Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
Hey guys I know some of you have done windows(can't remember who), maybe zeger, but can anyone recommend a good place to order from that I can get delivered to my house and I can install myself?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the windows in my house.

I ordered Pellas from Lowes. I don't think it'll matter much where you order them from, although you'll probably get better insight and guidance etc from a Kelly Fradet or other supply house, but you'll pay a premium there, too. I had to make a couple return trips prior to ordering because I didn't know exactly what to look for and the guys at Lowes were no help at all.

I wouldn't get Pellas, though, unless you're just trying to flip the house or something. They are fine, look nice etc, but I've found a couple quirks that I notice and I can be a perfectionist. Some of them aren't perfectly square, some of the plastic welded seams are a little rough, and some of the screens are practically diagonal. All little complaints but you get what you pay for. IF this was going to be my "forever house" I'd be annoyed but they're all little things that don't really matter other than aesthetics. They perform more than well enough for what I paid.

We got all 19 of our windows and the big picture window for right around $3k. They are middle of the road model and they have some extra features; annealed (tinted), triple glass on the picture window, shatter proof on the first floor and over the deck, gas filled, double hung, etc) That includes the hardware, the lower floor sills I had to replace, and insulation too. We had a 10% off Lowes coupon from moving and they had a 25% off customer ordered windows deal at the time, so we made out like bandits.

American Window quoted me $6k (including labor) without the picture window.

Im slammed up until July, but I can come take a look if you want after that when I get some time. I can help you measure and get you ready to order, and when they come in if I have time I'll do a couple with you to get you rolling.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have replaced all the windows in my house one room at a time.

I did most of them with units from Lyon and Billiard. The price was good and they delivered them right to my garage. I live in Stafford and I ordered them at the Cheshire store. The windows are very nice and work excellent.

I have 7 Pellas I bought at Lowe's. I bought the top model. They have 3 tiers. These windows are absolute junk. I hate them with a passion. Everytime I open or close them I get annoyed. I am proboably going to replace them again in a couple of years. I hate them that much.

What is wrong with the Pella windows you ask?

1. Fit and finish is poor but for the price we paid we thought we could deal with it. The plastic welds are not nicely finished.
2. The you can feel air leaks around them. My other windows don't leak.
3. The locks are cheap compared to my other windows.
4. They do not close nicely. You need to fiddle around to get the upper and lower sash to close otherwise the lower sash pulls the top sash down. This is the major issue especially for Mrs. Edgephoto. She gets really mad and yells for me to come and "close the F***ing windows!!!!".
5. The screen retention is poor and does not work well. Little pins hold it in place. My other ones are in a track and are much nicer.
6. The tilt to wash releases are not as easy to release as my good windows.

Why did I buy these things you ask? Because I did not realize this until after I special ordered them. We had a coupon, plus they were on sales plus 5% off with the card made them less expensive. Hind sight being 20/20 I gladly would have paid the extra.

If you want to come over and see the differences let me know. I am in Stafford and home all weekend. Bring the Mrs. so she can see. My wife will gladly tell you how much she hates them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you really want replacement windows? If you must go this route I understand, but your time and money can be better spent. After all, you leave an old frame in-place while spending money on new windows.

I'd suggest pulling the old windows and installing new construction units. Yes, you'll need to replace interior trim. Yes, you'll have to replace or add exterior trim. However, the difference is night and day, and well worth the added effort/expense. You'll, also, get a chance to properly seal around the frame/house interface and add some new insulation.

Going this route, opens your options to brands and styles. I'd go w/ an Andersen 200 or 400 series, depending on budget. Regardless of anyone's opinion or price-point, Andersen makes superior quality windows. Their attention to detail and quality control is, IMHO, unmatched.

Doing this yourself will allow you to put some additional money into your work, where else it would go to a contractor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you really want replacement windows? If you must go this route I understand, but your time and money can be better spent. After all, you leave an old frame in-place while spending money on new windows.

I'd suggest pulling the old windows and installing new construction units. Yes, you'll need to replace interior trim. Yes, you'll have to replace or add exterior trim. However, the difference is night and day, and well worth the added effort/expense. You'll, also, get a chance to properly seal around the frame/house interface and add some new insulation.

Going this route, opens your options to brands and styles. I'd go w/ an Andersen 200 or 400 series, depending on budget. Regardless of anyone's opinion or price-point, Andersen makes superior quality windows. Their attention to detail and quality control is, IMHO, unmatched.

Doing this yourself will allow you to put some additional money into your work, where else it would go to a contractor.
View Quote
If you can the replacement of windows with entire units is better than replacement windows. Better quality, nicer look and you get the chance to fix gaps and leaks.

In my case new construction windows did not make sense. My house was built in 1910 and the windows are not standard size. Add to this aluminum siding and 100 year old wide mouldings. These three hurdles were not worth it for me.

If your house is built post war then the windows are standard size. If your windows have Brick Mould around them then replacing them is pretty easy and straight forward. If they use a nail flange then not as easy but still doable. You would have to remove the inside moulding. Not a big deal if your house is post ware as these moulding profiles can be bought at lumber yards for a reasonable price.

If you plan to sell this house in a few years or can't do the work then replacements are the way to go.

In my situation I would have liked to replace mine with new construction but that would have required a major dollar investment in new siding and mouldings. Couple this cash outlay with the time and effort I could not justify it. My house is not worth it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in that boat as well.

I still had to replace interior trim, though, which needed doing anyways.

New construction windows are considerably more work and time. ESPECIALLY when you're doing the work yourself. You're talking the difference between doing 3-4 windows a day to doing maybe one per day and still having to wrap up trim etc.

I would only do them if you anticipate doing siding VERY soon, too. I have cedar shake siding, so it may be different for aluminum or vinyl siding.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! I've been de-wallpapering/gluing my upstairs bathroom all weekend, haven't had a minute to come back to respond.

Zeg, yep I remembered your photos of the windows being out, right after I posted.  The way you described the quality, with edge confirming that, has led me away from that route.

The upstairs windows in my house were replaced before we bought the house.  They went with 3 pane very high end replacements from the Peter L. Brown company which is out of Granby.

We had them come out and give an estimate to match what is up there.  I said energy efficiency is not a huge concern, it's more the look/feel/quality we're after.
12k is the estimate, just for the downstairs, but it's 15 windows.

When the original owner did the upstairs windows, they also replaced the siding on the house, and the roof.  
All of the wood trim/doors, etc in my house are stained and lacquered, and matching everywhere, no way I'm tearing that out from around the windows.  So new construction windows are out.

At this point we're not sure what to do.  I can do the work myself, but I don't know where to buy quality windows.  This company has the windows we want, but they are made for them only and that also requires them to install them too.

Our original windows aren't horrible either, the glazing is just crumbling on a few of them, and there's no chance I'm messing with that shit!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you post a pic of the inside and outside view of one of the windows?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys! I've been de-wallpapering/gluing my upstairs bathroom all weekend, haven't had a minute to come back to respond.

Zeg, yep I remembered your photos of the windows being out, right after I posted.  The way you described the quality, with edge confirming that, has led me away from that route.

The upstairs windows in my house were replaced before we bought the house.  They went with 3 pane very high end replacements from the Peter L. Brown company which is out of Granby.

We had them come out and give an estimate to match what is up there.  I said energy efficiency is not a huge concern, it's more the look/feel/quality we're after.
12k is the estimate, just for the downstairs, but it's 15 windows.

When the original owner did the upstairs windows, they also replaced the siding on the house, and the roof.  
All of the wood trim/doors, etc in my house are stained and lacquered, and matching everywhere, no way I'm tearing that out from around the windows.  So new construction windows are out.

At this point we're not sure what to do.  I can do the work myself, but I don't know where to buy quality windows.  This company has the windows we want, but they are made for them only and that also requires them to install them too.

Our original windows aren't horrible either, the glazing is just crumbling on a few of them, and there's no chance I'm messing with that shit!
View Quote
A check of Peter L. Brown's web site says they use windows made by Mastic.

Mastic is Ply Gem. Looks like they only sell through "pros".  A search using my Zip shows Kelley-Fradet as a Pro. You might be able to buy them there. If not, maybe someone here is a pro and can help you order windows for a small convenience fee.

Your quote of $800 per window is high but I am sure the Peter L. Brown sells it as "We are craftsmen and only use windows made for us". In reality they use windows only sold to pros and there are two guys who show up and knock out 6-8 windows per day.

A replacement window on average costs about $200-250 for a decent quality window. So you are paying about $550-600 in labor which you can do yourself. I have seen these window guys in action they take an hour per window, max. My father had the windows done in his house a few years before he downsized and in 4 days they replaced all his windows, nearly 30 of them on a 2800 sq. ft. colonial.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]

I don't think this photo is working....tinypic isn't working today I guess, so I'll try again later.

But edge....you got it, exactly.

I want quality windows, but I don't need someone to install them for me.

If anyone here is a pro for these plygem windows, please let me know!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i63.tinypic.com/28ssv0i.jpg

I don't think this photo is working....tinypic isn't working today I guess, so I'll try again later.

But edge....you got it, exactly.

I want quality windows, but I don't need someone to install them for me.

If anyone here is a pro for these plygem windows, please let me know!
View Quote
I would call Kelly-Fradet and tell them you want to order 15 of these windows. I would bet you they will fill the order. Why would a lumber yard turn down a $3000-4000 order?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a Pro, I have never used Plygem windows. Kelly-Ferdet should order them for you(as Edge said), if not I can try and help you out if need be.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I was able to get an approved vendor to order me some Harvey windows. Installed 15 with a friend in a day and a half. Took me two months to finish by filling the finishing nail holes... I learned  DAP window foam expands alot not than expected
I miss that old house...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#14]
^sometimes I think it would be nicer to have a home built in the 2010 area.......

But then I would be bored as hell at home
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^sometimes I think it would be nicer to have a home built in the 2010 area.......

But then I would be bored as hell at home
View Quote
When I bought my house the market was insane and I was sticking to a budget and town for certain reasons. I wish I could have afforded/found something post war. I hate plaster and lathe. Nothing is standard sized so everything has to be made custom. Makes remodeling more expensive and time consuming.

Now we are almost done. I look forward to the day when I do not have a house project hanging over my head.

Much like my father I most likely will always have a "project" to do. Dad downsized into a condo a few years ago and built a new home in Florida. He still manages to always be working on something.

Trust me you will never get "bored". I can only imagine what people's houses look like that say "this weekend was so boring, there was nothing to do.".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top