Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
I want a .50 now... just because punching holes in thick steel at 200 makes me smile. And once we move punching holes in thin steel at 1000 will still make me smile.

What's legal in this shithole still in terms of semi's?

I'm assuming any bolt-actions are still GTG?

I'd like to stay under 4k....

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Federal American Eagle 50 BMG Ammo 660 Grain Full Metal Jacket

$29.99/10 per box
$299.90/100 per case
FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED ON CASE

Target sports.$3 a round ouch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always admired .50 cal stuff. Hard to justify the expense for a gun that is made to go 1000+ yards. I think a 300 win mag will happen sooner.

I have considered one of these. Or one of these.

Just one of those guns you want to own, just because.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I got one. It's a blast to shoot! Hahaha

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an old McMillan M-87 single shot bolt action with a original duckbill muzzle brake.  Action comes out of he stock so it fits a Pelican case.  Scope is a real deal Leupold Ultra 20x fixed with mil-dots.  I ordered it over 20 years ago with the single shot action to make it as strong and rigid as possible, just like I did with my Cheytac.  Don't see a need for a box mag for this type of gun when I am just engaging paper or steel.

While the .50 is all the talk at the range and really brings the muzzle energy, most of the ammo you can buy is not the most accurate around.  Military ball, like the 1985 Win 750gr I have is made for the M2HB and is designed to be minute of man, not small groups.  It can get pretty frustrating when two holes touch and then the next shot goes 6 inches low and to the left.  Hornady A-Max is MUCH better but very spendy.  The absolute best was when I loaded IMI 660gr homogenous naval bronze solids over H5010.  I wouldn't even know where to find those now but they were laser beams.  Barnes makes some killer heads now too.  The .50 Caliber Shooters Association is a great place for info and all things. 50.  RCBS' Ammomaster is perfect for reloading .50 because of the space for the cartridge and the leverage you can get.  A pair of dies will fill your hand.  Beware of pulled  .50 heads being sold by some.  Quite a few people were selling black tip AP and realizing they were illegal in some states, were placing them in a media tumbler to take the black off and sell them as ball.  Some were real clean but most when seen in a good light showed the outline.

I had a Barrett M-82A1.  Talk about minute of man.  Reliable and high CDI factor but even most real professional snipers would tell you it is more an anti-material rifle than anti-personel.  Given the same ammo, the McMillan would smoke the Barrett all day.  Heavy fucker too but it helped with recoil.  The latest versions are really improved and lighter but alas....

Outside of ultimate power, the Cheytac and the .338LM kill the .50 in accuracy potential, especially the .408.   They shoot much flatter and the .408 stays supersonic longer.  All three are WAY too much gun for CT.  I have a very good friend in upstate NY who has 1600 yds and will be 2200 by the end of the summer when we take down some trees.  I do shoot the .338 and .408 at Metacon on my own steel but while fun, it really is a waste of very expensive ammo, even more so if you don't reload.

Speaking of expense, I still have that 750 gr Win NATO ball that I paid $1.50 ea.  I've still seen gun show ammo for less than $3.  Factory Lapua .338LM is $5/rd and .408 is $9/rd.  The .50 is MUCH cheaper for just screwing around.

I haven't shot my .50 in years since Metacon has their bizarre rule that all .50s must be shot suppressed.  I know of only two guys there that have a suppressor.  They will fit my rifle but since I am not going to invest in a can of my own, I can't use it there.  .408CT?  sure.  .338LM?  no problem (both on your own steel or just paper.  New club rule limits for club steel are .300 WM or lower)  But .50 is a nogo.  Strange but whatever.

I am currently selling my EDM switch barrel to get in all probability a dedicated.338LM, like a Surgeon or DTA .  I just want something a little farther reaching for NY.  A .300WM is a good choice as well but is a noted barrel burner.  6.5 Creedmore might be perfect for everywhere but never lit my fire although it is a great and popular round.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an old McMillan M-87 single shot bolt action with a original duckbill muzzle brake.  Action comes out of he stock so it fits a Pelican case.  Scope is a real deal Leupold Ultra 20x fixed with mil-dots.  I ordered it over 20 years ago with the single shot action to make it as strong and rigid as possible, just like I did with my Cheytac.  Don't see a need for a box mag for this type of gun when I am just engaging paper or steel.

While the .50 is all the talk at the range and really brings the muzzle energy, most of the ammo you can buy is not the most accurate around.  Military ball, like the 1985 Win 750gr I have is made for the M2HB and is designed to be minute of man, not small groups.  It can get pretty frustrating when two holes touch and then the next shot goes 6 inches low and to the left.  Hornady A-Max is MUCH better but very spendy.  The absolute best was when I loaded IMI 660gr homogenous naval bronze solids over H5010.  I wouldn't even know where to find those now but they were laser beams.  Barnes makes some killer heads now too.  The .50 Caliber Shooters Association is a great place for info and all things. 50.  RCBS' Ammomaster is perfect for reloading .50 because of the space for the cartridge and the leverage you can get.  A pair of dies will fill your hand.  Beware of pulled  .50 heads being sold by some.  Quite a few people were selling black tip AP and realizing they were illegal in some states, were placing them in a media tumbler to take the black off and sell them as ball.  Some were real clean but most when seen in a good light showed the outline.

I had a Barrett M-82A1.  Talk about minute of man.  Reliable and high CDI factor but even most real professional snipers would tell you it is more an anti-material rifle than anti-personel.  Given the same ammo, the McMillan would smoke the Barrett all day.  Heavy fucker too but it helped with recoil.  The latest versions are really improved and lighter but alas....

Outside of ultimate power, the Cheytac and the .338LM kill the .50 in accuracy potential, especially the .408.   They shoot much flatter and the .408 stays supersonic longer.  All three are WAY too much gun for CT.  I have a very good friend in upstate NY who has 1600 yds and will be 2200 by the end of the summer when we take down some trees.  I do shoot the .338 and .408 at Metacon on my own steel but while fun, it really is a waste of very expensive ammo, even more so if you don't reload.

Speaking of expense, I still have that 750 gr Win NATO ball that I paid $1.50 ea.  I've still seen gun show ammo for less than $3.  Factory Lapua .338LM is $5/rd and .408 is $9/rd.  The .50 is MUCH cheaper for just screwing around.

I haven't shot my .50 in years since Metacon has their bizarre rule that all .50s must be shot suppressed.  I know of only two guys there that have a suppressor.  They will fit my rifle but since I am not going to invest in a can of my own, I can't use it there.  .408CT?  sure.  .338LM?  no problem (both on your own steel or just paper.  New club rule limits for club steel are .300 WM or lower)  But .50 is a nogo.  Strange but whatever.

I am currently selling my EDM switch barrel to get in all probability a dedicated.338LM, like a Surgeon or DTA .  I just want something a little farther reaching for NY.  A .300WM is a good choice as well but is a noted barrel burner.  6.5 Creedmore might be perfect for everywhere but never lit my fire although it is a great and popular round.
View Quote

They implemented that rule back when the "neighbors" were suing them, trying to get the range shut down. They were trying to show the community that they were a good neighbor, or something.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Like conndcj said, the 50 is very very limited in ct. Both of the ranges I shoot at don't allow them at all. but if you have the range to do so, rock out. they do have a cool factor and me, like the rest of us would never dissuade someone from getting a firearm that they want, even if they are slightly impractical. i want a 50 too

BUT the .338 lapua has just as good accuracy up to 2000 meters IMO and carries decent energy. obviously no where close to the 50 but it can hold its own. as far as accuracy over distance goes, at 1000 meters, the .338 lapua is just getting warmed up. Over all investment, the .338 will be way cheaper than a 50. You can reload premium .338 loads for under 1.60 a round depending which bullet you use. The 300 gr match hybrid bergers have a retarded high bc and if you get a barrel with a faster twist then 1-10 you can set up a real driver.  My .338 was bought for hunting so Ive been having a few issues in the bullet department . I have a 1-9.3 twist and really want to run a 300 gr bullet too. Unfortunately there arnt too many 300 gr "hunting " bullets out there other then the Nosler accubond which has a bc of .714. They are impossible to find right now. Lot of guys run the sierra match kings with good luck and I think they are around 40 bucks for a box of 50.

There are quite a few choices for rifles in .338 LM now and are less than half the price then any 50. the Savage 110FCP is  pretty decent set up for around 1400 I believe . If you want a designated rifle to push past 1500 meters then I'd just get an action and barrel it. Factory barrels are only going to take you so far. Only reason why I didn't build one is because I really don't plan on pushing extreme yardage. I wanted a 1200 yard hunting rifle, and the weatherby i bought is good enough for that. When I burn this barrel up I intend to re barrel it for steel probably. With Weatherby, their mark V action was already big enough to handle the massive .460 weatherby mag, so setting it up for .338lm was a a cake walk for them. unfortunately, bottom metal and stocks don't grow on trees for the mark V action like they do for the remington 700 action, so im limited there.

One other thing to consider with these Long range monsters is not the rifle or ammo, but optics. You need a scope with enough internal adjustment to get you out to the distances you want to shoot. The scope I bought ( vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27) has 33 mils of adjustment. with a 20 moa base, a 250 gr bullet should be able to reach 1800 meters. That's also still holding a 100 yard zero. Luckily the market is flooded with scope choices with that type of adjustment and all in the 2300-2800 range which isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine on an impulse purchase.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I got some igman 699 grain at a show in mass and that had a little extra thump in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I was shocked the other day when I seen 50 cal rounds for sale at Walmart, don't remember the price though
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
All the bolt 50s are legal.

Hiller has an Armalite and a Robar in the store.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The 50 cal is just cool. Practical, of course not. It is one of those toys that you lust for but has no practical purpose.

When I move to a free state I will probably pick one up because there are 1000 yd ranges near where I hope to move.

Talk to any military sniper. They consider the 50 cal a hard target weapon. .338 or .300 winmag for soft targets.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 50 cal is just cool. Practical, of course not. It is one of those toys that you lust for but has no practical purpose.

When I move to a free state I will probably pick one up because there are 1000 yd ranges near where I hope to move.

Talk to any military sniper. They consider the 50 cal a hard target weapon. .338 or .300 winmag for soft targets.

View Quote

Yeah. Most people I know that have them own property up in VT/NH/ME. Good for destroying objects.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an M107 don't shoot it much because of lack of places that will let you shoot it and lack of time,but what a sexy rifle.Also OP checkout the Barrett M95 its a mag fed bolt got mine from Schryver Guns pretty good sized barrett dealer and a great guy to deal with
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Mag fed bolt looks to be the only thing in my price range... Hard to justify 12k on the Barrett semi but  ...

So, of all of the AP/API rounds available.... Are there any special restrictions in KT?

Any experience with the Steyr HS50?

The Barrett M95 does indeed look very nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah as cool as they are I would rather give you 20$ and put 6 rds through yours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have an M107 don't shoot it much because of lack of places that will let you shoot it and lack of time,but what a sexy rifle.Also OP checkout the Barrett M95 its a mag fed bolt got mine from Schryver Guns pretty good sized barrett dealer and a great guy to deal with
View Quote

By any chance have you gone shooting on private land on the Monroe/Newtown line with that?  A friend of mine may have put a few rounds out of that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Here's an M95 with a nightforce 3.5-15 x 50mm. It gives 50 moa in each way of adjustment.

some 1/2" 4130 and 1/4 01 tool steel. the target was straight before it was shot.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm hard
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

By any chance have you gone shooting on private land on the Monroe/Newtown line with that?  A friend of mine may have put a few rounds out of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it wasn't me,I have never been out shooting that way
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy crap... were those tool steel plates shot with standard ball or AP? (outside of this fucking state of course)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
m33 ball
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, thanks I needed a good laugh

I've had my 50 for about 15 years now. I've been competing with it for the last 7 or 8 years. It sucks that there is no real place to shoot them in CT.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Hey would you like to push that 107 out to 500yds or so?  May have a place in sourhbury if that's not too far. Where are you located?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey would you like to push that 107 out to 500yds or so?  May have a place in sourhbury if that's not too far. Where are you located?
View Quote

Southbury is a ride for me but 500 yds would be great,maybe when the weather gets better and I could find a day will set something up and do this.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not that far from southbury. Mine isn't as fun as a semi though
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok well of all the guys in here who have 30cal and larger long range guns who would be up for a shoot in sourhbury?  Myself and another member may be able to get access to a place where 500yds is possible or, possibly further.  Still working on the logistics of it all.  

I also just picked up 100rds of 50cal as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#29]
In on that. long drive but I would make it to stretch another 100 yards
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

You just want to see me, it's ok, you don't hacd to make excuses
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok well of all the guys in here who have 30cal and larger long range guns who would be up for a shoot in sourhbury?  Myself and another member may be able to get access to a place where 500yds is possible or, possibly further.  Still working on the logistics of it all.  

View Quote

I'm right next to Southbury so im IN
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its all about the handys
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Im in
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Im in
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm in. Hell my parents live in oxford / southbury line.. by kettletown.
but I will be going to jamaica tomorrow for a week...
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I would like to join you guys. I don't have a 1000 yard gun but I would certainly like to watch.

One of my next toys is going to be a precision bolt gun. I will not have it for a while though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would like to join you guys. I don't have a 1000 yard gun but I would certainly like to watch.

One of my next toys is going to be a precision bolt gun. I will not have it for a while though.
View Quote

you can build these bolt guns pretty cheap now a days. buy a used or new 700 action, barrel it, trigger, bottom metal, and stock. for around 1200.

glass is a different story
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd be down. Need to stretch out my MK12.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
The leaf sight in n my Mosin M44 goes up to 1000, that as good as a 338 or 50 right? When can I show up?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The leaf sight in n my Mosin M44 goes up to 1000, that as good as a 338 or 50 right? When can I show up?
View Quote

ive hit a steel buffalo at 400 yards with my mosin off the bench . they can do whatever you want them to
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ive hit a steel buffalo at 400 yards with my mosin off the bench . they can do whatever you want them to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In AZ I used to hit a steer ram at 500m standing with my Polish Tantal I built with a screws.  It had the original barrel though.  

I'm talking to a few people to set up a day to shoot
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Depending on the date I'd be interested also
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top