Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 8:14:24 AM EDT
Wife and I went to see “Interstellar” last night (senior night!) with a promise from a number of movie reviewers that I would not be disappointed.   Believe me when I tell you that we were.  This was a great waste of time.  Don't worry, no spoiler alert needed.  Just a simple review.

It was extremely disjointed, required me to provide humungous leaps of faith and ignore obvious solutions to many of the problems they encountered.  It was like watching a cop show.  The first thing you yell at the TV is “Call for Backup!” before the cop enters a dark building.  When they don’t call, I change the channel because that “smart” cop was doing something incredibly stupid.  Well, this movie does the same thing over and over again.  There had to be a least five situations that made me want to yell at the screen like they do at “Mystery Science Theater 3000”.  Then there were scenes that, I swear, they picked up off the cutting room floor and stuck them back into the move because they had cut away so much they needed to add some time back.  What, for instance, does chasing a drone have to do with ANYTHING in this movie?   If you decide to see it, keep that in the back of your mind.  

And, all of that was icing on the cake in the shadow of the premise of the entire story.  Talk about strange, convoluted and unexplained.

Be prepared for the first 35+ minutes of this film takes place on a corn farm.  At first I thought it was going to be something like that Mel Gibson corn farm movie or “Children of the Corn”  but then I remembered that there was something that was going to involve space travel.  Well, after 35+ minutes you could have fooled us. I leaned over and whispered to the wife, “There is supposed to be space flight in this movie, right?”   Then, when the space stuff finally does happen, the space people(being vague here on purpose) are thrilled that Matthew’s character showed up to drive their spacecraft.  Well, he lived just one days drive from them and they know him well.......why the hell didn’t they just recruit him in the first place?  Duh!   It’s stuff like this that happens time and time again and it’s why we had enough and actually left the theater after 90 minutes not wanting them to keep us trapped for another hour or so with yet more unexplained and screwy scenes and ragged plots.  I suppose I’ll rent it when it comes out just to see how it ends.  I heard today that the “Dumb and Dumber 3” movie killed the box offices and ‘quality” movies like Interstellar were flopping around making some money but nothing like D&D3.  I have to tell you that now I understand why.  

Just my 2 cents.  Spend your hard earned bucks and expect 2-1/2 hours of yawn.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up cabinet man!  I was excited that it would be very smartly done.  I watched a show on the science channel called the science of interstellar and Christopher Nolan had physicists, and other smart ass guys working as consultants on the film.  I figured they were really into something different/special here.

In the end though, movies are for entertainment.  Documentaries are for facts.  So if you weren't entertained that is a fail in my book.  

I haven't been to the theaters in at least a year(and before that it had been years).  I pretty much stopped going, unless a franchise that I love has a new release.  I really only red box movies now.  Televisions are huge now, so there is no need to go to the "big screen" anymore, especially when you can be comfortable at home.  

As far as dumb and dumber to.....I loved the original as a kid, and can't wait to see the new one.....on my couch.

Again thanks for the review!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Big thread in GD on it. some liked it others didn't

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1674534_Interstellar__SPOILER_ALERT_.html&page=1

Movie gets pretty good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/interstellar_2014/?search=intersteller

TOMATOMETER 73%    
Average Rating:  7.1/10
Reviews Counted:  248
Fresh:  182
Rotten:  66

AUDIENCE SCORE 87% liked it
Average Rating: 4.2/5
User Ratings:  100,273

Like other movies, will wait till it hits DVD to watch it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
While not scientifically accurate, the visuals in this movie are worth it on the big screen. I thought the movie was OK, I thought the robots were inventive, but I was a little disappointed with the outcome.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was excellent and entertainig, taking obtuse concepts and making them.palatable for mass consumption without making the movie dumb or simple. Visuals aside, the highlight for me was the emotional component of the movie. It also deals with preposterous situations while somehow making them believable. Every movie in existence that's is not a historical non fiction requires you to suspend you disbelief to some degree. If you want a documentary on quantum physics or relativity watch a documentary. If you want to be entertained watch a movie.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I've outlined most of my objections to it but the one glaring one was when they were on that planet.  They just jumped into the "ocean" not knowing what was below.  So, why didn't they send the robot in the first place?  They could have gotten in and out in a hurry but, instead, suffered the consequences.  It's stuff like that that bothers me in movies because the script doesn't follow what a normal human would do given his training or position.  The special effects were cool, too, but the sound was just beyond comfortable, I think.  

Rome
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Without getting into spoilers, you make a good point with sending the robot instead. But if they did that it would remove one of this big parts of the movie lol . Buy your right about it not being the most logical choice.        
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I've outlined most of my objections to it but the one glaring one was when they were on that planet.  They just jumped into the "ocean" not knowing what was below.  So, why didn't they send the robot in the first place?  They could have gotten in and out in a hurry but, instead, suffered the consequences.  It's stuff like that that bothers me in movies because the script doesn't follow what a normal human would do given his training or position.  The special effects were cool, too, but the sound was just beyond comfortable, I think.  

Rome
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
So how does it end?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
But were there guns or boobs? I wasn't planning on seeing it because it didn't sound like it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I will wait for it to be available as a download. I don't go to the movies anyway. Too expensive for the lousy experience of a theater.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So how does it end?
View Quote

WARNING: SPOILER!!!!

Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how does it end?

for real!?!? That is a shocker. Oh well guess I don't need to see the new Star Wars.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I spoiled our son and took just him to see that new Disney "Big Hero 6" (without his sisters) and then we sneaked in afterwards to see "Interstellar".

It was good, only as far as it being thought provoking and obviously a very impressive production and masterful editing job. And the special effects are beautiful. But beyond that, it was "meh".

The plot has some holes to it. And the sudden appearance of one actor and his role are cliche'.

The best part of the film is the black hole. The physical representation of a black hole was FINALLY done right, on screen! Just spectacular!

This is one of those films that you see just so you know what everyone's talking about... And then you never feel the need to ever see it again. Except for the black hole scene.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The best part about that appearance? They portrayed him as the commie douche he is. I was overjoyed to be able to like a movie without liking him.        
Quoted:

My wife and I spoiled our son and took just him to see that new Disney "Big Hero 6" (without his sisters) and then we sneaked in afterwards to see "Interstellar".

It was good, only as far as it being thought provoking and obviously a very impressive production and masterful editing job. And the special effects are beautiful. But beyond that, it was "meh".

The plot has some holes to it. And the sudden appearance of one actor and his role are cliche'.

The best part of the film is the black hole. The physical representation of a black hole was FINALLY done right, on screen! Just spectacular!

This is one of those films that you see just so you know what everyone's talking about... And then you never feel the need to ever see it again. Except for the black hole scene.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top