Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 3:27:51 PM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions...

I've had a couple of the small dehumidifiers you plug in to dry out and a goldenrod in my safe for the past 4 years or so (nothing prior to that) and never had an issue. Recently I found two small rust spots on the slide of my glock where it was scratched and a little on the barrel of an old .22 rifle. We moved in May so I'm thinking the house may be a little more humid than where I was and I wanna get ahead of this
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're storing your guns in a basement I suggest a real dehumidifier along win a safe one and a good coat of oil
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've had a couple of the small dehumidifiers you plug in to dry out and a goldenrod in my safe for the past 4 years or so (nothing prior to that) and never had an issue. Recently I found two small rust spots on the slide of my glock where it was scratched and a little on the barrel of an old .22 rifle. We moved in May so I'm thinking the house may be a little more humid than where I was and I wanna get ahead of this
View Quote

The info you seek is here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're storing your guns in a basement I suggest a real dehumidifier along win a safe one and a good coat of oil
View Quote

And a sump pump and a generator
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone ever think of doing some sort of safe temp and humidity monitor with a small RPi box? Was thinking about this the other day and it would be pretty neat. Maybe a light monitor as well to know if your safe has been opened?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone ever think of doing some sort of safe temp and humidity monitor with a small RPi box? Was thinking about this the other day and it would be pretty neat. Maybe a light monitor as well to know if your safe has been opened?
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
In the basement, a real dehumidifier.  Golden rod and 2 Eva Dry 500's in the safe.  Keep all metal with a light coat of oil and at least wipe down stainless with a silicone cloth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can also try adding a second golden rod. I'm thinking this will solve your problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Golden Rod in safe is a must
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got a temp/humidity gauge from Cabela's for $25 for my safe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it email you when it gets too hot/cold or above/below certain humidity?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but the safe alarm liberty sells does, free monitering and when ever your safe is shaken it will send you a text.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top