Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 7:39:40 PM EDT
I will my placing my 5906 on Gun Broker, I also am combing three extra high capacity magazines to sweeten the sale. Question is how to handle the sale, transfer, shipping, and confirmation with the state that I know longer have the magazines or the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Once it's gone why not call them and tell them you sold it out of state.

FDM
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You are under no obligation to inform the state, sell them and move on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
From a technical standpoint,  you can ship directly to your buyer's FFL.  Be sure to get a hard copy of his license via fax or email BEFORE mailing overnight to him and ONLY to the address on his license, period.  Another option would be to go to your local FFL and had him ship it for you but I don't think that's necessary as long as you can validate the buyer's FFL is legit.

One thing mentioned here, however, always bothered me and that's alerting the State that you got rid of a firearm and want it removed from your list.  Guys, do you really think that a phone call is all they want from you in that case?  If you deal with a local FFL I guess they might file paperwork that would eventually remove a gun from your listed inventory the state has, even though it's a fractured list full of inconsistencies just because of the way it was assembled.  As far as I'm concerned, the more screwed up it is the better.  So what the state still thinks you own it.  You have paperwork to prove otherwise and you don't have any legal obligation to tell them otherwise.  Remember.....We don't have a "registration" per se and the list they have is cobbled together based on all kinds of dated info that was illegally kept.  

So, I'd just file it away.  Should a problem occur in the future just whip out your receipts from the FFL and your buyer and that'll be that.  
One more thing, too.  You're concerned about removing a firearms from your list.  The tens of thousands of us who now have or had C&R licenses for years have had literally hundreds of firearms move in and out of our collections over the years.  The State doesn't have a clue about them because we were only required to keep a list of them in our "bound book" which I did and which I keep in my safe in case anything from there comes up in the future, too.  Still, the state has no reason to know any of this.  Frankly, they should NOT EVEN HAVE THE LIST in the first place but we won't go there.

Just my 2 cents.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a technical standpoint,  you can ship directly to your buyer's FFL.  Be sure to get a hard copy of his license via fax or email BEFORE mailing overnight to him and ONLY to the address on his license, period.  Another option would be to go to your local FFL and had him ship it for you but I don't think that's necessary as long as you can validate the buyer's FFL is legit.

One thing mentioned here, however, always bothered me and that's alerting the State that you got rid of a firearm and want it removed from your list.  Guys, do you really think that a phone call is all they want from you in that case?  If you deal with a local FFL I guess they might file paperwork that would eventually remove a gun from your listed inventory the state has, even though it's a fractured list full of inconsistencies just because of the way it was assembled.  As far as I'm concerned, the more screwed up it is the better.  So what the state still thinks you own it.  You have paperwork to prove otherwise and you don't have any legal obligation to tell them otherwise.  Remember.....We don't have a "registration" per se and the list they have is cobbled together based on all kinds of dated info that was illegally kept.  

So, I'd just file it away.  Should a problem occur in the future just whip out your receipts from the FFL and your buyer and that'll be that.  
One more thing, too.  You're concerned about removing a firearms from your list.  The tens of thousands of us who now have or had C&R licenses for years have had literally hundreds of firearms move in and out of our collections over the years.  The State doesn't have a clue about them because we were only required to keep a list of them in our "bound book" which I did and which I keep in my safe in case anything from there comes up in the future, too.  Still, the state has no reason to know any of this.  Frankly, they should NOT EVEN HAVE THE LIST in the first place but we won't go there.

Just my 2 cents.

Rome
View Quote
I agree with this position and practice- the more in accurate the better
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Just sell it and move on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Cabinetman brings up a good point. We have become desensitized to all these restrictions.

I have a pre ban lower that a friend in MA wants to buy. His friend owns an FFL and will do the transfer but I am trying to figure out how to get it out of my name. I bought this not that long ago so there is a record of it.

Maybe I should just sell it and not get too concerned about "getting it out of my name"?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cabinetman brings up a good point. We have become desensitized to all these restrictions.

I have a pre ban lower that a friend in MA wants to buy. His friend owns an FFL and will do the transfer but I am trying to figure out how to get it out of my name. I bought this not that long ago so there is a record of it.

Maybe I should just sell it and not get too concerned about "getting it out of my name"?
View Quote
Does nobody save their dps-3 forms? Signature of the buyer and seller/ confirmation # documenting the transaction. I really think you guys are over thinking this. As for mags, sell them and move on, the declaration forms are for mags IN YOUR POSSESSION, not for mags you no longer own.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does nobody save their dps-3 forms? Signature of the buyer and seller/ confirmation # documenting the transaction. I really think you guys are over thinking this. As for mags, sell them and move on, the declaration forms are for mags IN YOUR POSSESSION, not for mags you no longer own.
View Quote
I scan all DPS-3C forms and save them electronically and as a paper hard copy.

I am referring to a pre ban gun I bought a couple years ago and now am selling to someone in MA. I don't fill out any forms to send to an FFL out of state.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
unless you murder someone or for some other reason have DPS and State PD searching your house to take all your firearms this won't matter.  I know people who have been in CT for decades, then in 2013 when the shit show was going on asked DPS for a print out of all the guns on their permit numbers....  they all had multiple guns they either sold/traded to FFLs in the state or never even bought.  So the DPS system is fucked anyway, don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#10]
As stated no obligation to inform the state.

Here lies a problem ,however, if you go to Middletown provide your ID the state will give you a print off of every rifle and pistol you ever purchased from an ffl in CT.

This list does not reflect what was sold or what was purchased ftf before new laws.

Point is, the state assumes you still own these and have them in your possession. If this is an issue or not I cannot say.

Although there is no requirement, I would safe keep a copy of the ffl you Sent the rifle and or pistol to
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Connecticut, Malloy and his minions in the legislature have a wet dream about enacting a full registration of all firearms here in CT.  Frankly, I don't understand why they haven't put one forth already while they still have the control of both house and senate. They've already required registration on existing AR15s and made it near impossible to own any new ARs, especially in .308. They've curtailed our use of 10+ mags for the most part. Making us register everything we own would be a logical next step.  They would most probably look toward a NY style registration where every gun we own would be on the back of our permit like in NY. Should the current party retain power through the next election rest assured that that'll be next on their agenda, imho.  With that, they would require us to resolve any discrepancies between their list and what we currently are listing as owning.  From there forward, every addition or deletion will be part of a new division in the CSP which will warrant full-time employees with benefits.  I heard this morning that in 2015, there were 17,000 applications for permits.  Last year they saw 33,000 applications for permits.  There is money to be extracted from that huge block of 2nd amendment supporters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top