, which had a large anti-gun pressure and many of the Democrats were anti-gun, the urgency of doing something and being active was much more apparent.  I would like to see a group with a similar goals and motivations that the Michigan group has.  I've attended meetings here and I just don't see the drive in people to join the fight.  There are a few people like that but just like with the NRA the organization becomes more powerful based on number of members and 12 guys sitting in a dinner talking about gun rights doesn't have much power.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Its not so much fight for us here in KY. I feel like if we were organized at the state level we could make it easier to get and keep pro-gun reps in office. We can be more like cheerleaders instead of linebackers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its not so much fight for us here in KY. I feel like if we were organized at the state level we could make it easier to get and keep pro-gun reps in office. We can be more like cheerleaders instead of linebackers.

Agreed.

However we are GTG in regard to pro-gun representatives.

Yarmuth, is the only one that will certainly vote against us. We must bury this fool in letters, email and phone calls.

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget our two proud MAIG members either: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml#KY

Mayor Fischer does an OK job, but he needs to not be one of Bloombergs cronies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
About the best thing going here is the Kentucky Concealed Carry Coalition

http://kc3.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Since we have it fairly easy here it would be nice if we were leading the way when it comes to gun rights.  Five other states have passed firearm freedom acts but we still haven't.  Other states have declared state sovereignty over powers not given to the federal government by the United States Constitution.  We haven't passed one yet.  Several states allow concealed carry without permit but Kentucky isn't one of them.  Having an effective organization that could track the legislation and then help fight to remove the politicians blocking things would be idea.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
As the NRA state affiliate, The League of Kentucky Sportman should be the clearing house for this sort of thing. Although their numbers are inflated, they do have the largest membership in the state.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Just because an organization is the NRA affiliate doesn't mean they are the most aggressive or proactive force when it comes to gun rights.  A lot of the NRA affiliates are primarily FUDD organizations who only care about hunting issues and shooting skeet.  I don't know anything about The League of Kentucky Sportman but from the name itself it suggests a FUDD type organization.  A quick search of their site shows a legislation page and all the bills they have an opinion on are related to hunting or boating.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the leads. I guess I have some homework to do.

Quoted:
Just because an organization is the NRA affiliate doesn't mean they are the most aggressive or proactive force when it comes to gun rights.  A lot of the NRA affiliates are primarily FUDD organizations who only care about hunting issues and shooting skeet.  I don't know anything about The League of Kentucky Sportman but from the name itself it suggests a FUDD type organization.  A quick search of their site shows a legislation page and all the bills they have an opinion on are related to hunting or boating.  

Gun owners are our own worst enemies.

Its a hell of a lot less work to get a Fudd working for a complete unadulterated right to keep and bear arms than it is to convert an anti or assimiliate a noob. I disagree with the Fudds, but I disagree with them a lot less than the antis!

THE ENEMY IS THAT WAY! We can settle the rivalry between Duck Squad and Tactical Troop when the war is over.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Texas has a very strong firearms organization. Texas State Rifle Association.

The TSRA is involved in all legislation regarding firearms.

Even Illinois has a very vocal state rifle association and they're working very hard to pass carrying in Illinois.

I was really surprised when I moved to Kentucky that there isn't a large and defined organization for firearms rights.

The only one I was aware of is KC3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top