Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:36:11 AM EDT
There is a thread in GD about it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1440951_Maine_CCW_holders_prepare_to_have_your_info_published.html

Apparently, the letter below has been sent to most of the PDs in the state.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Richard J. Warren Publisher
[email protected]

Todd Benoit Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
[email protected]

Jennifer Holmes Director of Human Resources
[email protected]

James Hayes Director of Operations
[email protected]

Timothy Reynolds Director of Finance
[email protected]

Elizabeth Hansen Dir. of Corporate Communications & PR
[email protected]

Jeanne Luetjen Executive Assistant
[email protected]

Sales & Marketing - Administration

Towle Tompkins
Director of Sales and Marketing
[email protected]

Brian Cotlar
Assistant Director of Sales
[email protected]

Beth Grant
Sales Manager
[email protected]

Keith Englehart
National/Major Accounts Sales Manager
[email protected]

Todd McLeod
Call Center /Classified Sales Manager
[email protected]

Samuel Wood
Creative Services Team Leader
[email protected]

Bridgit Cayer
Creative Services Team Leader
[email protected]

Martha Ward
Digital Product Manager
[email protected]

Tonya Pickering
Administration Manager
[email protected]

Sales

Marydale Abernathy
Multimedia Sales Consultant
[email protected]

Mark Bergelin
[email protected]

John Browning
Sales Assistant
[email protected]

Laurie Cates
[email protected]

Andrew Constantine
National/Major Accounts Sales Assistant
[email protected]

Andrew Gould
[email protected]

Linda Hayes
[email protected]

Kristin Hurd
Advertising Assistant
[email protected]

Heidi Martin
Advertising Assistant
[email protected]

Barbara Mower
Advertising Assistant
[email protected]

Jeff Orcutt
[email protected]

Heidi Stewart
[email protected]

Laurie Trifoso
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting the editors contact information. I hope these idiots go bankrupt.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You are Welcome. I have also posted on their FB page. They delete, I repost.. now more are doing the same.

They have come back to say they have no plans to publish, BUT that is BS and that information cannot be trusted in their hands

The Bangor Daily News The Bangor Daily News has requested the records of concealed weapons permits in Maine as part of two-year long reporting projects on domestic violence and drug abuse.

It had always been the BDN’s intent to request this information to support our reporting projects. However, the introduction of legislation to remove these permits from public records accelerated our timeline in doing so.

The BDN has no intention to release this information publicly. We intend to use this information, along with other information we are gathering, to analyze possible correlations and trends relevant to our reporting projects.

For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 990-8177.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
We're burning them up over in GD...

You Maine folks have friends down south
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Governor LePage's Response

Statement of Governor LePage On Concealed Weapons Permits Information

February 14, 2013

For Immediate Release: Thursday, Feb. 14
Contact: Adrienne Bennett, Communications Director (207) 287-2531

AUGUSTA – Governor Paul R. LePage released today the following statement regarding news that the Bangor Daily News is requesting the names and addresses of concealed weapons permit holders from law enforcement agencies across the state:

“If newspapers would like to know who has concealed weapons permits, then they should know the Governor has his. I have serious concerns that BDN’s request will incite fear among gun owners and non-gun owners alike regarding their safety. There is no reason why these records should be public and I encourage the Legislature to act quickly to make this personal information confidential.

As I have said, the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms will not be questioned while I am Governor. That is especially true for those who respect the law enough to go through the process of obtaining a permit to carry concealed.”

too bad Malloy does not stand behind his law abiding citizens.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just saw this and was going to post this. I think the best response to this is to get their address, and personal info and just let them know we will put their information on google earth. See how they like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
start gathering the data...just hold off on posting for now. if they get the data, then it's in fair play.

fyi: someone in the GD thread has a few of them already...

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
start gathering the data...just hold off on posting for now. if they get the data, then it's in fair play.

This.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Screw waiting. They asked for a fight, so a fight is what they get.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I called up Susan Young and talked with her. She claims that they won't be publishing the info, and assured me that they will be limiting access to it, and keeping it secure. I told her that I wasn't very happy with them having it in general, never mind publishing. I suggested that maybe she could just request numbers of CCW permit holders in each town, etc, and get their info just from that, no names and address. She didn't seem very keen on that idea. I guess their phones have been ringing all day long though.

She and some other reporter type there were willing to listen to me, so feel free to call them up, you should be able to voice your objections directly to a person. I like speaking to people on issues like this, I know I got my point across, unlike an email message that can be easily deleted.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The bullet is mightier than the pen?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
My plan is to email all the names on the list.

Let them know that all the names on that list will be posted online in Google Streetview format.

Tell them that what they is doing is wrong and unnecessary and they are barking up the wrong tree.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw a clip about this on the 10:00 news. As usual, the governor is not amused.  That man has zero tolerance for idiots.  The information is already available to the public anyway, if they really wanted it. Unfortunately the only people that will benefit are the criminals. Once again.....

I will be contacting the BDN tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't the BDN owned by the husband of one of ME's democrat congressional reps?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My plan is to email all the names on the list.

Let them know that all the names on that list will be posted online in Google Streetview format.

Tell them that what they is doing is wrong and unnecessary and they are barking up the wrong tree.

I already FB'd the contact list.  Hope it spreads all over the place.  The home number link on pg 4 of the GD for the publisher Richard J. Warren is a good number so if all this is keeping you up at night and you can't sleep around 2:00AM I'm sure he'd like to hear from you.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Their Facebook page is getting bombed  by posts fromm2nd amendment supporters, it's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#17]
those assholes...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We're burning them up over in GD...

You Maine folks have friends down south

God bless you

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Good Job Everyone!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Outstanding. Thank you all

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#23]
'spose they had a troll on here who saw what the ramifications would have been?

Thank you everyone!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#24]
WTF!!!!
Just got this from SAM:  

Sportsman's Alliance of Maine
205 Church Hill Road, Suite 1, Augusta, ME  04330
SAM Members:

The crisis is not over!  A second entity that refuses to identify itself called "Celebration Connection" has asked for the same information as the Bangor Daily News. This crisis is even more dangerous than the first because they refuse to identify who they are.

The only way to stop them is to have the Legislature act as soon as possible.  Contact your legislator and encourage them to bring this issue to the floor immediately.  Find your legislator here.

Contact the Governor's office 287-3531 or via email and tell them Thank You for your support and please do all you can to encourage the Legislature to act as soon as possible with Rep. Corey Wilson's bill, LD 345 "An Act To Ensure the Confidentiality of Concealed Weapons Permit Holder Information"

Thank you for all your support and hands on effort - we can't win this battle without our members' help!

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/15/politics/lepage-seeks-emergency-block-on-release-of-concealed-weapons-permit-holders-info/

BREAKING: LEPAGE SUBMITS EMERGENCY LEGISLATION TO BLOCK RELEASE OF CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT HOLDERS INFORMATION.

AUGUSTA – In a bipartisan effort to ensure safety for all Mainers, Governor Paul R. LePage submitted an emergency bill to temporarily block the release of concealed firearms permit holders’ names, addresses and dates of birth to the public. The legislation, if passed as an emergency measure, is in response to information requests received by law enforcement agencies across the state.

The Legislature could enact the emergency legislation, which is being sponsored by Assistant Majority Leader, Senator Troy Jackson, as early as Tuesday of next week. This would provide immediate protection for law-abiding concealed weapon permit holders while providing the Legislature time to properly consider Representative Corey Wilson’s bill (LD 345), which would make this information permanently private.

“We must take immediate action to protect Mainers’ personal information, while allowing debate on Representative Wilson’s bill to proceed on the merits,” said Governor LePage. “I hope the Legislature will act quickly to pass this bill and put the concerns of law-abiding Mainers at ease.”

Emergency legislation, after enactment by the Legislature, takes effect immediately upon signature by the Governor. Additionally, a bill may be engrossed without reference to a committee under suspension of the Joint Rules. That means that the bill goes directly to the floor of the appropriate body for discussion and action. Engrossing without reference usually occurs when the bill is of an emergency nature and the time to go through the public hearing process is not available.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/15/politics/lepage-seeks-emergency-block-on-release-of-concealed-weapons-permit-holders-info/

A rather negative segment on the local Portland channel 6 news this evening.    Unless I misunderstood them, they were talking about it being a bad idea to not have this info public.
Edit:  This was on their political forum with one Dem and one Repub.  Both disclosed that they wrote columns for the BDN and both said they did not understand the uproar.  They urged caution in passing any law that protected CCW identities.
They sure are making it harder for us to be "responsible" gun owners.  How are we to keep these out of the wrong hands if we allow everyone on earth to know where they cane be got?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck them too them. Time to make them aware they are in Maine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#28]
A much better story on this mess at 11PM on channel 6.  
This time they are actually taking the issue more seriously as they admit nobody knows who the Celebrate group is.  The BDN issue is one thing, but I think this mysterious second request took a lot of folks in the local media by surprise, just like it did here at ARFcom.  Looks like they needed a day to wrap their heads around it to understand the basics of what was happening.  It sure will be interesting to see who ends up being behind it.  We may never know.
Good work here on keeping pressure on and getting a least some answers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
 They urged caution in passing any law that protected CCW identities.

They can urge all they want. They're barking up the wrong tree. LePage has made his position on this issue crystal clear and he is determined to do something about it. I also believe he has the support on this issue to put it to bed. Maine may be full of liberal city dwellers, but its become obvious to me after the last two months that we have alot of pro gun reps in the state govt, and alot of them are dems. I knew Governor LePage was a proponent of the second ammendment, but over the last few weeks he has really surprised me with how outspoken he has been about gun control. You can tell by his comments that he's starting to get aggrevated with all this crap. He's almost due for another public outburst that will make the libs want to crucify him. Again..

I don't know if you guys saw the article awhile back where he was questioned about what should be done with Maine's gun laws, but his answer was "We need to get rid of them." Then he rebutted with" well except for the laws preventing criminals and the mentally ill from obtaining guns."  He also wrote a very blunt letter to VP Biden to "let him know where Maine stands on any future gun control legislation" .The guy is definately on our side and he doesn't take kindly to getting pushed around by anyone. We need more common sense politicians like him.

And we shouldn't be just writing letters to these guys telling them that we disapprove of this bill or that bill, or the printing of this information or those records.  We should all be writing letters to Lepage right now thanking him for everything he is doing, has done, and will continue to do for Maine gun owners. If Baldacci or King were in control we could be singing a different tune right now. We're definately lucky to have him as our governor while all this shit is going on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#30]
LePage just signed an emergency bill, overwhelmingly passed to boot!  It's only temporary, but at least it's a start!
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LePage just signed an emergency bill, overwhelmingly passed to boot!  It's only temporary, but at least it's a start!

Good news.
Now pound the crap out of this poll.. Cold link:     http://www.pressherald.com/politics/Maine-Legislature-takes-up-concealed-carry-measure-.html?utm_source=Portland+Press+Herald+Poll&utm_campaign=6.27.12+mailing&utm_medium=email
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top