Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 10:15:58 PM EDT
Just got back from dinner,  it's good but I feel for the price it should be better.  What do all of you think?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I ate there, it wasn't on my dime.

I think there were 7 of us and the bill was over $700. But there were a couple of bottles of wine in there too.

Delicious food. But it's only for very special occasions. Or for schmoozing clients as a tax write-off.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
3 of us I didn't drink came out to 200,  food was good but still,  there is a place in Westbrook that I feel has a better cut of meat.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya that place isn't what it used to be.  I forget the story but I believe it has changed management over the years so they keep the prices the same or up more while cutting corners.   Or just pay the staff less so lesser skilled chefs work there.

Down the road from there is, uhhh I don't remember but it was on TV a month or so ago.  Curtis house maybe?  I hear that's bad ass.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not what it used to be.

It was never really all that IMO anyways.

There are far better places to eat.  Always were.

It always seemed like the place you took your office out to for a holiday meal or something like that.  Or as a starting off point if you were heading to other places after.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to live in Newington and only ate at CM because I had a friend who worked there and would hook me up. Even with the discount I still preferred Ruth's Chris across the street.  I always thought that CM puffed itself up but was just... Meh.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used to live in Newington and only ate at CM because I had a friend who worked there and would hook me up. Even with the discount I still preferred Ruth's Chris across the street.  I always thought that CM puffed itself up but was just... Meh.
View Quote
Ruth's Chris is awesome.  After Morton's, they have the best filet mignon I've ever had.  I had a filet at Morton's (in Reston, VA) that was the size of a softball, perfect crust and rare all the way through.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It always seemed like the place you took your office out to for a holiday meal or something like that.  Or as a starting off point if you were heading to other places after.
View Quote

which one?

I agree with the above
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

which one?

I agree with the above
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which one?

I agree with the above

New Haven
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard of the place but the price I heard of the place has kept me away.  I like Outback Steakhouse.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Backout

[barf]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Wasn't the guy who owned CA a big Rowland crony involved In the Tommasso / Manafort Bund?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I make the best steak I've ever had.

It's all in the preparation.

Cooking it over cherry puts the finishing touches on it.

There's nothing like cooking meat over a wood fire.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I make the best steak I've ever had.

It's all in the preparation.

Cooking it over cherry puts the finishing touches on it.

There's nothing like cooking meat over a wood fire.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

New Haven
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which one?

I agree with the above

New Haven

ok never been Waterbur et al.
I onlly go if i got a gift cert
My go to place is New Mill in Southington
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wasn't the guy who owned CA a big Rowland crony involved In the Tommasso / Manafort Bund?
View Quote

I believe so my Young Turk

My kids day care provider bunch a years ago was amorous with Carmen, and she is a huge Republican/ Conservative, Rowland backer in the day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My kids day care provider bunch a years ago was amorous with Carmen, and she is a huge Republican/ Conservative, Rowland backer in the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raw meat is the best meat
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The original CA in Waterbury was always the best one IMHO.  Had a pretty awesome cigar dinner there years ago.  Rowland had a wine locker there.  His name was on a brass plate with some other well known people.

Ruth's Chris seems to get lost sometimes but I think it is pretty damn good.  Again IMHO, the best steakhouse in CT is Joseph's in Bridgeport.  He worked for Peter Luger's for years and it shows.  Nothing on this planet will beat Luger's for steak but for a much shorter drive, Joseph's is a good substitute.

The Capital Grille in Hartford is an awesome place as well.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The original CA in Waterbury was always the best one IMHO.  Had a pretty awesome cigar dinner there years ago.  Rowland had a wine locker there.  His name was on a brass plate with some other well known people.

Ruth's Chris seems to get lost sometimes but I think it is pretty damn good.  Again IMHO, the best steakhouse in CT is Joseph's in Bridgeport.  He worked for Peter Luger's for years and it shows.  Nothing on this planet will beat Luger's for steak but for a much shorter drive, Joseph's is a good substitute.

The Capital Grille in Hartford is an awesome place as well.

YMMV.
View Quote

Carmens in waterbury has always treated me well.  Carmen is a gun owner also, he got snagged at Bradly airport once hahaha
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Peter Lugers

Oh, noticed that Whole Foods sells pre-aged beef.  Just an FYI.   I'm with the "I can cook a better steak than any restaurant" crowd, but that requires a damn good piece of meat to start with.  And the advantage of Luger's or an high end steak house is always going to be it's beef grading, selection, and dry aging.  The actual "fire" part is pretty simple, but you have to have a feel for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]

home cooked is best cooked

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Peter Lugers

Oh, noticed that Whole Foods sells pre-aged beef.  Just an FYI.   I'm with the "I can cook a better steak than any restaurant" crowd, but that requires a damn good piece of meat to start with.  And the advantage of Luger's or an high end steak house is always going to be it's beef grading, selection, and dry aging.  The actual "fire" part is pretty simple, but you have to have a feel for it.
View Quote

Matt.  Totally agree.  While you can certainly fuck up a steak while cooking it, you need great product to start.  Instead of Whole Foods, I heartily recommend Avon Prime Meats on Rt 44 (across the street from the Simsbury theatres).  It was formerly a chain called The Meat House but the corporation went under and several struck out on their own.

All the cold cuts are Boar's Head, Hartford Baking Company delivers breads, a great selection of microbrews and excellent cheeses.  But the meats...oh my Lord the meats.  The carry prime, prime dry aged and Kobe (Kobe hot dogs!).  Cut everything to order.  If they let me smoke cigars in there, I'd never leave.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Matt.  Totally agree.  While you can certainly fuck up a steak while cooking it, you need great product to start.  Instead of Whole Foods, I heartily recommend Avon Prime Meats on Rt 44 (across the street from the Simsbury theatres).  It was formerly a chain called The Meat House but the corporation went under and several struck out on their own.

All the cold cuts are Boar's Head, Hartford Baking Company delivers breads, a great selection of microbrews and excellent cheeses.  But the meats...oh my Lord the meats.  The carry prime, prime dry aged and Kobe (Kobe hot dogs!).  Cut everything to order.  If they let me smoke cigars in there, I'd never leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peter Lugers

Thanks!

I need something to fill the void that Carlos left.   Highland Park markets are consistently very high quality, but you can certainly get better.

I've had the Kobe hot dogs when Highland Park gets them.  Interesting, but not my thing.  I'll never outgrow Grote&Weigel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 Joseph's!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top