Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 8:40:02 AM EDT
Today is March 11th and back in 1888, the largest, ever known N'oreaster hit NY and north with 5' of snow, killing 400 people.  The storm that developed was not unlike the setup we're looking at on Tuesday except there was more moisture with the 1888 storm.  Without knowing what they were in for, hardy New Englanders went about their business and headed out for work on the trains as the storm ramped up.  Whole trains were swallowed up and could not keep up with the drifts which were mountainous.

So, let's hope we never experience a storm like that here ever again.  

Rome
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I love this stuff. It's getting to the point of the season that I could do without it, but I'd love if we got hit with 6 or these every year.

Or

If it just always continuously snowed out.

Mmmmmmmm snow
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love this stuff. It's getting to the point of the season that I could do without it, but I'd love if we got hit with 6 or these every year.

Or

If it just always continuously snowed out.Mmmmmmmm snow
View Quote

If it is going to cold then it needs to snow. Not rain, sleet, some snow and back to rain. Removing snow it not bad and I actually kind of enjoy it. My son used to help but he is in the Navy now so I do it myself. Just me, my snowblower and a shovel. I do not want my wife to help.

I grew up in Central NY. It usually snowed by Halloween and it typically stayed until the middle/end of March. Our snow removal equipment got a workout each winter. We had backup equipment too.

In Central NY it seemed to snow almost everyday. Some days it was just a few flakes to let you know it was winter. The weather report would not even mention anything about 3" or less. 6" got a "flurries" report. A foot or more got a weather report but never full on panic like they do here in CT.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If it is going to cold then it needs to snow. Not rain, sleet, some snow and back to rain. Removing snow it not bad and I actually kind of enjoy it. My son used to help but he is in the Navy now so I do it myself. Just me, my snowblower and a shovel. I do not want my wife to help.

I grew up in Central NY. It usually snowed by Halloween and it typically stayed until the middle/end of March. Our snow removal equipment got a workout each winter. We had backup equipment too.

In Central NY it seemed to snow almost everyday. Some days it was just a few flakes to let you know it was winter. The weather report would not even mention anything about 3" or less. 6" got a "flurries" report. A foot or more got a weather report but never full on panic like they do here in CT.
View Quote

Yea it's getting out of hand. I couldn't believe they closed schools yesterday lol. I understand the logic but it still just seems ridiculous to me.

I spent two winters working in Williamstown MA (farthest northwest corner) and it was like being in a snow globe. There were always flurries, it was awesome, I loved it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That sounds like one hell of a snow storm.  

I went to college in New Hampshire and we'd get 2' of snow a handful of times every winter.  

I enjoyed it more back then.  The older I get, the less I like it, but I do agree with Edge.  If it's winter I want snow and not rain.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't imagine snow this deep and having to shovel it over your head.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Until the state stops using their god damn salt and replaces it with sand and proper driving lesson requirements I want rain instead of snow/ice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to be pounded with snow, you are very much welcome to take a trip, or move, to Japan.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Totally spot on.
I grew up in N.Syracuse, lived right next to PennCan Mall.
Snow every damn day  But you really got used to it. Now in CT, its pussyville . get 1" and the shitters are crashing everywhere. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Totally spot on.
I grew up in N.Syracuse, lived right next to PennCan Mall.
Snow every damn day  But you really got used to it. Now in CT, its pussyville . get 1" and the shitters are crashing everywhere. 
View Quote

Grew up in Homer, right next to Cortland, and we hung out at the PennCan mall. That mall is now owned by Roger Burdick and he has his dealerships there. He calls it "Driver Village". After the Carousel mall opened PannCan and the area around it went to shit. Now that area is being revived because of Roger's dealerships. I believe 14 franchises are in that old mall. The Price Club is a used car center and the old cinemas is his brother's dealerships.

I would move back to the Cortland area in a heartbeat if the state was not as fucked up as it is. When I grew up there it was a great state, not anymore. CT used to be great too.

We would literally have to clean the driveway 3 times a day because of drifting. Once before school so Dad and Mom could get to work. After school so Mom could get in the garage and again at 5pm so Dad could get in.

In 4 years of High School we had one weather related closing. it was for a flood not even snow related. We got like a shit ton of rain. The roads were closed and there was 3 feet of water in the streets of the city. I was in high school and made triple time shoveling mud out of the Tops grocery store where I worked. The next town downriver had it worse.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Met a family who was looking for a home in the Buffalo area.  They loved the house and were prepared to buy it.  It was the Summer.  The one question the new owner had for the seller was 'why did you put a door on the end of the 2nd floor hallway?  Was it supposed to go to a deck that wasn't ever finished?"   The seller simply said, no, it was there so they could get out of the house during the mid-winter blizzards.   Sale went South. I would have lied and said we ran out of money for the deck!
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Met a family who was looking for a home in the Buffalo area.  They loved the house and were prepared to buy it.  It was the Summer.  The one question the new owner had for the seller was 'why did you put a door on the end of the 2nd floor hallway?  Was it supposed to go to a deck that wasn't ever finished?"   The seller simply said, no, it was there so they could get out of the house during the mid-winter blizzards.   Sale went South. I would have lied and said we ran out of money for the deck!
View Quote

Buffalo actually has less annual snowfall than where I grew up just south of Syracuse. The issue with Buffalo is when they get a storm, they get clobbered. They get all their annual snow some years in one or two ginormous storms. The lake effect crushes them. Rochester can get hit hard too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Just heard the forecast on three networks:  12-18 and maybe 20 in Northern areas of CT.  Looks like a lot of people working from home on Tuesday.  Should be a fun day, too!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Bring the snow, bitches!

Weather.gov > New York, NY > Winter Weather
Snow Accumulation Potential:
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just heard the forecast on three networks:  12-18 and maybe 20 in Northern areas of CT.  Looks like a lot of people working from home on Tuesday.  Should be a fun day, too!
View Quote

I will be working from home for sure. That is the beauty of my job. Make my own hours and schedule. My wife has to be at the Hospital no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
This could be a big storm, I'm ready for it and the kids will love it. I will most likely have to go to work unless I wake up to a foot and a half of snow Tuesday morning.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This could be a big storm, I'm ready for it and the kids will love it. I will most likely have to go to work unless I wake up to a foot and a half of snow Tuesday morning.
View Quote

It's looking like it may be just that.
Fox61 is saying 12-18" w/ 2-3"/hr at the heaviest times
Weatherunderground is saying 8-12" and lasting almost 24hrs
Weather.gov has 13-21" from Monday night thru Wednesday
Accuweather is saying 7-13"

Everybody has 12" in there somewhere

Fill your gas cans
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will be working from home for sure. That is the beauty of my job. Make my own hours and schedule. My wife has to be at the Hospital no matter what.
View Quote

JMH?

I've got the pickup up if either of you needs to get around. I think I remember you saying you guys have a four wheel vehicle but incase not, I've got it if you need it.

ETA: Its too early to call. All forecasts should say 6-24" because that's as accurate as any of their guesses right now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If anyone needs anything for the upcoming store, definitely go today.  I know we have talked about this before and that most here could live a week or two on what they have, as it should be, but if you need things like prescriptions, gas or whatnot take advantage and avoid the last moment crowd.

My survival kit is all set. Single malt scotch, mini egg rolls and GS cookies. I shall survive!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

JMH?

I've got the pickup up if either of you needs to get around. I think I remember you saying you guys have a four wheel vehicle but incase not, I've got it if you need it.

ETA: Its too early to call. All forecasts should say 6-24" because that's as accurate as any of their guesses right now.
View Quote

Yes, JMH.

I do not have 4WD vehicle this winter. None were available when I needed a replacement car. We will be fine and I thank you for the offer.

Usually if it snows I get up extra early and take her to work then go back and pick her up. This way she does not have to clean her car off and can jump in a nice warm car.

I typically prepare for a storm by not worrying about it. My snow removal equipment is always in good repair. PM on my equipment is done in the off season. I service lawn equipment in the winter and snow equipment in the summer. Generator always has 30 gallons of fuel on stand by. We have enough food in the basement, fridge, freezer and cupboards to last a long time if we needed to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
All I need to do is get milk of the kid and beer for me,  and put the jeep in sport mode.  So much fun with no driver aids
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My survival kit is all set. Single malt scotch, mini egg rolls and GS cookies. I shall survive!
View Quote

I don't need cookies.  I'm gonna get me a girl scout to keep me warm.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Grew up in Homer, right next to Cortland, and we hung out at the PennCan mall. That mall is now owned by Roger Burdick and he has his dealerships there. He calls it "Driver Village". After the Carousel mall opened PannCan and the area around it went to shit. Now that area is being revived because of Roger's dealerships. I believe 14 franchises are in that old mall. The Price Club is a used car center and the old cinemas is his brother's dealerships.

I would move back to the Cortland area in a heartbeat if the state was not as fucked up as it is. When I grew up there it was a great state, not anymore. CT used to be great too.

We would literally have to clean the driveway 3 times a day because of drifting. Once before school so Dad and Mom could get to work. After school so Mom could get in the garage and again at 5pm so Dad could get in.

In 4 years of High School we had one weather related closing. it was for a flood not even snow related. We got like a shit ton of rain. The roads were closed and there was 3 feet of water in the streets of the city. I was in high school and made triple time shoveling mud out of the Tops grocery store where I worked. The next town downriver had it worse.
View Quote
Crappy pic, but the white house in the upper left corner was mine. 

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like this one may actually be a little something. I filled up the truck and gas cans today. I will just work from home on Tuesday and clear the driveway a few times throughout the day to get out of the house. Wife said she needs to hit the store for a few things but nothing readily needed. Good luck to everyone. If anyone in the Lebanon area of the state has an issue let me know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Crappy pic, but the white house in the upper left corner was mine. 

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu50/2001ws6/Outside/IMG_1388_zpsssbmhlwh.jpg
View Quote

Where did you find the old aerial shot?

You house is a shopping plaza now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where did you find the old aerial shot?

You house is a shopping plaza now.
View Quote
Eagan Real Estate I believe took the picture and gave it to my father. They bought my Grandmothers house and then ours. They knocked hers down and ours a year or two later.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Zeke and I went on a few hour hike at about 9, just got home. It was nice when we left, 3-4" and mildly windy. It is blizzardly now, extremely gusty, anywhere between 8-12", hard to tell because everything is so windblown. Visibility would be 100 yards if there happened to be no wind, and as short as 10' while in big gusts.

All joking and macho-ness aside. I would avoid being on the road at all costs in the Tolland area for now. It's bad out and it takes a lot for me to say that.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Its not terrible in the Windsor area right now. About 10" but the wind and snow have picked up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
At least 20" on my deck, right now, and I can't seem to find where I left my driveway

Wind has been pretty bad since about 9:30
I've seen 1 car go by, not counting the plow.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Snowpacalypse breakfast of champions.

About to call work and let them know I will not be on time for my 1345-2145 overtime shift today.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Fucking pure rain right now. This is going to be some gross heavy stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Raining in Manchester. I just got home from work, Windsor has the worst roads by far. 291 was clear except for the exit/entrance ramps and Manchester roads are good. I would not be out there without 4wd but it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I want rain.  Lots and lots of rain.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Hard to tell but the dog is pulling the kid
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Yea the transfer to sleet and then full on rain made for a  miserable afternoon clean up. Sure wish it stayed as all snow. Driveway this morning was a sheet of ice and I had to chisel my way into the truck. Hope the sun is strong enough to get some melt today cause it's supposed to be cold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top