Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 2:59:06 PM EDT
I saw this on their facebook page and I know a few of you guys belong there.

Effective Immediately .50cal and .338L are PROHIBITED on the rifle range.  300wm is the largest caliber allowed on the rifle range and I'd
appreciate it if you'd only shoot steel from 425 and out w/ a 300wm.  
In addition no calibers that exceed 3150fps are allowed on the range as
well.    We've been getting complaints from the neighbors about noise and large cal rifles.  In addition, I found 4 steel targets
knocked off their hooks between 277 and 1015 (including the 1015y IPSC target which a member admitted to hitting w/ a .338L.)  I found the
steel target in the picture broken / cracked and the hook fused to the
t-post from getting shot. I'm sorry for those who have 50s and .338s,
but we have to do what's best for the club, other members and the
community.  An email will also be sent out to members regarding these
changes.  Thanks for your cooperation.
Nick (Rifle Range Director).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link to Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/GranbyBowandGun/posts/1401514836634248

The two images mentioned in the post...

Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
was thinking of joining. guess there is no reason to now

not that i have time for it. but i would have liked to shoot there
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
That is unfortunate. I heard possibility of .50 but the .338 is news to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to Metacon!

No .50 without a can because of noise.  There are three guys out of 780 that meet that criteria.

.300WM or less on club steel.

I can shoot .338LM but only at a paper target or my own steel (which I do bring)

The sound thing I do not get as .338LM or .408CT is loud as fuck but they have no can requirement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Or you can have issues like this guy from his own club in CT, Bell City !!! I really don't get the noise issue, it's a gun range !!
https://youtu.be/4JGdSqCi7ds
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or you can have issues like this guy from his own club in CT, Bell City !!! I really don't get the noise issue, it's a gun range !!
View Quote
FUDD PATROL

"My grandkids polish my guns"

"I bought a box of 20 rounds of 3006 last week.  Damn!  I remember when it was 2 cents around."

"Damn hippies with their machine guns."

"One shot every 5 minutes is all ya need to be happy."

"Where's my rhumatiz meds?"

"Help me pull this stick out of my ass."
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I joined last September and haven't been able to get up there yet.  Its a good thing I don't own a 50 or 338.
Did they find the Quad yet?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
That guy actually had his muzzle pointed opposite direction than the the berm.....really horrible muzzle control.  

Am I gonna be the only one to say that the way that guy emptied that mag was extremely annoying
60 round mag, one shot every second, took a minute to empty.  True rapid firing would have been much more considerate.
Full auto would have only been about 6 seconds to empty.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did they find the Quad yet?
View Quote
What's the story with this?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bell City is actually pretty good, I've never had a problem there.  

This guy wasn't following the rules, although the rapid fire rules is vague.  Noise is always an issue, as the range is surrounded by homes on 3 sides.  People can act like they can or should be able to do anything they want at there "club", but the reality is local residents and towns are looking for any reason to shut places like this down.... don't need to look much farther than Wallingford for another great example of what clubs/gun owners face.

FUDD count at Bell City is extremely high, but the range is nice and I often have it to myself.... so I can't complain.  They also have an excellent guess policy, so it's nice to be able to bring friends.

Granby is going thru what most ranges do, having to change rules and policies to accomidate the issues that are being presented.  Having spent several years working on a public range I've found there are two types of people who break rules.  #1 Actually ignorant of the rules, while this is sad.... it's not uncommon.  #2 People who know the rules, know what is a violation..... but don't care and never had any intentions of following "someone else's rule", these types of people are far more common then #1 and are often the same people that whine about everything that they feel prevents them from doing what they want at the range/club.  They are also more likely to be unsafe, and generally have horrible gun handling skills.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This guy wasn't following the rules, although the rapid fire rules is vague.  Noise is always an issue, as the range is surrounded by homes on 3 sides.  People can act like they can or should be able to do anything they want at there "club", but the reality is local residents and towns are looking for any reason to shut places like this down.... don't need to look much farther than Wallingford for another great example of what clubs/gun owners face.

FUDD count at Bell City is extremely high, but the range is nice and I often have it to myself.... so I can't complain.  They also have an excellent guess policy, so it's nice to be able to bring friends.

Granby is going thru what most ranges do, having to change rules and policies to accomidate the issues that are being presented.  Having spent several years working on a public range I've found there are two types of people who break rules.  #1 Actually ignorant of the rules, while this is sad.... it's not uncommon.  #2 People who know the rules, know what is a violation..... but don't care and never had any intentions of following "someone else's rule", these types of people are far more common then #1 and are often the same people that whine about everything that they feel prevents them from doing what they want at the range/club.  They are also more likely to be unsafe, and generally have horrible gun handling skills.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That at guy was a member here
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
What was his handle?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What was his handle?
View Quote
He's like voldemort. We dare knot speak his name
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I was just there recently for the first time and it was awesome - the place is amazing and I really liked the people I met/came across while up there.

Heard some chatter about the .338/50 cal issues - I'm not sure what else they are supposed to do if guys are breaking steel targets and the place is getting noise complaints.  What would you guys propose?

My guess is they tighten up some things over time and these issues - noise complaints and how to allow for bigger cal guns - get sorted out eventually.

What they've done up there so far is impressive and I wouldn't bet against them making it even better over time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#16]
If you give them an inch they take 2

Give them 3 they take 4

Give them a rope they want to be a cowboy Gus
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Give them 3 they take 4

View Quote
Are you suggesting they ignore the complaints?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
How about requiring a suppressor for big bore rifles. Not something out of the ordinary for these rifles.
How about thicker steel targets and/or requiring lead core or brass rounds, on close targets w/ bigger bore rifles.

Seems like everyone would benefit from these items
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give them 3 they take 4

Just give he public reach around and go back to doing the same thing
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about requiring a suppressor for big bore rifles. Not something out of the ordinary for these rifles.
How about thicker steel targets and/or requiring lead core or brass rounds, on close targets w/ bigger bore rifles.

View Quote
No cans in MA at this time, but I think its a great idea.

Like your second idea as well - I'm sure they'll establish stricter rules about what can be shot at which targets.

In the end, I'm rooting for them.  It is a pretty awesome place I hope many can enjoy for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mass generally doesn't allow suppressors (see. MGL c. 269 s. 10A).

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years in state prison or for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit a federally licensed firearms manufacturer from selling such instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance to authorized law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes or to the municipal police training committee for law enforcement training. Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the instrument, attachment or other article shall be confiscated by the commonwealth and forwarded, by the authority of the written order of the court, to the colonel of the state police, who shall destroy said article.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 10A. Any person, other than a federally licensed firearms manufacturer, an authorized agent of the municipal police training committee, or a duly authorized sworn law enforcement officer while acting within the scope of official duties and under the direct authorization of the police chief or his designee, or the colonel of the state police, who sells or keeps for sale, or offers, or gives or disposes of by any means other than submitting to an authorized law enforcement agency, or uses or possesses any instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol or other firearm shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than five years in state prison or for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction. Nothing contained herein shall be construed to prohibit a federally licensed firearms manufacturer from selling such instrument, attachment, weapon or appliance to authorized law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes or to the municipal police training committee for law enforcement training. Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the instrument, attachment or other article shall be confiscated by the commonwealth and forwarded, by the authority of the written order of the court, to the colonel of the state police, who shall destroy said article.
So what UM said in one sentence.  Good to have backup though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top