Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:22 AM EDT
I have a friend with a S&W 469 he is looking for ten round mags or he needs to modify his 12 round mags so he can bring the gun in state. He placed a call to the firearms division and the Sgt. he spoke with stated that there is no method to alter mags to 10 rounds. Is this true? I thought that pinning a mag was acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, people here block/pin mags to 10rds all the time. This is the first time I've heard anyone say otherwise. If the mag is permanently altered to accept no more than 10 rounds, who cares how it got that way?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a friend with a S&W 469 he is looking for ten round mags or he needs to modify his 12 round mags so he can bring the gun in state. He placed a call to the firearms division and the Sgt. he spoke with stated that there is no method to alter mags to 10 rounds. Is this true? I thought that pinning a mag was acceptable.
View Quote

Officer is wrong! Dps has even gone so far as to tell smiths and shops that they can not be pinned at ten rds and not to pin any mags. There is nothing in the law that says a manufacturer or gunsmith can not pin mags at 10rds... however it must be permanent and/or not readily restorable to standard capacity of over 10rds. It would be illegal for average Joe to bring in standard capacity and pin himself
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#3]
10 round mags are readily available for around $15.  I have a factory 10 rounder I'd be willing to donate if needed
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 round mags are readily available for around $15.  I have a factory 10 rounder I'd be willing to donate if needed
View Quote
We have been looking and can not seem to find them do you have a link?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/promag-s-and-w-910-915-459-and-5900-magazine-9mm-luger-10-round-steel-blue-708279000461.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/promag-s-and-w-910-915-459-and-5900-magazine-9mm-luger-10-round-steel-blue-708279000461.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn
View Quote
Cool thank you, are the 459 & 469 mags interchangable? I will admit I know nothing about S&W's and even less about these models.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He placed a call to the firearms division and the Sgt. he spoke with stated that there is no method to alter mags to 10 rounds. Is this true? I thought that pinning a mag was acceptable.
View Quote

Like others said, no its not true. Nothing in the statue (see this link) prohibits taking any standard capacity magazine and blocking or pinning it to 10 or fewer rounds. Just have your friend do the pinning outside of CT before bringing them into the state.

Sec. 53-202w. Large capacity magazines. Definitions. Sale, transfer or possession prohibited. Exceptions.

"(1) “Large capacity magazine” means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;"
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Officer is wrong! Dps has even gone so far as to tell smiths and shops that they can not be pinned at ten rds and not to pin any mags. There is nothing in the law that says a manufacturer or gunsmith can not pin mags at 10rds... however it must be permanent and/or not readily restorable to standard capacity of over 10rds. It would be illegal for average Joe to bring in standard capacity and pin himself
View Quote
Pin the mags then bring them in and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pin the mags then bring them in and you are good to go.
View Quote
Or bring in a bag of mag parts and build them into ten rounders?  I believe that is legal as well if the buyer couldn't pin the mags before entering the state.  Not 100% sure though
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cool thank you, are the 459 & 469 mags interchangable? I will admit I know nothing about S&W's and even less about these models.
View Quote
Yes 459 & 469 are the same mag (as well as other S&W 59 style guns)  459 was my 1st handgun back in the early 1900's
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Or bring in a bag of mag parts and build them into ten rounders?  I believe that is legal as well if the buyer couldn't pin the mags before entering the state.  Not 100% sure though
View Quote
Yeah thats one other option as the stupid statute doesn't mention parts for magazines like it does for AW's. Although it wouldn't surprise me if one was stopped in CT with a bag full of magazine parts to assemble full standard capacity (10+ round) magazines that the officer may decide to arrest you and let a bunch of lawyers figure it out at your expense.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah thats one other option as the stupid statute doesn't mention parts for magazines like it does for AW's. Although it wouldn't surprise me if one was stopped in CT with a bag full of magazine parts to assemble full standard capacity (10+ round) magazines that the officer may decide to arrest you and let a bunch of lawyers figure it out at your expense.
View Quote
That's what I figured. With so much grey area it's difficult to figure out what's GTG and what's not with this crap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes 459 & 469 are the same mag (as well as other S&W 59 style guns)  459 was my 1st handgun back in the early 1900's
View Quote
Cavgunner used a 1911 back in the early 1900's, I believe he felt the 1911 to be superior to the 459 at that period in history. Cav also loves the grease gun ...... I am one of Cav's unpaid biographers
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's what I figured. With so much grey area it's difficult to figure out what's GTG and what's not with this crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parts is parts=legal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top