Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2017 4:54:43 PM EDT
Several guns stolen from Lebanon home
http://wtnh.com/2017/03/31/several-guns-stolen-from-lebanon-home/

State police were called to a home on Bush Hill Road Thursday evening when the homeowner realized several of his guns were stolen. They say someone forced their way into the home through a basement window while the homeowner was at work.

Officials say two AR-15 rifles, an AK-47 rifle, an MP5 rifle, two 9 mm pistols, and about 2,000 rounds of ammunition were stolen.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like the burglars knew what they were looking for, sucks for the homeowner.
View Quote
This.

That sucks for the home owner, I'm really feeling for him.  I would say we should get the serial numbers and cosmetics of them in case of local verification in the field, but I don't deal drugs in New Haven so I'm sure little would come from that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Before I post the ad I thought you guys might be interested. I am selling two AR-15 rifles, an AK-47 rifle, an MP5 rifle, two 9 mm pistols, and about 2,000 rounds of ammunition.

In all seriousness I worry about this especially when I am gone for a long period of time where intruders can spend as much time as they need to gain access to my guns. Luckily my neighbors keep an eye out.

I really need to double check my insurance amount.

This buy must be sick over this. Especially he lost guns that are hard/expensive to replace.

Is our favorite State's attorney involved in this? If so, maybe the victim would let us publish serial numbers so we can get the word out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Bush rd is out near willimantic and windham. Feel real bad for the guy for sure. That's a lot of money in merchandise right there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Let it be a lesson to all! Video/DVR security is cheap nowadays. You can get a system for less than $200 and really nice stuff if you want to invest as much as 1 good gun. I have a motion system that alerts my cell if motion is tripped in my gun room and live cameras and 2 way audio I can patch into. Easy stuff, look into it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Be interesting to know if we're talking C3 or semi clones?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be interesting to know if we're talking C3 or semi clones?
View Quote
Knowing the media I bet it was a f**king GSG.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bush rd is out near willimantic and windham. Feel real bad for the guy for sure. That's a lot of money in merchandise right there.
View Quote
its close but a pretty quiet area.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like the burglars knew what they were looking for, sucks for the homeowner.
View Quote
Yeah if the guns were the only thing stolen then its pretty good odds that its someone the home owner knows. It absolutely sucks for the home owner, what makes it worse is you know the police are going over their guns and magazines with a fine tooth comb to ensure none are the evil bad guns/magazines the state bans to the little people.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Broke into the safe?  That's a serious burglar
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably knew the guy and his schedule and targeted him. Sucks for the homeowner.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let it be a lesson to all! Video/DVR security is cheap nowadays. You can get a system for less than $200 and really nice stuff if you want to invest as much as 1 good gun. I have a motion system that alerts my cell if motion is tripped in my gun room and live cameras and 2 way audio I can patch into. Easy stuff, look into it!
View Quote
Can you give an example?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can you give an example?
View Quote
Here's one that is $75 (click me). It has day and night capability and takes pictures when motion is activated. You can have those sent to your email and alert your cell phone. Once alerted you can log in and see video with sound, pan/tilt, talk back etc...

Or for $800 you can get a multi camera system with DVR etc. Skies the limit if you want to spend money, but you can accomplish what I described above for $100.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably knew the guy and his schedule and targeted him. Sucks for the homeowner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember hearing about people being followed home from gunshops and shooting ranges and having their houses cased then robbed later on urban myth, you decide. Too much information, pictures of arsenals and ammunition out there with FB, Twitter etc....
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you using Arlo too?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Are you using Arlo too?
View Quote
No not Arlo, but that looks very similar. A little more money, but nicer features. Free cloud storage and 7 days of DVR is nice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
as much as I hate locks and shit I will be installing something like this in my new house.  simple cameras and wifi with remote viewing is very cheap these days and I wile be looking into this soon.

while we are on the topic anyone here have system they use and like?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The main problem with all of these low cost camera systems is they typically rely on your broadband connection. All a thief has to do is cut the cable/phone line and the surveillance system won't be able to respond to the owner. At best (depending on the surveillance system) one would then hope for is the camera's DVR recording the criminals in the act and hope they don't see and destroy the camera/dvr.

Put in a low cost four camera DVR system (Amcrest) for a family member a while back. Cameras are fixed but other then that it works well for their needs. Just keep in mind that remote viewing is dependent on the speed/capabilities of one's broadband connection.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The main problem with all of these low cost camera systems is they typically rely on your broadband connection. All a thief has to do is cut the cable/phone line and the surveillance system won't be able to respond to the owner. At best (depending on the surveillance system) one would then hope for is the camera's DVR recording the criminals in the act and hope they don't see and destroy the camera/dvr.

Put in a low cost four camera DVR system (Amcrest) for a family member a while back. Cameras are fixed but other then that it works well for their needs. Just keep in mind that remote viewing is dependent on the speed/capabilities of one's broadband connection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if someone is breaking into my house and they've planned enough ahead to cut my internet connection then I'm fucked at that point and they'll get in no matter what.  or even worse come in when I'm home.

the more important thing at that point would be to hide the DVR system inside the house so they couldn't steal it, if they take the hard drive then the video system would be worthless.  do some upload to a cloud of some type or they all save to a hard drive, also what happens when the power goes out?  battery back up?

I'm not looking for a $50 system and I also don't want a $5,000 system, just something that is decent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can you give an example?
View Quote
Costco has one, too.  It's wifi so when something comes into range, it alerts you via your cell phone.  It is really amazing technology.  So, you can go to Costco and check it out.  Truthfully, I'm thinking more and more of having something like that in a critical spot in my home even though I, too, have neighbors that watch out for us and breaking into my house would not be an easy or quiet process.  It would draw a lot of attention.  Really cheap insurance to be sure.     This one below has amazing features including "talk back".  You can actually have a conversation with whomever is in the camera's range!  Amazing for just $99 and it is at the warehouse.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-Smartcam-1080p-Wi-Fi-IP-Monitoring-Camera.product.100341159.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the more important thing at that point would be to hide the DVR system inside the house so they couldn't steal it, if they take the hard drive then the video system would be worthless.  do some upload to a cloud of some type or they all save to a hard drive, also what happens when the power goes out?  battery back up?
View Quote
Correct. If you are using a DVR + camera system then you can usually hide the DVR somewhere to make it more difficult for a thief to either steal or destroy. And most DVR systems have the capability to upload video to a local/remote storage location (often using FTP). They may also send emails based on motion detection, power loss or other system events. Like any electronic device one could put the security system on battery backup. The lower cost single camera units like was linked above however do not by default record to a DVR instead they upload the content to the cloud or to a SD/micro SD card that is loaded into the camera itself. Because the camera would be pointed at the location you want to record it could potentially be visible to the more observant thief.

If one is serious about it they'll have to consider how much money they want to throw at the problem and how they want to deal with potential issues like power loss or internet interruptions.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#23]
The more remote you live, the better the system should be.  I live less than 2 miles from our local PD and if I were alerted to movement in my home that I could not identify, a quick 911 would have the police there in minutes.  No way anyone could get away in time.  Lebanon is really remote.  My son-in-law's parents have a few acres there and we shoot there all the time.  It's a blast especially on holidays when it's fun to get together and shoot outside.  If anyone hit their place, no one would know for hours as they work a number of towns over.  They would do well to have a DVR system.

Rome
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Put it two of the cheap systems. If a thief steals the DVR your backup system will,get him.

Put cameras at a level and location to capture faces. Or the top of their head. Have multiple cameras to cover an area at different angles.

5mp systems can be had for under $600 now with 8 cameras.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#25]
CT police are trying to have people sign up in their towns who have cameras setup so if a incident happened in the area cops can come by and ask for your video. To me what's to stop anyone from hacking these cameras and watching you parade around in your birthday suit On a serious note though, if you buy a camera security system don't skimp out on the mega pixels !!!! Hate when you can't even tell what you are looking at because you bought a 3MP camera
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
CT police are trying to have people sign up in their towns who have cameras setup so if a incident happened in the area cops can come by and ask for your video. To me what's to stop anyone from hacking these cameras and watching you parade around in your birthday suit On a serious note though, if you buy a camera security system don't skimp out on the mega pixels !!!! Hate when you can't even tell what you are looking at because you bought a 3MP camera
View Quote
if you use a wifi camera system they can, I would be using ones with wires so I don't have to deal with batteries in the cameras
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone with an iPad or extra iPhone laying around should look at the app, "Presence". It turns most any phone/camera/computer into a motion sensing camera with recording capabilities. If motion is sensed, you can set it to alert other devices like your primary phone.

You can also watch the feed from other devices remotely, and do stuff like turn on the light, or speak through the phone that is acting as a camera. I have an old phone in my safe. If someone opens my safe it alerts me (because the motion is sensed) and starts recording immediately. I can click on the alert or open the app and watch whats going on in real time.

I also use it for random other stuff, like keeping an eye on my dog when Im not home. Or, I set one up facing my wood stove. My wood stove has a large glass face, so I can see what its doing without having to go down there and check on it. Its nice at night when Im laying in bed and just stuffed it full. No running up and down the stairs four times waiting to turn it down when it gets to the proper burn. Instead, look at it on the phone and wait, then go down once when its ready.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone with an iPad or extra iPhone laying around should look at the app, "Presence". It turns most any phone/camera/computer into a motion sensing camera with recording capabilities. If motion is sensed, you can set it to alert other devices like your primary phone.

You can also watch the feed from other devices remotely, and do stuff like turn on the light, or speak through the phone that is acting as a camera. I have an old phone in my safe. If someone opens my safe it alerts me (because the motion is sensed) and starts recording immediately. I can click on the alert or open the app and watch whats going on in real time.

I also use it for random other stuff, like keeping an eye on my dog when Im not home. Or, I set one up facing my wood stove. My wood stove has a large glass face, so I can see what its doing without having to go down there and check on it. Its nice at night when Im laying in bed and just stuffed it full. No running up and down the stairs four times waiting to turn it down when it gets to the proper burn. Instead, look at it on the phone and wait, then go down once when its ready.
View Quote
I like this-
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone with an iPad or extra iPhone laying around should look at the app, "Presence". It turns most any phone/camera/computer into a motion sensing camera with recording capabilities.
View Quote
Yep there are a number of ways to cobble together a video surveillance system either from old cell phones or from stuff laying around or available for low cost. For Android see the following for ideas:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-your-old-phone-into-a-home-security-camera/
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-smartphone-webcam-computer/

People have used Raspberry PI and similar devices as an IP camera setup. If one has a spare USB camera laying around they could use that and an older PC to cobble together a system.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-security-camera/
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-a-raspberry-pi-security-camera-1321441
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Cloud-IP-Camera-with-POE/

For PC's:
http://blueirissoftware.com/
http://www.ispyconnect.com/

And the external USB camera like those from Logitec may even come with software with limited motion detection and recording capability.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
wow, I really like that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't you know you just have to say "enhance" to the computer and it'll do that?!?!? I see it on Cop Dramas all the time!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I cut and paste from a post on CCDL's facebook.  Not sure to what paper Becky Avens is writing to.

To the editor,

I am writing to express my frustration with an article written about a recent event which affected myself and my husband.

On Thursday March 30th my husband and myself were victims of a burglary. The thief/thieves entered our home through a basement window and accessed the part of our home where our firearms were stored safely in accordance with state law. The article in question was printed in the The Chronicle and Norwich Bulletin, as well as reported on various radio and television news networks. After this traumatic experience I am experiencing great trouble sleeping at night, I am troubled even further by the fact that a blueprint of the best way to break into our home was published by your organization for the whole world to see. The only information withheld by your organization in regards to protecting our identity, safety, and direct location was the exact house number of our residence. However, in today’s world anyone with access to the internet can find that in a matter of seconds. I feel that by releasing this information the state police and your media outlet have further endangered not only myself and my husband’s property but also our personal safety and dignity.

Also the mention of Adam Lanza, a criminal with serious mental health issues and a deranged moral compass in the same article as my husband was absurd. I feel as if there is a propensity among media outlets to constantly remind us any time an “assault weapon” is mentioned in the news of Adam Lanza and the heinous crime he committed with a stolen AR15 of which he was not legally permitted to own. I do not see how this constant mention of Adam Lanza need consistently be used to reinforce public fear of law abiding citizens who continue to own these firearms and use them legally every day. Any stolen firearm is just as dangerous as an AR15, the common deer hunting rifle is more powerful ballistically than an AR15 or AK47 and will kill just as easily. So why mention it? It is as if these media outlets are always trying to compare my husband, myself, and the tens of thousands of other legal “assault weapon” owners who have never committed any crime in this state to the murderer Adam Lanza.

Lastly, we were given no notification that the article mentioning my husband’s name was to be published. Our input or permission to publicly release our personal information was not asked for in any manner by the media. I find this to be a grievous invasion of our personal privacy by the media at a time where I already feel personally invaded by the fact that a criminal has destroyed any sense of security I previously had harbored in my own home. It would have been nice after such an incident to have been informed that our names and details about the incident would be published in such detail, and it would have been nice to be able to voice our experience instead of being mentioned in such a manner that nearly equates us to the level of moral standing as the person or persons who have actually committed the crime.

I am a woman who takes responsibility for my own personal safety and security by choosing to have the means to defend myself and my new family, if that means owning the most deadly “assault weapons” on the planet then I will do it for my family. There are more women like me and our numbers increase every day. We are not criminals, we are responsible mothers, wives, and daughters.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Becky Avens
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top