Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 2:01:29 PM EDT
It's for all the reasons you might know and then there is this:

Republican Gov. Paul LePage on Monday gave his signature to a bill that prohibits the keeping of a list or registry of privately-owned firearms or gun owners.

The measure signed this week without comment, LD 9, passed the Maine House 122-24 and the Senate 35-0 earlier this month.

“In the United States a hallmark of how we exercise our rights is that it can be done anonymously,” said Rep. Patrick Corey, R-Windam, the measure’s sponsor. “This is especially true for people who may hold unpopular opinions and beliefs, and let’s face it, gun ownership is unpopular with some people. This is as true for the Second Amendment as the First and for good reason.”

Windam’s measure, now public law, bans any state agency or local government from maintaining a registry of privately owned guns or list of those who own them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Bravo Maine!

At least the Massholes haven't destroyed Maine yet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bravo Maine!

At least the Massholes haven't destroyed Maine yet.
View Quote
They will once they finish destroying New Hampshire...

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not like they aren't trying but even so, know that this legislation passed BOTH HOUSES but the republicans don't own both houses.  Gov. LePage has taken his lumps big time.  He's served two terms and, under Maine law, he's term-limited out.  The next election will tell which way Maine will go.  Their legislature is divided only by a couple of seats: Republican reps are 72 and Dems are 77,  Senate is in favor of the Republicans by 1 seat.  It'll be critical for the republicans to hold on and maybe take the house.  Maine tends to be a "red" state but along the tourist coastline from Kittery to Yarmouth there is a strong liberal bent there for some reason.  Go West or North from there and it's red.  People there tend to be rough and tumble and exhibit a "leave me alone"attitude but if you need help they are there before you can ask.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Once we (family) can go it's either Maine or New Hampshire for us.  Leaning towards NH
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Best friend lives in Keene and you have to drive over a covered bridge to get to his house on the river.  It's really nice there.  Still, Maine is what beckons us for some strange reason.  Probably the ocean.  If I take my anticipated retirement money to Maine, I'll get almost 2x the value for it in property and lower property taxes and there's no tax on retirement money there, either.  Plus I love lobster. LOL
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best friend lives in Keene and you have to drive over a covered bridge to get to his house on the river.  It's really nice there.  Still, Maine is what beckons us for some strange reason.  Probably the ocean.  If I take my anticipated retirement money to Maine, I'll get almost 2x the value for it in property and lower property taxes and there's no tax on retirement money there, either.  Plus I love lobster. LOL
View Quote
Ocean?!?!? NH has about 42' of shoreline!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Maine has the same problem NY does. Most of it is rural and conservative. Leave me alone and I will leave you alone attitude. However the population of Westchester, Long island and the city dominate the politics and have for 40 years.

Maine has the hippie, Starbucks drinking, flip flop wearing, Prius driving liberals dominating the coastline. Kittery to Portland are relocated Massholes who are always voting blue and wondering why the place they move to gets so expensive.

If I could convince my wife that winter is ok I would move to the Caribou/Presque Isle area of ME. I love it there. Give me some acres and I can be a grumpy old curmudgeon to my hearts content. Mrs. Edgephoto is slowly coming around. She wants to live in the woods away from all people too now. She even is thinking of winter as a better season than summer, almost anyway. After several weird insect bites, battling gypsy moths, and other pests she is coming around.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
MS changed my wife into loving winter   too hot and she goes blind

Personally I take whatever comes. I love every day. Regardless of the weather.  But there are few things more fun than hunting snowshoe hares with a pistol on snowshoes.  I used to use a cap and ball 44 til I found out it was a felony in NYS.

It's a sea of white, you see the tracks you know they are there. But where? You strain to see against the glaring sun.  Then you spot it. A small black eye, like a glistening M&M in the snow.  You take aim.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Lepage will be lucky to win another term. He is well hated in the areas where the voters congregate
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't run, however.  He's term limited out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#11]
this i did not know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once we (family) can go it's either Maine or New Hampshire for us.  Leaning towards NH
View Quote
Same here. Exactly the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top