Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 8:19:02 PM EDT
Well, over many years I've accumulated a pretty diverse collection of pistols and rifles.  From milsurp to modern, edc, shooters, beaters and even some safe queens... I love them all... ya, do get a little chubbed up going through the safes  

Somehow an AK has never followed me home.  It looks like I'll be stuck in CT for at least another 5 years and I'd like to add a 7.62x39 AK to my FDM collection before/if the window closes.  Would prefer more of an "as original" style versus a receiver dropped into modern plastic.  Going to shoot it, not looking for "numbers have to match" collection piece.

Among our very limited preban choices, are there specific, most desirable makes/models that I should start my focus on?  Are underfolders miserable to shoot past a few mags?  Total crap rifles to avoid?  Any shops in CT that are the AK guys?

Hopefully that's enough info and the right info to get something started here.  I figured CTHTF made sense as my square one due to the preban bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a shop but if you pick up a norinco mak90 I'll show you how to make an AK clone

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Chinese AK is best AK
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, and yes, MAK-90 is a DEFINITE possibility... was just hoping to go machined versus stamped... from my limited knowledge, only the AK will be the heavier, machined receiver.  Surely this will also come at a larger premium, if available at all within reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
All preban AK's are well built, it's the post 94 parts kit guns that are junk. Chinese are the most prevalent and cheapest (Mak-90 model), but there are others, just expect to pay through the nose. They're all relatively the same with some minor differences, mostly cosmetic. The only thing to look out for is slant cut vs square cut reaciever. And yes underfolders are dreadful, but sure look cool.

Action pic of my original Norinco AKM-47S

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, and yes, MAK-90 is a DEFINITE possibility... was just hoping to go machined versus stamped... from my limited knowledge, only the AK will be the heavier, machined receiver.  Surely this will also come at a larger premium, if available at all within reason.
View Quote
Milled vs stamped isn't really a concern, maybe if full auto, but I wouldn't pay the premium for milled unless I was collecting varieties. That said the Chinese stamped guns have a thicker than normal receiver that is closer to an AK vs AKM.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All preban AK's are well built, it's the post 94 parts kit guns that are junk. Chinese are the most prevalent and cheapest (Mak-90 model), but there are others, just expect to pay through the nose. They're all relatively the same with some minor differences, mostly cosmetic. The only thing to look out for is slant cut vs square cut reaciever. And yes underfolders are dreadful, but sure look cool.

Action pic of my original Norinco AKM-47S

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/208159/IMG_1417-285802.JPG
View Quote
While I have one, my knowledge on them is infintile.

What is preferred, slant or straight? And why?

And what makes underfolders dreadful? I'm genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While I have one, my knowledge on them is infintile.

What is preferred, slant or straight? And why?

And what makes underfolders dreadful? I'm genuinely curious.
View Quote
Square is much better. This refers to the cut of the rear most portion of the receiver where it attaches to the butt stock. Square Chinese will take any furniture (fitting will be required for non Chinese and AKM pattern stocks), while slant cut will need custom made stocks from somewhere like Iron Wood Design (these run over $200).

Underfolders are just super uncomfortable to shoot, to the point of it even being difficult to make quick or long distance shots.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
While I'm not the norm, I'd chose underfolder over full stock.  It's more comfortable to shoot for me, and I think it's because of the wider shoulder area on the underfolder than the wooden stock.  
Wrap the arms in paracord and it's fine.  
There are very few people that agree with me(although they are out there), I just wanted to throw out my opinion and make the decision that much harder.  

The advice given has been perfect though.  Pick up a stamped mak90 square cut rifle.  Throw a standard stock and pistol grip on, push off the fsb, press on a front sight base with cleaning rod retaining fangs....you have an awesome ak.  

Or spend a little more up front and get a type 56.
It's a true preban in the ak world.  Pre-89, which is important to ak guys.
You won't have to do a thing to it.  
In the end they'll both end up costing the same, one is up front, the other takes money thrown at it until it's pretty much the other one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I'm not the norm, I'd chose underfolder over full stock.  It's more comfortable to shoot for me, and I think it's because of the wider shoulder area on the underfolder than the wooden stock.  
Wrap the arms in paracord and it's fine.  
There are very few people that agree with me(although they are out there), I just wanted to throw out my opinion and make the decision that much harder.  

The advice given has been perfect though.  Pick up a stamped mak90 square cut rifle.  Throw a standard stock and pistol grip on, push off the fsb, press on a front sight base with cleaning rod retaining fangs....you have an awesome ak.  

Or spend a little more up front and get a type 56.
It's a true preban in the ak world.  Pre-89, which is important to ak guys.
You won't have to do a thing to it.  
In the end they'll both end up costing the same, one is up front, the other takes money thrown at it until it's pretty much the other one.
View Quote
Solid advice from our brother Bender.

ETA: Just don't let him talk you into letting monsters live in your house! 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Solid advice from our brother Bender.

ETA: Just don't let him talk you into letting monsters live in your house! 
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIL7A9jokiE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top