Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2014 9:10:22 AM EDT
Just sold a pre ban AR to an FFL in CT,asked if he wanted a MAK90.He said there was an arrest recently of a guy caught in possession of one that he legally bought at his store.Anybody here of this and have more details?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
havent heard anything
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope haven't heard of it. Might help if you let us know the store name
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#3]
No did not hear of it. Was just at Delta Arsenal on Thursday. They had a couple pre ban AKs on the shelf. I just "won" an auction for one on Gunbroker and Delta faxed the FFL info to the seller on Saturday for me. Sounds like BS or urban legend.

How much for the MAK90?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Rather not name the shop,but it's in the Seymour area.Not BS,this guy sold the gun and the new owner was seen shooting it and was arrested.Guess the cops said AK's were not legal and now the guy is in deep shit.My buddy had the MAK 90 I was telling him about,sold now though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rather not name the shop,but it's in the Seymour area.Not BS,this guy sold the gun and the new owner was seen shooting it and was arrested.Guess the cops said AK's were not legal and now the guy is in deep shit.My buddy had the MAK 90 I was telling him about,sold now though.
View Quote

cant sell post ban AKs

shops are selling unconvereted saigas though, which are still legal, and some cops, well, dont know the law believe it or not

we would have seen this arrest all over the news if true in big headlines, big fat white guy arrested for uber dangerous assault weapon that shoots full auto and all that nonsense
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

cant sell post ban AKs

shops are selling unconvereted saigas though, which are still legal, and some cops, well, dont know the law believe it or not

we would have seen this arrest all over the news if true in big headlines, big fat white guy arrested for uber dangerous assault weapon that shoots full auto and all that nonsense
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cant sell post ban AKs

Yup. To me it sounds like he had a post ban if there is any truth to this. Any "assault weapons" arrest make serious headlines here so Malloy can fluff his feathers. How much are you looking to get?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Pretty much anyone arrested with an AK-47 would have made the news. The media orgasms over reporting on AK-47's. Last news story I heard about someone in CT being arrested for an AK-47 was the guy arrested for making threats against Malloy in 2013.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, with how confusing this POS law is, and lack of local PDs training on it, I have no doubt people will get busted for pre-bans.  I can see the exchange now: "But officer, it is a pre-ban"!  Officer: "Pre-what? That is an AK, and it is banned.  You have the right to remain silent...."

But, who knows what the real story is.  The store owner may have heard the story just as he told it, but anti-gun rumors catch on like wildfire.  If you can find out what town it happened in, check the police blotter.  Also, maybe the guy did get arrested, but then the pre-ban exemption confirmed, and it ended there. Remember, how is a cop to know that a MAK-90 is pre-ban?  You cant get any documentation.  Sure, some research will show that Bush banned the import of AWs in 89, and Clinton did the same for the PC versions of Chinese rifles so they are all pre-ban.  However, the cop on patrol who is not a military gun guy would have absolutely no clue about any of this.

I am sure the real story will come out sooner or later!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would really appreciate it if you could email me some details. I would like to try to see what type of information I can find The name of the shop would be great, but the town where the arrest supposedly occurred (and the arresting agency, if not a town force e.g. ENCONN, CSP, etc...) could be useful, if you didn't want to divulge the information about the shop.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't be many gun stores are in Seymour. Probably find out this week being a long weekend, the PD probably didn't do a press release or maybe there was a problem of where/how he was shooting it.  Too many variables.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Gun store?

Seymour area?

Bullshit?

Must be Valley Firearms
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Mitz a&a  ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a second guess at a shop in that area.  I have heard a few tails from these folks that made me skeptical.  

Nice guys and good shop but some wild stories.  The only reason I haven't totally discounted them is because we live where we live.  Although probably not accurate, still not surprising if these things did occur here in CT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys with MAK's, other preban AK's, or other preban rifles with no manufacture letters......make sure you keep your DESP (3?) purchase form with the rifle whenever you go out with it.  To show you bought it from a dealer legally.  It might not be the proof they need, but its something, and IMO something is better than nothing.

I keep copies of these forms for my prebans, with my Certs, and my NFA forms in ziplock bag in my range bag at all times.  As far as the MAK 90's go, this is really the only "proof" we can get.  The proof lies in the fact that a legal gun store allowed the rifle to come into the state and the state gave a transfer number allowing you to take possession.  If they were illegal the state wouldnt have done this.  So if the PO sees this form they should understand......I should stress SHOULD
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Think what the OP said in the opening.  The shop sold it to a guy and this buyer got arrested.  Wouldn't the shop have been in hot water for selling it to him then?

Maybe there is a piece to this story that we don't know.  Perhaps it has less to do with it being a MAK 90 and more to do with what the guy was doing with or how it was transported.  

I also agree if it had happened it would have been all over the news.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Think what the OP said in the opening.  The shop sold it to a guy and this buyer got arrested.  Wouldn't the shop have been in hot water for selling it to him then?
View Quote

Without more information its all just speculation.  There could be any number of reasons why the shop wasn't busted if this guy was really arrested for an illegal peban AK purchased post 4/4/13. If the OP's story is true, because it hasn't made the news perhaps the charges were dropped in which case the gun shop wouldn't have been charged. Or maybe the case is still be investigated and charges are pending against the gun shop. Who knows in the absence of any real information other than the OP's story.

Speculation time. If someone really was arrested and convicted for having an illegal preban AK-47 purchased legally post 4/4/13 from a gun shop then such a conviction presents a conflict with DESPP's opinion on prebans. Such a conflict opens up (which some of us have said) a huge can of legal worms for the state and for DESPP in particular.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe there is a piece to this story that we don't know.  Perhaps it has less to do with it being a MAK 90 and more to do with what the guy was doing with or how it was transported.  

I also agree if it had happened it would have been all over the news.
View Quote

Oh yea I'm calling BS on the story haha, but I just think that what I wrote above should help some of you guys sleep better at night  although I'm sure most of you guys are already doing keeping these forms as well.

But yea the shop would have to be at fault if it was true......and if this was the case WE would have certainly heard about it.

ETA: like sbhaven said above.....DESPP is giving transfer numbers out for these rifles.......thats all the proof anyone needs....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
DESPP is giving transfer numbers out for these rifles.......thats all the proof anyone needs....
View Quote

One would think so. The problem (if it is a problem) as I understand it is the state doesn't actually know what the firearm is (model/make/date of manufacture/serial number/etc.) when the gun shop/FFL makes the call for the sales authorization number. Its not until the state receives the DPS-3-C do they know exactly what firearm was transferred.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Are the magazines that come with a pre-ban rifle also preban?  Or are you stuck with ten round mags for them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
What was he doing with the gun?

The  new law defined narrow circumstances where you may, or may not possess your legally owned register assault rifle, or pre-ban assault rifle.

Most people get arrested for this stuff by being complete utter retards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are the magazines that come with a pre-ban rifle also preban?  Or are you stuck with ten round mags for them?
View Quote

Magazines don't matter.  Either buy one with a 10 rd mag or when it comes into the FFL they won't let you keep anything larger.  
You can then buy larger mags that are pinned (rivet) to only accept 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Is was Mitz A&A and it was NOT a MAK90... I was told that someone was arrested outside the store with a preban AR15. Officer claimed there is no such thing as a preban AR15. I was also told that the rifle was loaded.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is was Mitz A&A and it was NOT a MAK90... I was told that someone was arrested outside the store with a preban AR15. Officer claimed there is no such thing as a preban AR15. I was also told that the rifle was loaded.
View Quote

I heard the AR-15 was in the trunk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#24]
You are correct... I was told exactly that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting! I know both owners/ dealers personally and I have worked for one of them. Both are retired Leo's and are in the up and up. Will have to make a trip up and see them
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#27]
What a pile of shit.  Officer don't know?  They will soon all know.  Dessp needs to put out a letter....and guys need to carry that letter that the commissioner sent out  saying pre94 are ok.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#29]
So is the old commissioners letter bull shit now?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
How long ago did all this go down?  Still surprised it wasn't blabbered around, even if the charges did get dropped.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We now have a different commissioner and she is rabidly anti-gun, not sure how well that would play out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a pile of shit.  Officer don't know?  They will soon all know.  Dessp needs to put out a letter....and guys need to carry that letter that the commissioner sent out  saying pre94 are ok.

We now have a different commissioner and she is rabidly anti-gun, not sure how well that would play out.

Haha that reminded me of that episode of seinfeld when kramer calls jerry a rabid anti dentite
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He used a Saiga 12
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard the AR-15 was in the trunk.

He used a Saiga 12

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I am trying to work on getting some details. I'll let you know when I hear back
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
all speculation, went from Mak90 to Ar15 and probably more to come
until someone actually talks to the store owner or person who was arrested, this will continue
on a separate note, remember there was a change of personnel in the weapons unit and commish, so with that could be the dreaded "interpretation"
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
The change happened a while back though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#36]
The gun shop owner told me MAK90,as that's what I could have sold him.Said he will not touch them right now.I sold him the AR weeks ago,not sure when the AK arrest happened?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
all speculation, went from Mak90 to Ar15 and probably more to come
until someone actually talks to the store owner or person who was arrested, this will continue
on a separate note, remember there was a change of personnel in the weapons unit and commish, so with that could be the dreaded "interpretation"
View Quote

I'm trying to get information from the PD, including some very specific information. If necessary, I will submit a records request with the PD and Judicial Branch to get the information that I am seeking, or at least as much of it as possible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No such thing as "preban" magazines. Unless you had the so called LCM prior to 4/4/13 and declared them, your out of luck, legally, and you stuck with ten rounders. Unless you a member of the exempted class who can buy so called LCMs and AWs. All guns sold now that include a detachable magazine the magazine is supposed to be ten rounds or less. One also is supposed to show the relevant permit/certificate when buying magazines too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is also the preban PDF from despp itself in addition to the former comish's letter.
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/pre-ban_assault_weapons.pdf
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There is also the preban PDF from despp itself in addition to the former comish's letter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to find that one then.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I need to find that one then.
View Quote

I added a link to it in my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Bring it !
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Keep that letter sbhaven linked with your prebans also guys
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bring it !
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saved
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bring it !
View Quote

Precisely. If it is true that someone got arrested for the sole reason of having a so called illegal preban that was previously purchased legally from a gun store, while it sucks for the person arrested. it is actually a good thing for all of us gun owenrs, especially if the person arrested fights the charges provided the charges are not dropped. DESPP has made their opinion on prebans and banned by name prebans well known. They have sowed confusion between interpretation of the law and the actual technical wording of the law.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Keep that letter sbhaven linked with your prebans also guys
View Quote

Just for shits and giggles, here are all the links together. First those from DESPP that redefine what their opinion on what they consider "prebans". Then the Office of Legislative Research's opinion on "prebans" that differs from DESPP's opinion. And finally CT Carry's request for a " Declaratory ruling" on certain portions of the gun laws post 4/4/13 including "prebans".

DESPP PDF on Pre-Ban Assault Weapons: http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/firearms/pre-ban_assault_weapons.pdf

From CCDL, a letter from attorney David Clough to the Commissioner [at that time] of Public Safety Reuben Bradford: http://ccdl.us/blog/uploads/2013/10/Clough2Reuben.pdf
And Commissioner [at that time] of Public Safety Reuben Bradford response to that letter: http://ccdl.us/blog/uploads/2013/10/Clough-David-PA-13-220.pdf

From the Office of Legislative Research, their OLR report that offers a different opinion on what is considered a "preban": http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/pdf/2013-R-0453.pdf

CT Carry's request for "Declaratory ruling" on a portion of the current laws among which includes "prebans": http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/01aa10aa-b3de-44d4-bca7-8d6799564162
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The gun shop owner told me MAK90,as that's what I could have sold him.Said he will not touch them right now.I sold him the AR weeks ago,not sure when the AK arrest happened?
View Quote

Just an FYI delta arsenal in wallingford and hoffmans guns in newington with both accept and transfer a mak 90 under their FFL
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I believe the shop in question has been guilty of a lot of durp in the past. Starting false rumors on Facebook as well. I personally will
not be patronizing that store.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Just an FYI delta arsenal in wallingford and hoffmans guns in newington with both accept and transfer a mak 90 under their FFL
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So does JoJo's.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top