Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2015 6:33:10 PM EDT
Just got the dreaded, it's been 5 years notice.  Looks like from looking online they only do it at 2 places now or am I reading this wrong?  Montville and Bridgeport?  Used to be places all over the place.  And what's with the renew by mail is that only for out of state people?  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I did my renewal at Middletown last August.

They do allow mail renewal for residents now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I did mine by mail,  it was easy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Its easy, sorry for being a smart ass, but read the notice they sent, and not what we have to say.  

Just get a passport picture and send it in with the notarized form.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just got the dreaded, it's been 5 years notice.  Looks like from looking online they only do it at 2 places now or am I reading this wrong?  Montville and Bridgeport?  Used to be places all over the place.  And what's with the renew by mail is that only for out of state people?  
View Quote

I renewed last year in Middletown, Montville was closed when my permit was due.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its easy, sorry for being a smart ass, but read the notice they sent, and not what we have to say.  

Just get a passport picture and send it in with the notarized form.
View Quote

I got the mail today, filed it on the kitchen table and headed to work.  Looked online when I got here for a location.  I used to go up to Bantam but I guess that's out and they aren't always exactly clear.  If I can do it by mail then why not.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They actually send your new permit pretty fast, I don't think it took much more than a week to come back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What do they use for a picture when you renew by mail?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure montville is done with that now
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe that you are required to submit passport photos.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, passport photo,  witch can be done at Walgreens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, I was just curious on what they did for a photo I figured you would probably need to submit one. I will be renewing Oct 2016
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Renew by mail and skip out on the high gas prices.
Photo cost pennies at cvs.
In all seriousness, I think it was returned in less than a week.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Renew by mail and skip out on the high gas prices.
Photo cost pennies at cvs.
In all seriousness, I think it was returned in less than a week.
View Quote

It was fast and no lines
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#14]
This is good info, mine is due for renewal Oct 2015 so I should be receiving my renewal notification letter soon.
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read the letter again you can renew by mail. Its easy peasy and takes about two weeks at most. You have a 90 day grace period too from when the permit expires to renew it before it is revoked.

You can renew the permit in person at DESPP HQ in Middletown or at the state police barracks in Bridgeport or Montville. But most that I know simply renew by mail. The state typically sends the renewal notice about a month or two before the permit expires.

Edit to add: If you have a AAA membership you can get the passport sized photos done for free.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Renewed mine last month via mail.  Got my new permit in less than 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
You can also print your own photo for free....

It is 2015 and all....

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in Middletown, it's just easier to go there to renew, and it has never taken more than a few minutes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can also print your own photo for free....

It is 2015 and all....

View Quote

I'm in eastern CT.  In the 1990's I used to renew in Tolland (or maybe it was Vernon).  That place was okay, but the place looked like a fortress (not pleasant).  

Later I renewed in some CT state cop station on (or near) I395.  Was busy and dirty.

2012 was the first time I could renew by mail.  I took my own digital photo of myself, and printed it at CVS.  If I remember correctly the photo cost me about one dollar (give or take a few cents).  However, 2012 was the first time my permit cost more than $35 (THAT pissed me off.... and still does).

Kansas just passed constitutional carry (effective July 1, 2015 I think).  Met a guy with Alaska plates a couple of days ago.  He hates he had to come here for a couple of years for his job.  He loves Alaska.  God, I want out of CT!

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I took my own photo and printed it on my inkjet printer. Had everything back in less than 2 weeks..
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I took my own photo and printed it on my inkjet printer. Had everything back in less than 2 weeks..
View Quote

Wow!  I'm surprised they accepted an inkjet print (maybe they are better than 10+ years ago).  I have old commercial grade b&w lasers (I hated buying ink or refilling cartridges... been there, got the t-shirt many years ago).

When I renew next time I wonder if I  they will accept a stick figure of myself dawn in crayon

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I walked into Bridgeport and was out in literally less than 3 minutes. Just bring your paperwork all ready to go and cash. She'll snap a pic and you're off to the races.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I got mine done this month via mail, door to door in just under 1 week.

30 cents for a digital photo print at CVS and a forever stamp later, I'm happier than trekking to DPS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

30 cents for a digital photo print at CVS and a forever stamp later, I'm happier than trekking to DPS.
View Quote

Line?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Line?

If you go at midnight there's no line and the parking's great!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The constitution is muh permit!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
What did you do just cut it to passport size?  Just curious.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Used a photo program and cropped it to passport size, printed it, cut it out, taped it to the form and sent it on it's way..

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also this for the non-tinfoil wearers:

Auto passport photo crop & sizing tool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#30]
So to renew by mail I see you also have to get the paper notarized.  AAA motor club just happens to do passport photos for free if you're a member and has a notary.  I was in and out in under 10 minutes.  Then I spent almost 30 minutes in the post office trying to mail everything with only one customer in front of me.  A pair of Indians doing something with a passport or some other kind of paper where they needed photos and lots of paperwork and 100 questions, and of course only one person at the counter to help.  A guy that came in behind me actually left after about 15 minutes.  No wonder the USPS is going downhill.  I should have just stuffed it all in a regular envelope and just stuck another stamp on it but I had no stamps.  Who mails anything these days?  All my bills are online.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top