Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:38 PM EDT

IT'S FOR SALE

Just imagine a town that refuses state funding, and therefore doesn't need to adhere to state demands.

No police force, because EVERYONE open carries!

No schools, because everyone homeschools or volunteers.

Even the state highway department doesn't plow or maintain the roads, because,  "Hey!.... We got this!"

What are the chances of a large group of private investors purchasing this, without some local developer buying it out from under us?

Yes... "Us".

Who's up for some fucking freedom, in this God-forsaken state!?!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Johnsonville, Connecticut, Is for Sale -- But It Has a Secret

A new model of what Liberty is supposed to be like, in the supposed "Constitution State".

I can't contribute a dime until I sell this house... But that's what banks are for.

Know anyone with a trust fund?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You just might be on to something...

BFL as our town flag? Arfville,CT?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Immediately secede from Connecticut!

Actually, it's not a "town"... It's located in the Moodus section of East Haddam

It's technically a village.

Village Of Johnsonville

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a cool place. My buddy actually filmed a movie for chiller network down there last summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siSfHFrrek
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait, what?

Yes!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We'd have to deputize everyone onto the police force
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was a reality I would kick in some money. We could have a town gun club. Every resident is a member of the police force so we can buy all the restricted stuff. The village of "Constitution".!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I nearly pissed myself.  Good reference!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Once you peep it on Google maps, its a quite disappointing 64 acres.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it's also currently divided into 8 parcels.

If and when a developer snags it, he'll likely tear down all the old homes and go to town dividing it up into a bazillion "parcels".

64 acres of land is still 64 acres of land.

I imagine one of the two surrounding towns has some kind of governmental dictatorship over the village. But if someone "owns" a village... doesn't that come with its own zip code and the rights to disassociate itself from local government regulations?

Like when Walt Disney bought all that land in Reedy Creek/Orlando. He didn't have to succumb to wetlands regulations or building codes.

As a matter of fact, a lot of people don't realize just how much "power" Disney World has. They can create their own law enforcement, emergency services, judicial/civil/criminals courts, they can issue tax-free bonds and don't have to be constrained by many enforcements that most towns have to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Utopia

It will get bought, bunch of riverside 7 figure McMansions,

it will end up as a gated community and you riffraff will be locked out

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
This has possibilities. The nose thumbing would be priceless and every citizen a LEO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top