Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 2:09:34 PM EDT
I'm sure some of you guys have one... how do you like it?

I'm looking for a bolt action and Mosins seem to come highly recommended. If not, any other recommendations? I'm just looking for something for fun at the range... I love my ARs, etc. but I get bored shooting semi auto pretty quickly
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to get one one day.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several, both Soviet and Finnish, and they are interesting curiosities. Compared to modern bolt actions and many other surplus rifles they leave a lot to be desired, even in refined form (like the Finnish rifles). That said, they are reasonably accurate (and in the case of M39s, better than most other vintage surplus bolt rifles). If you like them, get one. (cheap) Ammo is more expensive and harder to find now than it was in the past- and will likely get more difficult or at least expensive as time goes on- so it is a good idea to stock up. However, make sure you understand the limitations of what your are getting involved with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
they are fun. got one as a stocking stuffer from my wife one year
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Fun rifle! If you need ammo- send me an email
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I was considering one, but I didn't want to have another caliber to buy. I ended up finding a 2A Ishapore Enfield. Another option is the FR7/8. All are in 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was considering one, but I didn't want to have another caliber to buy. I ended up finding a 2A Ishapore Enfield. Another option is the FR7/8. All are in 7.62x51.
View Quote

I love Lee Enfield rifles but I personally dislike the 2A/2A1 Isaphore rifles. Like the .303s, the tolerances are on the loose side BUT I have seen some have problems with smooth extraction with full pressure ammo. Maybe some are better than others. Also, another concern is making sure that you actually have a 10 round magazine. (Some are 12)

I have an FR7  that I have shot (literally) a mag through. It's a surprisingly accurate rifle. For shooting, an FR8 is probably a better and safer (or at least less controversial) choice. Best of all is how cool it looks with the bolo-style CETME bayonet fixed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The Russian rifles  are rough rifles for the most part.   If you find a nice one with a good bore at a good price then have at it.  Buy some cans of surplus ammo.  The nice thing is they are very simple rifles and fun to use.  But if you want excellent accuracy, a stock mosin and that silver tip surplus ammo that is going around won't likely get you there.  If you want something inexpensive to mess with then this could be good.  You have to remember though that the price on these has gone up a lot.  The days of 99$ rifles are long gone.  

The triggers suck n the Russian rifles and the trigger  pull is not repeatable either in my experience.  

If 303 Brit ammo was still cheap an enfield would be much nicer IMO.

Or maybe a yugo Mauser in 8mm?  Aim has some now that look OK.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
they are fun. got one as a stocking stuffer from my wife one year
View Quote

That's a big freaking stocking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch "Enemy At The Gate" movie.  Then run to your nearest gun shop and buy one of those old venerable monstrosities.  It's been estimated that the Russians have issued over 1 billion rounds of 762 x 54R ammo and that it'll be perpetually available in every corner of the globe.  You talk about AKs being resilient firearms, the 91/30 and M44 and all the other iterations are literally indestructible.  That's a feat worth mentioning since they appeared on the battle field only a decade after Colt began mass production of his firearms.  They are pretty much taller than most of us when the bayo is on, too, making it pretty impressive.  I usually have mine next to me when watching that great movie.  The opening scene, if you haven't seen is, is raw conscripts being ferried across the river to almost certain death.  One guy gets ammo and a rifle, the other just ammo because a rifle will be available shortly.

Rome
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Not the item you linked to but linked to that- I really regret not buying a laminated 91/30 when I had the opportunity to. The stocks had some really cool coloration to them, even relative to other laminated Soviet rifles (like SKS or M44)
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The Mosin was usually the favorite to most people who were somewhat newer to shooting. They really got a kick out out of the recoil and fireball. I also feel they were less intimidated about damaging the firearm as most are pretty beat up already. Fun gun for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both a 91/30 and an M44. They are great shooters. They do kick pretty good too.

They are very simple and effective.

Find one that has a decent bore and don't be afraid of a counterbored barrel. Many of them are counterbored to restore their accuracy.

The M44 shoots a pretty good fireball.

You can find surplus ammo still but it is going up in price. It is a bit cheaper than surplus .30-06. Commercial 7.62x54R is available and Cabelas stocks it.

Another good bolt action gun is the Springfield 1903A3. This is a much more refined gun and fun to shoot too. You can buy surplus .30-06 from the CMP for it.

I own all of these rifles if you want to try them let me know. I am in Stafford.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I want a 1903 also but they are over 600 last time I checked
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want a 1903 also but they are over 600 last time I checked
View Quote

They can be almost 1k
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Nothing like the sound of a M44 going off and every head at the range turns to you
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Pretty cool, albeit sacrilegious, build.
Video
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll keep my eyes open for an M44, they seem more of what I'm looking for. Why all the surplus ammo recommendations vs. new manufacture?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll keep my eyes open for an M44, they seem more of what I'm looking for. Why all the surplus ammo recommendations vs. new manufacture?
View Quote

Surplus tins of 440 rds at one time cost 60 to 80 bucks !!!! Those were the good days, now you are looking at double to triple that price Plus with the ban everything from mother Russia is drying up fast !!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top