Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 11:44:19 PM EDT
Does it matter if a lower is a pre or post ban once its on the ATF's registry as far as the CT ban is concerned? Can one purchase a registered SBR lower no matter what its vintage?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it matters. A Form4, SBR'd lower does not make a post ban lower become a preban. Unless you are of the exempt class, transferring a postban lower would be a no-no.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i have been wondering this myself for a while now, ATF won't approve any Form 1s in CT unless they have an AW cert from DPS, now if you are getting an SBR transferred to you it would be via form 4.  but you can't get an AW cert from DPS on a gun you can't own/poses so.........  would they approve said form 4?

I have been asking a few Mil guys I know to try and test this theory out and see what the ATF say.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it matters. A Form4, SBR'd lower does not make a post ban lower become a preban. Unless you are of the exempt class, transferring a postban lower would be a no-no.
View Quote

Isn't a machine gun weather pre or post sample exempt from the CT ban because of its ATF status? So why isn't an SBR?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
A pre-86 (Class 3) MG would definitely be regarded as a pre-ban (speaking purely of it's date of manuf.)
A post-86 (Dealer Sample) can only be transferred to a Federally Licensed individual/business, LEA, or Government Entity. So, the date wouldn't matter since we can't have them under federal law

I'm not seeing how ATF's classification of an SBR would matter, because of these 2 factors.
What I mean is, I think your comparing Watermelons to Kumquats
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Because once on the ATFs registry its a federally regulated firearm. The same reason you could buy an AK-47 on a form 4 in CT DURING the original weapons ban even tho an AK-47 was banned by name.  Its always trumped CTs evil feature list. Why would a federally regulated SBR not be held to the same standard?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because once on the ATFs registry its a federally regulated firearm. The same reason you could buy an AK-47 on a form 4 in CT DURING the original weapons ban even tho an AK-47 was banned by name.  Its always trumped CTs evil feature list. Why would a federally regulated SBR not be held to the same standard?
View Quote

The answer to your question.... As others have told you, is that you can not bring a post ban sbr rifle into Ct. It must be preban and have an aw cert for the atf to approve the transfer.
The answer is No. Again, the answer is No.
Federal law does not trump Ct's law! Never has and never will!
If ct suddenly said no more mg's .... That would be the end of mg ownership in ct! Ct is allowed to forbid anything it wants....by law!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
During the original ban, you couldn't buy an AK47 unless it was modified.  The same section of the law that banned the named firearms also banned select-fire firearms, which included the AK.  If it was modified to be full-auto only, then it could be purchased.  The list of named makes and models was specified in the law as being semi-auto so MGs would not be included even if the make and model were somehow on the list.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

ummmmmmm for serious?  no you couldn't buy that gun in CT from 93 to 2013.  if that were the case you would have seen people with pre ban Colt lowers they's SBRd.  who is telling you this garbage?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The answer to your question.... As others have told you, is that you can not bring a post ban sbr rifle into Ct. It must be preban and have an aw cert for the atf to approve the transfer.
If ct suddenly said no more mg's .... That would be the end of mg ownership in ct! Ct is allowed to forbid anything it wants....by law!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is the part that I question, for a form 1 the ATF needs AW cert from DPS in the name of the person or trust since they already own said firearm.  but what happens if its a form 4 transfer?  the firearm isn't in their name so they can't get an AW cert from DPS so would the ATF approved form 4s?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's for a Form4, and the state won't give you an AW Cert, just take it off the registry (or sell with >16" bbl, or just receiver).
You'll have to pay the $200 anyway so why does it have to be on a Form4?

And, as the horse gets beaten one more time, it has to be preban or it's a no-go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I meant if you're buying a factory SBR or something not AR/AK type.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I meant if you're buying a factory SBR or something not AR/AK type.
View Quote

Gotcha.
Yeah, I don't see the state issuing an AW Cert for that one.
Maybe they've came across this and have a resolution?
Worth a call to Deidre.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm curious how the ATF would handle a from1 for a sbr 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm curious how the ATF would handle a from1 for a sbr 10/22.
View Quote

need AW cert from DPS, I think because new CT law says that anything under XX" is an AW there for needs a cert.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The length restriction is for centerfire rifles, not rimfire or shotgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

need AW cert from DPS, I think because new CT law says that anything under XX" is an AW there for needs a cert.

The length restriction is for centerfire rifles, not rimfire or shotgun.

that's what I thought.  so one can SBR a brand new 10/22 so long as to not break the feature rules.  however it seems right now that the ATF won't approve them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i have been wondering this myself for a while now, ATF won't approve any Form 1s in CT unless they have an AW cert from DPS, now if you are getting an SBR transferred to you it would be via form 4.  but you can't get an AW cert from DPS on a gun you can't own/poses so.........  would they approve said form 4?

I have been asking a few Mil guys I know to try and test this theory out and see what the ATF say.
View Quote
So how would this work? I have a couple ar lowers I recently purchased and don't plan on getting aw certs until I separate from the mil (many years from now). I'm looking to sbr form 1 at least one but if the atf doesn't approve CT applications without certification what can I do to prove I'm exempt? Transfer on the 4473 has DOD ID number and state permit, would a copy of that work?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

that's what I thought.  so one can SBR a brand new 10/22 so long as to not break the feature rules.  however it seems right now that the ATF won't approve them.
View Quote
I'm in the process of trying to do a non-semi-auto right now, which shouldn't need a COP. I have a feeling that we'll know my next step in about 5.5 months.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
ATF only cares if it will be, or already is, a CT AW.   If it is not clear then document it along with the Form 1.

It only takes tying up $200 for a while to find out.  If it is a no-go you will get a refund.  The problem is it may take you 6 to 10 months to find out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ATF only cares if it will be, or already is, a CT AW.   If it is not clear then document it along with the Form 1.

It only takes tying up $200 for a while to find out.  If it is a no-go you will get a refund.  The problem is it may take you 6 to 10 months to find out.
View Quote
I'm aware. I sent out the form 1 last december.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So how would this work? I have a couple ar lowers I recently purchased and don't plan on getting aw certs until I separate from the mil (many years from now). I'm looking to sbr form 1 at least one but if the atf doesn't approve CT applications without certification what can I do to prove I'm exempt? Transfer on the 4473 has DOD ID number and state permit, would a copy of that work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you just get an AW cert from DPS, they'll let you register anything because you have the golden CAC card ticket.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#22]
On a different but very similar subject; if you need an AW COP for a Preban in order to send in a Form 1 (SBR) - does DPS require you provide any sort of preban documentation also?  Or do you just fill out the AW cert with the appropriate info and let them make the determination?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
On a different but very similar subject; if you need an AW COP for a Preban in order to send in a Form 1 (SBR) - does DPS require you provide any sort of preban documentation also?  Or do you just fill out the AW cert with the appropriate info and let them make the determination?
View Quote
I brought in the list that used to be posted on AR15.com to prove my lower was pre ban. Deidre took that and the AW certificate and came back and said "yes, this matches my list" and gave me the completed document.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
seems to be hit or miss, DPS has a list of pre ban stuff but sometimes they want more documentation from the owner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I brought in the list that used to be posted on AR15.com to prove my lower was pre ban. Deidre took that and the AW certificate and came back and said "yes, this matches my list" and gave me the completed document.
View Quote
That's good to know. I've been thinking about filing for sbr on my pwa and i can't get certs from pwa because the atf had the serial records according to  what's her name at lmt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's good to know. I've been thinking about filing for sbr on my pwa and i can't get certs from pwa because the atf had the serial records according to  what's her name at lmt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a friend of mine has a cert from LMT that he got a while back, not sure how he got it but he did.  if you really need it I can get you a copy and then just change the SN and name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top