Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
Hey guys I posted this in the travel section but figured local new englanders would have some good advice:

I'm looking to get away for a week, in October, up in VT . My wife and I are starting to look into cabins to stay in with a nice remote/scenic area, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for us. We will also be traveling with a 1 year old and would like stuff to do with him, within a decent distance, but would like to keep the vacation as quite and relaxing as possible. I want my son to get use to the outdoors at a young age and get as much experience young as possible to make sure he is not a basement dweller. My wife would like to see waterfalls, mountains, "attraction style" things, etc while I would like to just hop in the car and drive down some dirt roads and see what we find. We have never been to VT but have spend sometime in northern new hampshire and maine. Just looking for a change of pace.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Where in VT?

Some swear by the Teddy Bear Factory tour and the Ben and Jerry's tour. If your into that kind of stuff. There are plenty of hiking trails and parks to wander through, It all depends on where you'll be and how far your willing to drive. There is always Burlington, and the Lake Champlain area/region. The Shelburne Museum if fucking phenomenal if you like that type of museum. They have (or had) a VT firearms exhibit there when I swung through it about a month ago. You can easily spend all day in that museum. There is Fort Ticongeroga and Crown Point on the NY side that are fun to wander around in, and they occasionally have reenactments at both locations. There was a decent kids friendly aquarium type attraction right in Burlington, its called Echo Lake Aquarium.

There is this link that has various kid friendly museums/attractions in VT.
http://www.vermontvacation.com/discover%20vermont/family%20friendly/kids%20museums%20-%20attractions.aspx
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
a former new britain firefighter and his wife own this, great people ive known for years

its their retirement job

http://www.candlelightbandb.com/
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
i spend a lot of time in vt for snowmobiling and vacations. looking to buy a place soon . one thing ive learned over the years is October is horrible time to go to Vermont. all the leaf peepers drive prices way up and make it a booking nightmare. usually the nice places are booked up months in advance if not farther out .

how far north are you willing to travel?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
We're not sure where we will be staying yet. It kind of all depends on the location of everything we're looking for, unfortunately we be looking for the best of "both worlds". I'm looking for a nice remote quite place where I can sit by the fire at night with no light pollution or close neighbors and hang out with some whiskey but during the day we would lke to do things like ben and jerry's,  and some site seeing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i spend a lot of time in vt for snowmobiling and vacations. looking to buy a place soon . one thing ive learned over the years is October is horrible time to go to Vermont. all the leaf peepers drive prices way up and make it a booking nightmare. usually the nice places are booked up months in advance if not farther out .

View Quote

When I was a kind I spent alot of time in the berlin/north conway, NH/ fryeburg, ME area so distance is not too much of a factor but I would like to keep the drive under 5-6 hours if possible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're not sure where we will be staying yet. It kind of all depends on the location of everything we're looking for, unfortunately we be looking for the best of "both worlds". I'm looking for a nice remote quite place where I can sit by the fire at night with no light pollution or close neighbors and hang out with some whiskey but during the day we would lke to do things like ben and jerry's,  and some site seeing.
View Quote

the west side of vt near waterbury where ben and jerry is located has some decent ski resorts that have cabins but the prices are through the roof. cabins are in the 2500$ for the week range.

unfortunately northern vt has its share of dumps. so if your willing to handle a hotel, i recommend the comfort in in st johnsbury. its fairly new and modern and affordable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I was a kind I spent alot of time in the berlin/north conway, NH/ fryeburg, ME area so distance is not too much of a factor but I would like to keep the drive under 5-6 hours if possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can get to Canada on 91 north in 4.5 hours from southern ct so anywhere is under 5.5 hours really
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

you can get to Canada on 91 north in 4.5 hours from southern ct so anywhere is under 5.5 hours really
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha thanks, I didn't think you could drive through VT that quickly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
we stayed here once. very nice but too expensive .

here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top