Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 6:16:58 PM EDT
Looking for a 9mm can for pistol use- thoughts?
I have a-
9mm subgun can, a .45 can and a few others ..
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the dif between a sub gun can and a pistol can?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are not familiar with silencers you will be disappointed.  That PEW PEW sound they make in the movies is nonsense.  I have a YHM 9mm Cobrra and it sounds like a book being slammed shut.  You definitely hear the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target but it's not whisper quiet either.  You will need to use subsonic ammo in it to prevent the sonic crack silencers won't be able to cover up, which necessarily means you losing a lot of energy on the target.  You can increase it's silencing ability by filling the silencer with water before firing it.  The water dissipated some of the energy in the can.

To mmy knowledge, YHM is the only model you can actually takle apart to clean. All others, you'll need to soak in a solution to clean.

DO NOT TOUCH THE SILENCER AFTE R YOU FIRE THE GUN.  It will be skin burningly hot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Silencer Co Ospry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silencer Co Ospry.
View Quote

Agreed. Buddy of mine has one of these. Silencer Co makes some bad ass products.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed. Buddy of mine has one of these. Silencer Co makes some bad ass products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co osprey.

For those who use sites or care to hit what they're aiming at the Osprey  hangs mostly below the centerline of the barrel so you can see over it without the need for different sites.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For those who use sites or care to hit what they're aiming at the Osprey  hangs mostly below the centerline of the barrel so you can see over it without the need for different sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co osprey.

Mine will mostly be used for hit man type work so..,,
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co osprey.

Touching distance. Ain't got no time for sights.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are not familiar with silencers you will be disappointed.  That PEW PEW sound they make in the movies is nonsense.  I have a YHM 9mm Cobrra and it sounds like a book being slammed shut.  You definitely hear the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target but it's not whisper quiet either.  You will need to use subsonic ammo in it to prevent the sonic crack silencers won't be able to cover up, which necessarily means you losing a lot of energy on the target.  You can increase it's silencing ability by filling the silencer with water before firing it.  The water dissipated some of the energy in the can.

To mmy knowledge, YHM is the only model you can actually takle apart to clean. All others, you'll need to soak in a solution to clean.

DO NOT TOUCH THE SILENCER AFTE R YOU FIRE THE GUN.  It will be skin burningly hot.
View Quote

If you pay a little extra you can get the water cooled versions.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What's the dif between a sub gun can and a pistol can?
View Quote

Size /internal volume
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co osprey.

I am glad that when the thread went stupid- it stayed intertaining!
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you read my post or have you been drinking and forgot what you read?
Riddle me that ...
No offense ment but ....pour me a little
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

I read the first sentence asking for thoughts on your getting a 9mm pistol can so I posted my thoughts like you asked.  Only then did I go back and read the second sentence and wondered why you didn't know 9mm cans on subgun hosts can be used on pistol hosts.  I said "oh well" and was going to leave it at that until you copped an attitude so now I'm thinking you have anger management issues..  Does that clear things up?

Here's my can.  Let's see yours:

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co Ospry.

In your opinion, how do you think they will run with .300 BLK (as opposed to AAC)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The Osprey is not user serviceable. Supposedly you will need to shoot thousands of rounds of really dirty ammo to foul it.

The Octane is user serviceable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
AAAAAAAAAAND HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!

The need for being user "servicable" is a giant pile of made up Internet magic unicorn shit glitter!   UNLESS, it's a 22lr can, some do need to be cleaned since 22lr is dirty as fuck but even that will take 5k+ to do it.  

Some company years ago made a center fire can that came apart for what ever reason, if anything it was due to laziness in production.  Just screw it all together and sell it or have to put the extra effort in to weld it. Then more people wanted said cans due to it becoming the cool thing to do.  Being able to change out baffles is important you say?  Well only if you have a shitty can/host and plan on getting baffle strikes it is.  

Every big name suppressor company I've talked to all laugh a bit when I bring this up to them and say basically the same thing, unless it's a 22 no need for it.  If they were offering a can like that it's just to meet the market who think they need a servicable can.

So like I said.... Silencer Co.  

Osprey on a SUB 300 Blk....  No reason that won't work, they're all going to sound basically the same.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I read the first sentence asking for thoughts on your getting a 9mm pistol can so I posted my thoughts like you asked.  Only then did I go back and read the second sentence and wondered why you didn't know 9mm cans on subgun hosts can be used on pistol hosts.  I said "oh well" and was going to leave it at that until you copped an attitude so now I'm thinking you have anger management issues..  Does that clear things up?

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l377/GoodOlDave/cased_set_zpse61611fa.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

Here you go

Subgun cans don't really work well on pistols - they won't cycle the action, not enough back pressure .
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AAAAAAAAAAND HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!

The need for being user "servicable" is a giant pile of made up Internet magic unicorn shit glitter!   UNLESS, it's a 22lr can, some do need to be cleaned since 22lr is dirty as fuck but even that will take 5k+ to do it.  

Some company years ago made a center fire can that came apart for what ever reason, if anything it was due to laziness in production.  Just screw it all together and sell it or have to put the extra effort in to weld it. Then more people wanted said cans due to it becoming the cool thing to do.  Being able to change out baffles is important you say?  Well only if you have a shitty can/host and plan on getting baffle strikes it is.  

Every big name suppressor company I've talked to all laugh a bit when I bring this up to them and say basically the same thing, unless it's a 22 no need for it.  If they were offering a can like that it's just to meet the market who think they need a servicable can.

So like I said.... Silencer Co.  

Osprey on a SUB 300 Blk....  No reason that won't work, they're all going to sound basically the same.
View Quote

I did not mean to start a debate on whether to buy  "user serviceable" cans. Not sure I would get too worried about cleaning it unless you are shooting lead bullets with real dirty powder. Even then it will take thousands to foul it.

I bought the Octane and user serviceable was not really on my list of criteria.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you a hitman nutter?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you a hitman nutter?
View Quote

No... But I did stay at a holiday inn last night
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
TiRant 9mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co Ospry.

Too much aluminum

TiRant >

How many square car mufflers are there?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a hitman nutter?

That's where hit men stay
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

Here you go http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/6A632936-E983-4FD5-B4C2-51AF6384B527_zps4ixzkhzo.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/E5B183C4-4B29-44F2-91C5-05B8DD92A161_zpsrulluck7.jpg

Subgun cans don't really work well on pistols - they won't cycle the action, not enough back pressure .

Nutter, what can is on the 22 ? How do you like it ? I have a trust to use and looking at 22 for first suppressor then 45 and 30 cal
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

Cool Case!  Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#26]
ive heard good things about 2 liter coke bottles
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a hitman nutter?

HA! He got ya. Hitman 101

We rent a room at the Holiday Inn. Then we stay at the HoJo's across the street.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nutter, what can is on the 22 ? How do you like it ? I have a trust to use and looking at 22 for first suppressor then 45 and 30 cal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

Here you go http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/6A632936-E983-4FD5-B4C2-51AF6384B527_zps4ixzkhzo.jpg
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/chivoblanco/E5B183C4-4B29-44F2-91C5-05B8DD92A161_zpsrulluck7.jpg

It's a coastal can- relatively cheap! There are better cans out there but for the money- it wasn't bad.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We rent a room at the Holiday Inn. Then we stay at the HoJo's across the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a hitman nutter?

For the gang-bangs or ta pimp out the hoes?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#30]
This topic interest me. Wonder if we could get a discount for buying two?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Too much aluminum

TiRant >

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silencer Co Ospry.

Too much aluminum

TiRant >

A lot actually.   Everything stock comes with an oval one which is closer to Osprey shape than AAC.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddle me that ...

Kinda hoped you would show me more cool
Stuff like that case.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I have the osprey9. I like it a lot. On a glock host with trijicon HD sights, the sights line up perfectly with the top of the can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have the osprey9. I like it a lot. On a glock host with trijicon HD sights, the sights line up perfectly with the top of the can.
View Quote

I am leaning in this direction- If we ever should I would like to try your combo out. I want shoot before I buy this time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top