Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2015 12:08:30 PM EDT
I'm tired of making dump runs with my little hatchback and loading it with lumber, etc. (I've cracked the windshield by loading it with 10+ 4x4x8s a couple times now ) I need a truck again.

So I just went to look at a truck I found on craigslist. The guy selling it had to go to work so his son was there to show it to me. I get there, I'm looking it over, I like what I see (although I get the feeling it's the son's truck, not his), the price is right though, I'm gonna buy it. Before I can say anything, he walks away, come back and tells me his dad just called and someone offered him double what he's asking so he doesn't know if I'm still interested or not now. Fuck that. I laugh and tell him no thanks, I'm good. He apologizes for wasting my time, but I can tell this was planned.

So this leads me to my question: Where the fuck do you buy an older truck these days?

Bargain News: No one seems to use it anymore and you can't see listing dates so most things are sold by the time you call unless you memorize the listings and check daily.

Craigslist: Fuck craigslist. I've had some luck with it, it's just a matter of filtering through the massive amounts of BS which I can do, I'm just really fucking tired of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
All the older trucks I have found are priced ridiculous, 2004 with 140k is like $10k....yup no thanks, I remember when people could give those "gas guzzlers" away.

ETA: Craigslist is not what is once was. I have stopped posting stuff for the most part. It seems most people just want to take a joy ride and waste your time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you looking for?
My buddy will be posting his work truck, shortly.
I'm not 100% on the features, but its a Ford utility body, white.
in New Milford
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you looking for?
My buddy will be posting his work truck, shortly.
I'm not 100% on the features, but its a Ford utility body, white.
in New Milford
View Quote

A truck

Preferably 4x4, but the only thing that I require is it be automatic. The throw on a standard truck is ridiculous.

That's why the bargain news is so hard to search. I used to just remember the listings and know when something was new, but that's with a specific make/model. When I'm open to anything there's too much to remember
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine who once worked at the Bargain News started his own business to compete with them.  His website is Lotboys.com.  Hope this helps you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Dealership or keep your eyes open when driving around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dealership or keep your eyes open when driving around.
View Quote

That's what I'm afraid will be my choice. Get raped by a dealership or get lucky. On the bright side, I do have a decent commute to work through some rural areas where trucks are prevalent
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Generally, I'm against the dealership, too. But there's good deals to be had and for whatever it's worth, there really isn't anywhere better to buy a vehicle, just be patient and don't let anybody push you around or force you in to anything.

I got my MINT 04' F250SD with 48k miles for $18k, in 2006. New tires & brakes, rhino lined bed, not a spec of rust. Still have it.

I walked in the Ford in Enfield (no other customers at the time), stood in the center room and said loudly, "who is the most honest salesman here?" Only one guy didn't raise his hand or say it was him; so he is the one I picked. (I was 21 at the time, no idea what I could get financed for or really what I was doing). We went and test drove a brand new f150 that was stickered for $20k, got back and ran the numbers and I got approved.

I then said to the guy, "Ok, I'll level with you, I don't want this truck at all, but at least we know I can do $20k." When you find me my truck, I'll buy it from you. For about a month after that he'd call me and email me listings from all over the area. One Wednesday he called me and said, "come here after work, I found your truck. I'm so confident I already had it pulled up here from Torrington".

I went there and sure as shit, at first sight I said, "let's go sign".

I wish it still looked like that. And I should have told him to throw in an AW bed transport device.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what your budget is, but I my cousin is selling an f250 for 9k. Not sure of year, but it's in good condition. PM me if you need details.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
If it helps I can run an Experian AutoCheck report for you if you send me the VIN. At least you can see if there is any title issues, totals or accidents in it's history.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it helps I can run an Experian AutoCheck report for you if you send me the VIN. At least you can see if there is any title issues, totals or accidents in it's history.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer, I thought I already posted saying thanks, clearly not

I'm tired of looking and dealing with the pricks on CL, etc. I'm just buying a new truck, fuck it

I'm going mid size so now to make the decision of GM or Toyota
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I would look into an undercoating if your going new. At the least fluid film it. The salt they use now is making rape to the chassis on my truck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I haul around things I probably definitely shouldn't on my Thule basket on top of my dodge neon. I also need a truck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I haul around things I probably definitely shouldn't on my Thule basket on top of my dodge neon. I also need a truck.
View Quote
The Deuce and a half doesn't cut it anymore?

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to have a friend that drove an early 90's Honda Civic hatchback. He welded a trailer hitch onto it and would tow our quads/his motorcycle among other things
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#15]
If looking at new mid-size - GM has the Colorado & Canyon (about the size of an old Dodge Dakota)  I believe it's available with a turbo diesel soon...  I've been looking into one to replace my 5.2L Dakota in a few years
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If looking at new mid-size - GM has the Colorado & Canyon (about the size of an old Dodge Dakota)  I believe it's available with a turbo diesel soon...  I've been looking into one to replace my 5.2L Dakota in a few years
View Quote

I'm pretty decided on a 16 Canyon. Although I'm gonna take a look at the 16 Tacoma if any of the dealers in CT ever get any in
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Haha that's not mine. Owned by a good friend of mine.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I did it. I went and put a deposit on a truck today.

Spent over 7 hours at dealerships getting pissed off (I really fucking hate buying cars). Finally, at the last one, hungry, tired and pissed off I was EXTREMELY blunt, to put it nicely and managed to get a price within $700 of my best offer which was from a dealership in MA and I don't feel like driving all the way up there, plus I get free oil changes for life so it more or less balances out.

Got a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab 4x4 V6. They have to locate it so idk the color yet, but it's gonna either be inferno or quicksand. Such a sexy beast

Now to deal with my 2nd least favorite activity... selling my car... yay craigslist
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Spent over 7 hours at dealerships getting pissed off (I really fucking hate buying cars). Finally, at the last one, hungry, tired and pissed off I was EXTREMELY blunt, to put it nicely and managed to get a price within $700 of my best offer which was from a dealership in MA and I don't feel like driving all the way up there, plus I get free oil changes for life so it more or less balances out.

Got a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab 4x4 V6. They have to locate it so idk the color yet, but it's gonna either be inferno or quicksand. Such a sexy beast

Now to deal with my 2nd least favorite activity... selling my car... yay craigslist
View Quote

Good job!  I came to post get a Tundra, but you did the the next best thing and got a tacoma!  welcome to becoming a toyota fanboy!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice buy.  Good tuck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice, congrats! You better post pics and a review when you get it in. Inquiring minds want to know!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top