Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2017 7:19:35 PM EDT
I learned today Highrock no longer allows the use of steel plates for targets.  It's a function of their ongoing compliance with a review by the state into complaints by local hikers/park go-ers.

We've had a great run over the years - I've done much shooting on the cheap, I've upgraded and made use of my steel plate collection over the years, and I've come to know and like many of the RO's there.

I know the range is fighting just to stay open, but this last change (among other recent ones) is kind of a game changer for me.  I'm going to start looking for a new place to shoot.

If people have private club recommendations, I'd love to hear them.  I'm an upstanding guy, always bring cool gear to the range, am an NRA instructor and RO at another indoor pistol club, and now have a collection of steel plates to donate to any place that will have me.

Thanks for the memories Highrock.  Hope you guys make it through this in one piece.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Andover sportsman llub is where a lot of the guys here shoot. If you normally go to highrock this sounds like it could be a bit of a hike for you unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Andover sportsman llub is where a lot of the guys here shoot. If you normally go to highrock this sounds like it could be a bit of a hike for you unfortunately.
View Quote
Johns Andover steel handgun range is my favorite thing in Eastern CT!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree, I go to the pistol range more then the rifle range. It us so frigging satisfying hearing "ping, ping, ping".

Here's to john and the members here that helped get the pistol range together.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree, I go to the pistol range more then the rifle range. It us so frigging satisfying hearing "ping, ping, ping".

View Quote
Hell yes!

My favorite thing is not needing to bring anything. Gun, ammo, eye/ear pro, that's it. It makes quick trips so easy and convenient.

I've got to start getting my work hours in.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I belong to Andover and Somers.

I joined Andover because so many of you guys here belong. I thought it would be a fun place to go for a change. I too need to get my hours in.

I shoot as much as I can at Somers. The range is more rustic than Andover and usually quiet. I also only live 6 miles away which makes it nice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried joining Andover earlier this year...unfortunately the acceptance time of over a year
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Since I dropped out of Metacon in 14 I rarely shoot anymore. I go to highrock now and then.  Last time I was there I was told no more ground targets.  

Since I get week days off mostly I'll probably go to Wooster mountain to sight in my 22s and get some pistol time in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hell yes!

My favorite thing is not needing to bring anything. Gun, ammo, eye/ear pro, that's it. It makes quick trips so easy and convenient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yes!

I agree completely. It is very convient, I usually have my pistol on my hip and I wear " safety" sunglasses all the time so for me its a case of a box or 2 of ammo and a pair of foam ear plugs in the pocket and a 10 minute drive.

For those of you who belong to Andover and need hours head to Andover this morning, they are having a sporting clays shoot and always need more hands to set up, run the shoot and break down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll starting exploring the places discussed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree completely. It is very convient, I usually have my pistol on my hip and I wear " safety" sunglasses all the time so for me its a case of a box or 2 of ammo and a pair of foam ear plugs in the pocket and a 10 minute drive.

For those of you who belong to Andover and need hours head to Andover this morning, they are having a sporting clays shoot and always need more hands to set up, run the shoot and break down.
View Quote
I'm the same with the glasses. I actually started limiting how much ammo I bring because I can just sit there all day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried joining Andover earlier this year...unfortunately the acceptance time of over a year
View Quote
It took me three years, it was worth the wait. Keep applying every January.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
We changed the rules, list rolls over now. All names on list now should get in late Feb/early March when people drop or don't pay renewals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, where do you live?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, where do you live?
View Quote
Southwestern CT, so its a drive for me wherever I go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Andover is a ride for you. Somers is even farther. You will find almost all clubs have a waiting list, usually several years.

Hartford Gun club is not cheap but they are taking members. The facilities are very nice and if you pay a public range like Blue Trails then Hartford pays for itself after a few trips. I belonged to Hartford Gun Club while I waited to get into Somers. They have trap, skeet, sporting clays, indoor pistol, outdoor pistol, action pit, and 200 yard rifle range. I found everyone to be super nice there. If it was not a 50 minute drive vs. not even 10 I would have stayed a member.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok range talk. Anyone down for a Somers shooting trip? I can bring 2! Or is Andover better for the group. Let's get it on the calendar so I can start bribing the wife.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm down for either.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was under the impression I was on a list? I have to reapply every year?

Edit- thanks Johnsmyname for the clarification
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
John said they changed the rules, my bad, I was unaware. They used to open a new list every year but they don't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Edit- thanks Johnsmyname for the clarification
View Quote
PM sent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Ain't nobody in the southeast
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok range talk. Anyone down for a Somers shooting trip? I can bring 2! Or is Andover better for the group. Let's get it on the calendar so I can start bribing the wife.
View Quote
Somers works for me. I can do Andover too.

I can drag two guests to either club.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#24]
what are the other rule changes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
What I gathered last time I was there...

Pistol on right side
Rifle on left.  
No shooting rifle in your pistol port or vice versa

No ground targets

That's all I know.   I know what they're trying to accomplish, but it's kinda leaving  grey areas
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What I gathered last time I was there...

Pistol on right side
Rifle on left.  

No ground targets

That's all I know.   I know what they're trying to accomplish, but it's kinda leaving  grey areas
View Quote
That's the stuff I don't get- can't shoot rifle if your shooting pistol? Wtf! Can't shoot pistol if your shooting rifle? I

Errtime I go there it's more and more fuddish
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
It seems to me they make the rules up as they go along .  

There are lots of holes in their logic.  What they need is a berm on the left.  I'd be willing to bet any stray bullets are from people shooting left beyond the berm.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been a while since I've been there, wonder when they started that? As crowded as it gets some times it would suck to have to wait for a port to open up to shoot your pistol after shooting your rifle and vise versa.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#29]
From what I gather it is High Rock making these new rules to try and satisfy State and DEEP from complaints of hikers finding ricochet marks left on trees where they hike. We all know the State will gladly close down the range for good unless changes are done. I think it's kinda a good idea though having rifles on one side and pistols on the other. At least you do not have a muzzle break from a rifle blasting you in the face while you are shooting pistols with the new changes I haven't been to HR in almost 2 yrs since I witnessed a ricochet from someone that went through the port next to me and sailed clean through a RO's rear and front windshield of his car
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#30]
How do they know it was from the range and not someone shooting in the forest?  The logging that goes on there and the work on the power lines brings in all sorts of people  

I have very little faith in people being honest, and I'm going out on a limb here.  

They're logging in the area directly behind the range.   Makes me go hmmm.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From what I gather it is High Rock making these new rules to try and satisfy State and DEEP from complaints of hikers finding ricochet marks left on trees where they hike. We all know the State will gladly close down the range for good unless changes are done. I think it's kinda a good idea though having rifles on one side and pistols on the other. At least you do not have a muzzle break from a rifle blasting you in the face while you are shooting pistols with the new changes I haven't been to HR in almost 2 yrs since I witnessed a ricochet from someone that went through the port next to me and sailed clean through a RO's rear and front windshield of his car
View Quote
I've had shit come flying back from people in the next port shooting at bowling pins they put out 10 yards or so from the line at Highrock. So I can understand that change. We all know what was done to BTR (Blue Trail Range) by the media and anti gunners as they tried to shut down that range. They succeed in driving up the cost enough that I stopped going there. I've always suspected they'd turn their sites to places like Highrock and Wooster Mtn. They want to drive public ranges out of business or make it so expensive most cannot afford to use them.

I've been stuck next to a guy shooting a 50 cal at Highrock. That was NOT fun. Got some mild revenge when the guy shooting the 50 bitched about the muzzle brake on my Stag AR bothering him as he tried to shoot his pistols when he put his 50 away.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Got some mild revenge when the guy shooting the 50 bitched about the muzzle brake on my Stag AR bothering him as he tried to shoot his pistols when he put his 50 away.
View Quote
Seriously, what a dick head. Wish I could have heard your response.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've had shit come flying back from people in the next port shooting at bowling pins they put out 10 yards or so from the line at Highrock. So I can understand that change. We all know what was done to BTR (Blue Trail Range) by the media and anti gunners as they tried to shut down that range. They succeed in driving up the cost enough that I stopped going there. I've always suspected they'd turn their sites to places like Highrock and Wooster Mtn. They want to drive public ranges out of business or make it so expensive most cannot afford to use them.

I've been stuck next to a guy shooting a 50 cal at Highrock. That was NOT fun. Got some mild revenge when the guy shooting the 50 bitched about the muzzle brake on my Stag AR bothering him as he tried to shoot his pistols when he put his 50 away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whew, I thought it may have been me .  but i ain't haven't knot never complained there
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Theres a push to develop condos beyond the ridge towards the back of the range, along with supposed complaints from hikers. From what I know the changes are temporary until a wall goes up on the left side. I live in Naugatuck so I'm there often, the place has been empty past 2 months so the whole changing ports to shoot pistol or rifle isn't an issue, they normally just let me grab my stuff and slide down.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seriously, what a dick head. Wish I could have heard your response.
View Quote
There have been a few from time to time who bitched about the muzzle brake bothering them, either from the noise or the smoke. Usually I just respond; don't blame me, blame the state for mandating the stupid brake in the first place. Usually its either a noob or a fuddie who complains about brakes to me or other's shooting AR's at Highrock in the past. AR shooters don't care.

The guy shooting the 50 though I literally gave him a face when he bitched. At first I thought he was joking but then realized he was serious. I laughed and commented that he didn't hear me (or anyone else) complaining about his 50, yet he has a problem with the stupid brake on my Stag. That elicited a chuckle from those in the port on the other side and the RO who overheard the exchange.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Whereabouts are they planning for the condos?

In the SF? Or surrounding area.  I know the forest pretty well, I hunt it alot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whereabouts are they planning for the condos?

In the SF? Or surrounding area.  I know the forest pretty well, I hunt it alot.
View Quote
I'm not sure of the details just heard it from one of the range safety guys when they were complaining about the state coming down on them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
The new rules are temporary while the state completes it's investigation into bullets "leaving" the range. We had, IIRC two complaints in a month leading up to the clubs renewal of the lease for the range land. Bullets were supposedly found on the trail that goes behind the range. From what I was told in the 11 & 2 o'clock positions on the range you can see ricochets on the trees in the woods in the area of the  projectiles with heavy oxidation were "found" there is no damage to the trees from stray impacts. Also the projectiles were supposedly not of the type that Naugatuck PD uses to train!    

Can ya spell the bullshit?

HRSA has a choice, get shut down or implement some "temporary" changes until the investigation is completed & range improvements are completed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The new rules are temporary while the state completes it's investigation into bullets "leaving" the range. We had, IIRC two complaints in a month leading up to the clubs renewal of the lease for the range land. Bullets were supposedly found on the trail that goes behind the range. From what I was told in the 11 & 2 o'clock positions on the range you can see ricochets on the trees in the woods in the area of the  projectiles with heavy oxidation were "found" there is no damage to the trees from stray impacts. Also the projectiles were supposedly not of the type that Naugatuck PD uses to train!    

HRSA has a choice, get shut down or implement some "temporary" changes until the investigation is completed & range improvements are completed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep up the fight !!! As others have said what is there to stop people or corporations from planting evidence only to move ahead with their agenda, let it be new housing or just being gun hating 2nd amendment bashers !!!! All he said she said bullshit !!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Keep up the fight !!! As others have said what is there to stop people or corporations from planting evidence only to move ahead with their agenda, let it be new housing or just being gun hating 2nd amendment bashers !!!! All he said she said bullshit !!!
View Quote
+1, that guy in Brantford shot up his own house to try and close blue trail.

Shotgun shells flew over the bern. Over a hunnit yards
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
+1, that guy in Brantford shot up his own house to try and close blue trail.

Shotgun shells flew over the bern. Over a hunnit yards
View Quote
Much derp with the BTR incident. The media clearly were out to shut the range down, with WTNH going so far as have their reporter stand in the state forest on the other side of the lake, hold up a hand full of BRASS and claim it came from BTR.

To hit that guy's house it would have to be a magic bullet. They showed bullet strikes just under the roof overhang claiming it came (over the hill) from BTR. When they failed to shut the range down over bullet strikes they tried to shut it down over lead contamination. Several lead tests were done of the water and no elevated levels were found even though the range has been there for 50+ years and was used as some sort of military range during WWII.

All that happened is BTR has to pay out a pile of money to add "safety" improvements (stupid baffles forcing bench only shooting on the rifle range) and shut down the 200 yard range. This drove up the cost for customers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top