Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 8:17:00 AM EDT
Am I missing something?  I'd like to find some 10 and 20 round Magpul Pmags setup for the 762 x 39 ammo that I can leave up in New Hampshire.  I can not locate such a beast.  Anyone know why??  

TIA

Rome
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]
They don't exist.  

The CProducts Defense mags work well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I've got a handful of them in 10 rounds.  They do work and work well.  The 762x39 platform was always a headache until the mag situation was resolved.  Thanksfully it is.  I was just trying to streamline my mag collection to mostly pmags.  They always work.  I'm surprised that pmag doesn't make 'em but there's probably not a big call for that caliber in the AR although I love mine.

Thx

Rome
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I've got a handful of them in 10 rounds.  They do work and work well.  The 762x39 platform was always a headache until the mag situation was resolved.  Thanksfully it is.  I was just trying to streamline my mag collection to mostly pmags.  They always work.  I'm surprised that pmag doesn't make 'em but there's probably not a big call for that caliber in the AR although I love mine.

Thx

Rome
View Quote
Probably don't make x39 mags because they want them to always work. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
They don't make them because Magpul determined they need a thicker wall for larger cases.
The 6.8SPC mags they make for the LWRC Six-8 has thicker walls and a larger machined magwell.
I think something to do with the plastic being too thin on a normal AR-15 size magwell.
As said above, they want them to work
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They don't make them because Magpul determined they need a thicker wall for larger cases.
The 6.8SPC mags they make for the LWRC Six-8 has thicker walls and a larger machined magwell.
I think something to do with the plastic being too thin on a normal AR-15 size magwell.
As said above, they want them to work
View Quote
Cool info AJJ, thanks. That must be why the PRI 6.8 mags are so popular/work, they're metal. Come to think of it I've never seen a 6.8 or x39 plastic mag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually misspoke above.
It is not that they need a thicker wall. The need more volume inside the mag for the larger case.
So that thins out the wall for a standard AR15 magwell.
PRI are popular because they are well made and allow a longer 6.8spc overall cartridge length for reloaders pushing the limit of of the caliber.
Their price is not so well popular
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The steeply tapered case wall on the 7.62x39 always makes figuring a way to get it to feed in an AR mag well an issue.  The geometry is off when you have to straighten out the stack of rounds in the AR straight mag well.  Smaller capacity mags work better for this set up.  Less to overcome
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, we learn more about this every day.  I've got mags from ASC and they work fine.  I guess that's where I'll concentrate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top