Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 9:28:25 PM EDT
So I have a friend who wants to transfer a few firearms out of his dads name into his. Normally you call the state and follow procedure the issue is that his dads permit expired a while ago and the card itself is no where to be found, How would you go about transferring the firearms? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you need a permit to transfer "out". Only the "buyer" would need one.

I might be wrong though.

Wall o text inbound.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I have a friend who wants to transfer a few firearms out of his dads name into his. Normally you call the state and follow procedure the issue is that his dads permit expired a while ago and the card itself is no where to be found, How would you go about transferring the firearms? Thanks!
View Quote

When the firearms were manufactured would have an effect on the answer
Cause I have stuff from the old boy that was given to me long before the laws changed
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You do not need a permit to own firearms. You do need permits now to purchase them.

If the son was over 18 prior to 4/4/13 and the father owned these guns prior to 4/4/13 who is to say he did not transfer them back then. We did not have to do paperwork for private long gun sales back then.

Handguns used to be able to be purchased with no permit just a wait period but that changed too. I think 4/4/13 as well but maybe earlier than that. Anyone?

The state does ask for both permits but I believe if the seller does not have one they ask for Driver License number. Maybe a call to the state is in order?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handguns used to be able to be purchased with no permit just a wait period but that changed too. I think 4/4/13 as well but maybe earlier than that. Anyone?
View Quote
Permit was required to buy a handgun some time around 94-95?
I bought my first pistol with just a 2 week wait and no permit sometime around then
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Permit was required to buy a handgun some time around 94-95?
I bought my first pistol with just a 2 week wait and no permit sometime around then
View Quote
Doing some searching it was much earlier than 2013 for sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You do not need a permit to own firearms. You do need permits now to purchase them.

If the son was over 18 prior to 4/4/13 and the father owned these guns prior to 4/4/13 who is to say he did not transfer them back then. We did not have to do paperwork for private long gun sales back then.

The state does ask for both permits but I believe if the seller does not have one they ask for Driver License number. Maybe a call to the state is in order?
View Quote
Good advice. Read, think, do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a pistol on a FTF transfer.  He moved here from CA and never had a CT permit.
Don't remember how long lived here, but never ccw nor went to range. Just had it in home. No permit required.
I called in to state and said pistol transfer, and lady asked for permit numbers.
After the "seller doesn't have one" "how does he not have one?" and explanation it is not required, she asked his info.
Name, driver license #, SS number, address, etc. I guess nics checked him with that or logged info in.
Then I gave my permit number and received the authorization #. No problems.

As was said. For pistols I believe it was required well before the new laws. Not sure of the year. Believe in 90's.
Call it in and just give sellers info and the buyers(required) permit number. I bet if give sellers expired permit #, they will see it too.
Longarms, 4/4/13 and before did not require jack shit   ETA re-read posts, provided was of legal age pre 4/4/13 infamous date. FDM
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

As said above, you do not need a permit/certificate to "sell" long guns or handguns. You need the permit to buy or receive in transfer long guns and handguns. Like was said above, which will depend on the person's age and when they turned 18 or 21, who's to say the father didn't give them the firearms before the requirements on notifying the state for private face to face (FTF) transfers were enacted. For long guns since 4/13/94 all FTF transfers are supposed to be reported to the state. For handguns since 1994 all FTF transfers are supposed to be reported to the state.

Below are the basics for post 4/4/13 face to face firearm sales/transfers:

Long Guns - On or after April 1, 2014
  • The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms (long guns).
  • If buying/selling a “preban” long gun, buyer should present to the seller a letter from the firearm manufacturer attesting to the manufacture date being prior to September 13, 1994. (SLFU rule/opinion)
  • Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.
  • Call DESPP ((860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438) for an authorization number.
  • The seller fills out three separate DPS-3-C forms. Sends one to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Sends one to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides. And the seller retains the last one for at least five years. Note: It is recommended one fill out a fourth DPS-3-C and give it to the buyer even though the statutes don't require it for long guns.
For handguns:
  • The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms (handguns).
  • If buying/selling a “preban” handgun, buyer should present to the seller a letter from the firearm manufacturer attesting to the manufacture date being prior to September 13, 1994. (SLFU rule/opinion)
  • Buyer MUST have and show the seller their valid CT Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers or a valid CT Pistol Eligibility Certificate.
  • Call DESPP ((860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438) for an authorization number.
  • The seller fills out a DPS-67-C form and retains it for 20 years.
  • The seller fills out four separate DPS-3-C forms. The seller gives one to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. Sends one to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Sends one to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides. And the seller retains the last one for at least five years.
Note: A “preban” firearm is one that was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 and meets the definition of an "assault weapon" as defined by subdivision (3) and (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the law as it was on January 1, 2013. Preban firearms are still considered “assault weapons” but are exempt from the transfer prohibitions on assault weapons, and do not need to be registered as assault weapons.

Note: If including ammunition magazines and or ammunition with the firearm sale, the law indicates that the buyer should present one of the following permits/certificates to the seller before they are allowed to take possession of the ammunition and or ammunition magazines. Acceptable permits/certificates: a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver, valid long gun eligibility certificate, or a valid ammunition certificate in addition to a person's motor vehicle operator's license, passport or other valid form of identification issued by the federal government or a state or municipal government that contains such person's date of birth and photograph. Active duty law enforcement officers may produce their badge and official police photo ID rather than one of the previously mentioned permits/certificates when obtaining ammunition and ammunition magazines.

DPS-67-C: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/dps-67-c.pdf

DPS-3-C: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/dps-3-c.pdf

Firearms and Permit Related Forms and Information
http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&Q=530224&desppNav_GID=2080

Edit to add: Post 9/13/94 firearms classified by the state as "assault weapons" are not supposed to be transferred/sold to another CT resident unless that person is a member of the exempted class. Large capacity magazines (those containing more than 10 rounds) regardless of manufacturing date likewise are not supposed to be sold/transferred to someone who isn't in the exempted class.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wall o text inbound.
View Quote
It's like you can see into the future......
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's like you can see into the future......
View Quote
I can too.  I'm special.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#11]
By crackie....back when I was young...........The laws were much more lax back in the mid-90s.  Yes, you would tie your horse up to your local gun shop, make your selection, fill out some forms, pay the man, and wait, I think, three weeks for them to do a "background" check.  Once you were cleared you returned to the shop, picked up your heater, and then had two chioces: go DIRECTLY HOME, no stopping, and put that pistola into the drawer never to be fired again.  You could NOT take it to the range or carry it with you outside the confines of your home.  Second choice similar to the first: you drove DIRECTLY to your place of business and parked it there forever.  

This scenario comported with the law that allowed homeowners and business owners to have a gun on the property without needing permit.  

That law had NEVER BEEN CHANGED...........BUT........another law did change which makes ownership without a permit moot.  Now, Connecticut REQUIRES you to have a permit issued by them to buy a pistol, period, end of discussion.  Your husband/wife can NOT gift you with one and you can't ask someone else to buy you one, either.  

This State LOVES to accuse us gun owners and shooting sports people of exercising "loopholes" to our benefit which we all know is bunk.  Here, however, is an excellent example of the State creating their own loophole: " Sure, Mr & Mrs Resident, you can have a gun on your property without having a permit BUT you must have a permit to buy one."  The exceptions are few: A permitted gun owner dies leaving the pistols in the home, you move to CT with your handguns and leave them in the house without having a permit is the only way I can see it happening.  

Finally, if you happen to have a gun like that living in the drawer, you could have a good friend who has a permit and has a range to shoot at take it and you to that range and shoot it. You, yourself, can not go alone.  Again, this is all to create the web to catch those unaware of these nuances.  Frustrates me to pieces.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, appreciate it he will be calling it into the state Monday!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top