Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 9:38:10 AM EDT
Quick question for you guys.

I am looking to do a 10/22 build. Rather than buy a new, off-the-shelf 10/22, I was looking for an older pre-ban receiver or rifle. This way I can thread the barrel if the HPA ever goes through.

But....

I got to thinking. If I have a post-ban, brand new 10/22, can I integrally suppress it without issue? Technically, the barrel isn't threaded for a suppressor.

So my thought is, if I buy a new 10/22, I would be okay to integrally suppress it should the HPA go through.

Am I wrong? Or am I reading into it correctly?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I just had my 10/22 threaded by JoJos, as well as a 22lr Savage MKIV.

I've got a Griffin Checkmate pending I want to use on both of them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You can thread a rifle no problem. You can't thread a handgun barrel if the gun was made after 1994 unless you owned it prior to the law change.

Integrally suppressed guns are good to go as is the Freedom Shoppe's non-threaded removable suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No need to wait (forever) for the HPA. You can integrally suppress it NOW.

Here's my 30cal, integral rifle project I should be starting, shortly:

And here's a 45cal, Mauser, integral suppressor, I finished a few years back
Youtube Vid
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The only reason you would want to buy an expensive preban is if you wanted to do it all, a pistol grip, calaspsible stock and thread her for suppression I'm drooling over the new threaded bull barrel takedown 10/22 that Ruger came out with !!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason you would want to buy an expensive preban is if you wanted to do it all, a pistol grip, calaspsible stock and thread her for suppression I'm drooling over the new threaded bull barrel takedown 10/22 that Ruger came out with !!!!
View Quote

I had a takedown. I really wanted to like it. It could not hit the broadside of a barn. I tried all the online "fixes" and "tweaks". It would be near impossible to an 8" paper plate at 50 yards consistently.

I moved on.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had a takedown. I really wanted to like it. It could not hit the broadside of a barn. I tried all the online "fixes" and "tweaks". It would be near impossible to an 8" paper plate at 50 yards consistently.

I moved on.
View Quote
wow.  Either I'm super lucky or you got a lemon.  I have the exact opposite experience with mine.

Holds zero great.  Been together and apart countless times.  I put tech sights on it sighted it in for 50yds and it stayed zeroed for 3years till I put a threaded barrel on it this fall.
I haven't rezeroed since.  

I killed many squirrels and mellow cream pumpkins with it.  

Only other things I added to the rifle was a BX trigger and a sling.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wow.  Either I'm super lucky or you got a lemon.  I have the exact opposite experience with mine.

Holds zero great.  Been together and apart countless times.  I put tech sights on it sighted it in for 50yds and it stayed zeroed for 3years till I put a threaded barrel on it this fall.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I moved on.

Same here, my SS takedown is a tack driver !!! I just smoothed out the bolt and inside the receiver and did the bolt mod
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I moved on.
View Quote

Interesting.

My Ruger 10/22 Takedown is my favorite rifle that I own. It's absolutely precision accurate, every time. And after I got my new can for it, it's also the quietest thing possible, aside from shooting a spitball through a straw.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting.

My Ruger 10/22 Takedown is my favorite rifle that I own. It's absolutely precision accurate, every time. And after I got my new can for it, it's also the quietest thing possible, aside from shooting a spitball through a straw.
View Quote

You should try a bolt action suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Cabelas is selling threaded 10/22's right now, why buy a preban?  Or am I wrong that you could buy a suppressor and thread it onto your store bought 10/22 legally?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cabelas is selling threaded 10/22's right now, why buy a preban?  Or am I wrong that you could buy a suppressor and thread it onto your store bought 10/22 legally?
View Quote

You are right.

He may have plans to do a GSG or some other conversion that would put it into the realm of evil.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are right.

He may have plans to do a GSG or some other conversion that would put it into the realm of evil.
View Quote

Got it, thank you
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting . . .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

. . . is the hardest part.
View Quote

Paying for my toys is the hardest part..... if my wife sells my shit for what I told her I paid for it....
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies.

I am actually doing a light-weight, fast shooting rifle for steel plate shooting.

My plans were to do a hogue over-mold stock (I actually like the way they feel), and keep the stock taper barrel. For sights, I was planning on doing a picatinny rail, and some kind of small red dot (like an RMR style).

Later on down the road, if I wanted to do a can, either do the the SBX barrel (so the length doesn't get too long) or do an integrally suppressed barrel.

The only pistol grip stock I would do is the AGP side-folder, but that would be for more of a compact back-pack build
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anybody? Thoughts?
View Quote

I may be talking out my ass here, but have you looked at Boyd's stocks, too? I have one on my Marlin 795 and that thing is tits!

ETA: pikchur

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my hogue overmold stock but it is the opposite of lightweight. I have an 18" fluted green mountain barrel on it and it's an absolute tack driver and a blast to shoot.

There's a member here with an integrally suppressed barrel and it is pretty incredible from all accounts of people that shot it. That said, I was in the market to suppress .22 and I couldn't personally justify the cost compared to the alternative. .22 Suppressors are CHEAP, like $200 cheap.

If I were you, I'd just order one now while you deliberate. It's gonna be nearly a year before you get it anyways. This way you can shoot suppressed until you d fire whether or not to go integral later.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I may be talking out my ass here, but have you looked at Boyd's stocks, too? I have one on my Marlin 795 and that thing is tits!

ETA: pikchur

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183685/IMG-0411-162095.JPG
View Quote

That looks very great, and comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy this suppressor. You won't find one any cheaper.

If you want a custom made suppressor or integrally suppressed barrel call the Freedom Shoppe.

I have one of their "Mouse" suppressors and it is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That looks very great, and comfortable.
View Quote

I love it. It's a bit heavier than the "stock" stock but what aftermarket stock isn't?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I did a light weight 10/22 plate gun build with a 16" Tac Lite barrel and laminate stock.  Weighs in at 5.3lbs with the heavy ass holosight.  Future plans to carve out the center of the stock to make it a bit lighter...

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you want a custom made suppressor or integrally suppressed barrel call the Freedom Shoppe.

View Quote

I have a freedom shoppe mouse as well.  Love it.  

The maintenance on it is near zero.  I've gone almost 2k rounds and wiped it clean it a oily rag.   I've seen video of them firing 5.56 thru them  and it holds up.  It's stainless and probably heavier than most 22cans.  But it's zero tools, minimal maintenance and near bulletproof.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you have to do that to me?!

Now I need to get that.

This place is bad for my wallet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You should try a bolt action suppressed.
View Quote

Just hold the bolt closed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I still get a bit of noise. I try and try but the bolt still goes back enough to squeeze some gas out.  

My hands are pretty fubar'd so I'm probably just not pressing hard enough. But it's all I got.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

throw rocks- no need for a stamp
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Dunno why you're so excited about the HPA. The way the CT law is written, removing them from the NFA ends up banning them completely in Connecticut, and even if it doesn't, the dummycrats will pass a law banning them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dunno why you're so excited about the HPA. The way the CT law is written, removing them from the NFA ends up banning them completely in Connecticut, and even if it doesn't, the dummycrats will pass a law banning them.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top