BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage rascal. Single shot and accu-trigger, yup.  My son really likes it. Easy enough for him to run the bolt but, I can still flick the safety on and off easily too.
View Quote

Who did the barrel threading for you?
I asked Delta Arsenal, barrel was too skinny to thread it to spec. I read of one place that will thread the barrel for an adapter that the suppressor then threads on, but would love to know where you had it done.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I asked Delta Arsenal, barrel was too skinny to thread it to spec. I read of one place that will thread the barrel for an adapter that the suppressor then threads on, but would love to know where you had it done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Savage rascal. Single shot and accu-trigger, yup.  My son really likes it. Easy enough for him to run the bolt but, I can still flick the safety on and off easily too.

That's fucking funny!!!! Delta threaded it for me. I asked them about doing exactly what you said, thread it smaller then add an adapter. They told me, it had just enough meat on the barrel to just thread it regularly. I test fired it at their range with their can, to make sure it was concentric.....I had some issues with a barrel they did on my Rem 700, but that's another story. But, it works great. And stupid quiet!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's fucking funny!!!! Delta threaded it for me. I asked them about doing exactly what you said, thread it smaller then add an adapter. They told me, it had just enough meat on the barrel to just thread it regularly. I test fired it at their range with their can, to make sure it was concentric.....I had some issues with a barrel they did on my Rem 700, but that's another story. But, it works great. And stupid quiet!
View Quote

Thanks for responding!
Hmm, I guess I should go back there. I had mine there just 3-4 months ago. My son would be psyched to shoot his rascal suppressed.
Do you mind emailing me your name and/or the time frame you brought it there?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Changing up my plan. Picked up a toy AR and I'm going to try a few different paint jobs before I paint my pinned 14.5. Couldn't wait anymore for good weather outside so I'm doing it inside.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't want to wait anymore, so I've started painting the toy Airsoft rifle I picked up. I am glad that I did as I was quite unhappy with my first few attempts. All paints used so far are standard rustoleum camo colors picked up at walmart. Sand, khaki, 2 greens and an earth brown. I am not going to waste time with pictures of the first 2 attempts.

I started getting MUCH better results when I started tying and tightening the netting on the rear side of the rifle before painting. There are 2 different fishnet products used, a thin and thick weave.

ETA linked pictures corrupted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!! What are the net things from?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The last picture looks great!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice!! What are the net things from?
View Quote

The thin weave is women's fishnet stalkings. The thick weave is from walmart, halloween time, costume department. Sold as witches forearm coverings. Complicated I know. I've been planning this since last fall so I have been on the look out for netting for a while.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The last picture looks great!
View Quote

Thanks! I can do better.

I'm going to have to Frankenstein a few smaller pieces together with fishing line so it is large enough to fit over the rifle appropriately. I really kind of rushed through this run.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You can use a mesh laundry bag from walmart. About $2. Also Joann sells netting by the yard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can use a mesh laundry bag from walmart. About $2. Also Joann sells netting by the yard.
View Quote

haha

disregard my message
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tried the mesh bag. Didn't get very good results. But I did not have it tight to the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
That came out pretty damn nice Mike. I like the idea of practicing on a toy - Im gonna have to go see how cheap I can get one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That came out pretty damn nice Mike. I like the idea of practicing on a toy - Im gonna have to go see how cheap I can get one.
View Quote

Cheapest found some on ebay for about $15.

Ammo can.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
The toy rifle I did paint compared to the rifle I will be painting.

Needs more seasoning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks great mike
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Going to try a Kryptek job on my pistol build !!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't want to wait anymore, so I've started painting the toy Airsoft rifle I picked up. I am glad that I did as I was quite unhappy with my first few attempts. All paints used so far are standard rustoleum camo colors picked up at walmart. Sand, khaki, 2 greens and an earth brown. I am not going to waste time with pictures of the first 2 attempts.

I started getting MUCH better results when I started tying and tightening the netting on the rear side of the rifle before painting. There are 2 different fishnet products used, a thin and thick weave.

Base coat

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/823b1d109eced7dc08bd4d8af4caa6d1_zpsrsnltul1.jpg

Thin weave

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/a6a2147676a1708087256d09b4a2dbe5_zpseyhnm2sa.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/f1f0cd386294a6991b86afda748e6848_zpsin6ezkai.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/df6a99432e0f826af1371ef1fd6b0eeb_zpsltnhqpzp.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/6e34f5e82f2b2c484f589066d4f8aa81_zpsncnwvcwc.jpg

Thick weave

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/9139508a7a19b5ed1e7d7953cb0bf473_zpson6dedfg.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/6ea4f8ca867f0211be630b4ff9297b2a_zpszqckjrgp.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/d84c55d1eb833547b93735c4b5ac18c3_zpsbe59zx5h.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/62c4f24e06037c23c46f1454c895f223_zpsiyjpe9sc.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/5677d997bc08266581f94b5c1df1526e_zps8b1xcxpz.jpg

Thoughts?
View Quote

Nice work Mike! I have a bunch of airsoft guns my kids and I like to mess around with. Going to have to give that a try!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you going to buy a kit or homebrew?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow nice job Mike, you actually kinda got a Kryptec look going from using the two different mesh/fishnets!

When I did mine I used the laundry bag from walmart.  But what I did was cut a square piece, maybe about 6"x6" big and put it where I was about to paint.  Then moved into into the different areas as I was painting.  And when I wanted a tight look it was very easy to get it to form to the area I was working with a little tape.
I never even thought of using the whole bag at once.  The smaller piece was very easy to manipulate to what I wanted/needed.

Either way yours looks good.  But I honestly think the black rifle is more camoflouged in the leaves for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Tried another pattern this is the ever popular walmart laundry bag.

ETA linked pictures corrupted
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting the stencil on eBay and going to give it a shot
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#23]
i bet ctshooters does this too...and ccdl.

id never rattle can a gun unless i was headed for the hills.

i rattle canned a few mags to match my FDE theme when i was on the stage of FDE...

all black looks cleaner IMO.

but if i could, i would buy another preban, and cerekote it white for them snowy coyote days just for the cool factor though
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i rattle canned a few mags to match my FDE theme when i was on the stage of FDE...

but if i could, i would buy another preban, and cerekote it white for them snowy coyote days just for the cool factor though
View Quote

Your Not already planning for that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No to be honest.  If I have to get out, hiding my gun in the woods is least of my worries.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm getting the itch to rattle can again. I think it's time to camo... Anyone else take the plunge yet?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm still on the fence
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#28]
You know I did Mike
Remember you can always use KleanStrip from Walmart to strip rattle paint, so it's not permanent.  Use rubbing alcohol to prep.  Then go nuts.  The more light coats you do the tougher the pint job will be.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
just have it cerakoted. you can do multiple colors and it will be pretty durable as well
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
just have it cerakoted. you can do multiple colors and it will be pretty durable as well
View Quote

Im all for cerakote, but for certain appearances you need one or the other.  The rattle can camo paint job is unique, so if thats what you want, cerakote won't give you that look.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm planning some high dollar cerakote jobs...

Blown Deadline website

Blown Deadline Facebook

But not for this rifle. This ones getting the can.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#32]
those look good. the battle worn definitely looks better then a spray job IMO. but if your going for strictly " rattle can" look then i can understand why it can't be achieved with the cerakote.

but i bet they can get pretty damn close
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Im all for cerakote, but for certain appearances you need one or the other.  The rattle can camo paint job is unique, so if thats what you want, cerakote won't give you that look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sorta of can though, the problem is, the few times I've seen Cerakote done soft like rattle can, it looks like shit, and the idea of shelling out the large sums of money it costs to do Cerakote for a shitty looking finish is something that I just can't seem to reconcile. I'll be doing some more interesting things soon at the shop, if you guys are interested, I'll post some pictures.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You sorta of can though, the problem is, the few times I've seen Cerakote done soft like rattle can, it looks like shit, and the idea of shelling out the large sums of money it costs to do Cerakote for a shitty looking finish is something that I just can't seem to reconcile. I'll be doing some more interesting things soon at the shop, if you guys are interested, I'll post some pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course we want pictures!!!

If I shell out the money to Cerakote a rifle its likely to turn into my safe queen. ha!

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#35]
some of those guns look like they are Instagram heroes . wonder if they ever get shot, other than in front of a camera
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
some of those guns look like they are Instagram heroes . wonder if they ever get shot, other than in front of a camera
View Quote

Eh, some do, some don't. Cerakote is a big investment for a project like that and for many they are range queens. We've done guns where the cost of the coating was higher than the cost of the firearm, it's all personal preferences really. For example, if you had a pre ban SR-25 that you spent like 4-5 grand on just for the gun, then another $600 in Cerakote work, are you gonna beat that rifle around? I'd be surprised if most here beat their rifles up as frankly the opportunity to shoot in situations where they get worn like that rarely occur for most people.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Here are two guns that I spray painted:

Painted the upper flat black on the top gun. It had a FDE cerakote job on it that did not match the forearm rail. I liked the color of the rail, so left that and the rest of the gun alone.

The lower gun is a PWA preban, that had a crappy paint job on it when I bought it, so I stripped and painted that one too. Not perfect by any means, but I like it better than the old paint.

Just took this pic at the range, Friday afternoon.

" />
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Eh, some do, some don't. Cerakote is a big investment for a project like that and for many they are range queens. We've done guns where the cost of the coating was higher than the cost of the firearm, it's all personal preferences really. For example, if you had a pre ban SR-25 that you spent like 4-5 grand on just for the gun, then another $600 in Cerakote work, are you gonna beat that rifle around? I'd be surprised if most here beat their rifles up as frankly the opportunity to shoot in situations where they get worn like that rarely occur for most people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be so surprised......Ill just throw this out there.....the rifle I posted in this thread, adds up to more than a preban SR-25.  I rattle canned it, and it gets used more than any other firearm I have.  Its also the rifle I use for matches.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't beat on anything i own. even my old 37 Winchester single shot shotgun gets babied . kinda like a scratch on my truck. yes its a truck, and i use it as such. but i don't want it scratched and banged up.

i guess i was referring to the guys who build guns for looks, and not to use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Don't be so surprised......Ill just throw this out there.....the rifle I posted in this thread, adds up to more than a preban SR-25.  I rattle canned it, and it gets used more than any other firearm I have.  Its also the rifle I use for matches.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point, rattle canning isn't permanent, Cerakote is. When your Krylon gets beat up, strip it and re coat, or just repaint it. With a Cerakote job, it's not that simple.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Blown Deadline website

Blown Deadline Facebook

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blown Deadline website

Blown Deadline Facebook

The shops name is blown deadline. Really inspires confidence

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#42]
My rattle canned rifles.

These will be coated soon to be demo guns for an upcoming night vision demo shoot we are going to be a part of.
XCR-L

5.45 AR

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#44]
my budlight in a miller coozie looks better than rattle canned ar's
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
my budlight in a miller coozie looks better than rattle canned ar's
View Quote

They are rattle canned, they aren't supposed to look good!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Testing on a toy. Still figuring if I'm going to SBR before I paint.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#47]
That came out really good! I would definitely go with the sbr
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey Mike, that paint job looks great.  The punisher symbol is not my cup of tea, but if you like it that's all that matters.  
I would wait for the sbr as well!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Burlap
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#50]

How many coats of paint do you have on that damn thing now? Lol
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top