Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2011 8:56:15 AM EDT
From reading on here:

NOT GUN FRIENDLY
HIGH AS HELL TAXES
HOUSING COSTS THROUGH THE ROOF
SURROUNDED BY DEMS

I got a job offer with the same company I currently am employed with.  It is a promotion, but I am not sure I will get a salary increase to cover the increased costs of moving to CT.    I looked online and from where I am now (KS), it tells me I need a 25% increase in pay to just to stay even.  True?  Other than the joy of getting a promotion, WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS???  

I have lived in KS,CO, MI, ND, WI, and AL.  I would like to experience the East Coast, but I don't think it is worth it.  

Ok wise and powerful hive...........give me something.

EDIT to OP I also heard today there is a chance I can get a spot in Maine.  Please give me some advice on that as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
im trying to convince myself to stay, ha
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Well any weapon you have that doesn't meet CT law you have to make compliant or get rid of. Taxes suck economy sucks no really good place to shoot.Don't move here
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]

where are you moving from? the only way i'd say "move to CT" is if you live in one of the few states that are worse on taxes, legislation, guns, political compass, etc.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like to convince you so that we might have another one on our side to vote the Dem's out, but that would be a shitty thing to do to you. That's a pipe dream that will never come to fruition.

I can't think of one thing that CT has to offer over any other free state, not one.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Where in CT are you going to move to?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Great.  That is what I was afraid of.  I may not have a choice in the matter.  The project I am on is ending soon and I need somewhere to call home.  One positive note is that I will have my family with me full time if I do settle down in CT.  Right now I fly home every weekend.   If our office was closer to a border state I would even look at that, but WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STATE!!!!!

I am going to really have to think about this.  Thanks everyone.  At least I can leave my guns in MI with my father so he can enjoy them.   I have nothing that is legal in CT in terms of my AR's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Turn the promotion down- everyone who is middle class that i know of is trying to get out of here- me included. The gov here not only increased our income tax but made it retroactive to 01jan so we are getting double taken from our pay. Unions got a sweetheart deal here and no decrease to hood rat bennies. Nevermind the continued assault on gun rights etc.

My advice is stay away unless its for a couple of years and they increase your pay 50%
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Our office is located in Wallingford.  Anywhere around there I would guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Family is the only reason I'm still in CT.  It is the most compelling reason to live anywhere and worth some compromises in my opinion.  If you choose to move here, you will find yourself perrenially frustrated with any number of items including taxes, housing prices and gun laws.  

If moving behind enemy lines is worth having family full-time, than go for it.   It remains so for me and I suspect many others here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, at least if you end up in that area you'll be close to Blue Trail, one of the few public outdoor ranges in the state.  Oh, and one of the 2 Sonic's in the state as well!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, at least if you end up in that area you'll be close to Blue Trail, one of the few public outdoor ranges in the state.  Oh, and one of the 2 Sonic's in the state as well!

See some reasons to look forward to.  I will keep everyone up to date plus I may need some "normal" people to have a beer or two with.  I am afraid CT may drive me to drink.   One more thing, I am closer to FENWAY if I go. (One of my wife's reasons on our list of do or do not move). GO RED SOX!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See some reasons to look forward to.  I will keep everyone up to date plus I may need some "normal" people to have a beer or two with.  I am afraid CT may drive me to drink.   One more thing, I am closer to FENWAY if I go. (One of my wife's reasons on our list of do or do not move). GO RED SOX!!

Once you get out of Fairfield County you are no longer in Yankees territory.  Go Yankees!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice place if you can afford it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Family is the only reason I'm still in CT.  It is the most compelling reason to live anywhere and worth some compromises in my opinion.  If you choose to move here, you will find yourself perrenially frustrated with any number of items including taxes, housing prices and gun laws.  

If moving behind enemy lines is worth having family full-time, than go for it.   It remains so for me and I suspect many others here.

Ill +1 this.

Although some study ranked CT in the top 3 states in the nation for the lowest moral hahaha. JFYI

Wallingford is not bad, there are worst places to live in CT, + they have a sweet ass kart track down there!

GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From reading on here:

NOT GUN FRIENDLY
HIGH AS HELL TAXES
SURROUNDED BY DEMS

I got a job offer with the same company I currently am employed with.  It is a promotion, but I am not sure I will get a salary increase to cover the increased costs of moving to CT.    I looked online and from where I am now (KS), it tells me I need a 25% increase in pay to just to stay even.  True?  Other than the joy of getting a promotion, WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS???  

I have lived in KS,CO, MI, ND, WI, and AL.  I would like to experience the East Coast, but I don't think it is worth it.  

Can you please post a link to whatever website you were using?

And oh yeah- don't move here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
It has its attractions.

It has a much better coastline than KS does.  

There are some beautiful towns and villages, if you can afford them.

There are some excellent public school districts (again, if you can afford to live in those towns).

There are some great private schools.

It's a short drive to freedom in NH and VT (but you have to go through MA to get there).

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Coming from NY, I love CT....
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been out that way...KS. If you're in the city of KC, yeah CT will be an improvent in some respects as far as the crime, etc. The night life, steak houses, etc is generally better in KC. If you're used to Lawrence and some of the "entertaining" college towns, you may be a little disappointed.

Some of it depends on your cash flow. If you're getting a 10k raise...may not be such a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I will not give you any reasons to move here. NONE. You have already heard the reasons not to...

IF it weren't for my family...I would be gone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice place if you can afford it.

This is it in a nutshell.  If you can afford to live in a nice area away from the cities, it's a whole different experience.  Yes, the state is still effed up, but at least your immediate area doesn't have to be.  I lived in Hamden (near New Haven) up until a month ago and if we had to do it again, we would have lived further away from that mess.

Cost of living is very high, so be sure to do the appropriate calculations so that you're not surprised.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I wish I could go against what others have said here.  I can't, I just can't

I love this state.  Lived here my whole life.  It is now fucked up beyond comprehension.

I'm stuck, I can never leave,  Save yourself if you can.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't live anywhere else, but then no one else would take me anyways.

This is my home and always will be.  I am saddened to see the direction the state is moving in.  I don't know what we can do to turn it around.  We have so much to offer as a state, but we have a large percentage of folks dragging us down.  I will stay on this ship for as long as it stays afloat.......or I will go down with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:07:48 AM EDT
[#24]
My job forced me here as well.  I was lucky and set up tent across the border in RI.   It's still a toss up for who's gun laws are worse.  

RI, yes on AWB guns but NO on Cans and SBR's.  CT, No AWB's but yes on Cans and SBR's.   ......
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
From reading on here:

NOT GUN FRIENDLY
HIGH AS HELL TAXES
SURROUNDED BY DEMS

Can you please post a link to whatever website you were using?

And oh yeah- don't move here.

I used two to comfirm it CNN Money and Salary.com

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:08:06 AM EDT
[#26]
On the gun laws, they can change.  Just look at WI.  The got their CCW passed this year.  Now there is only one state left and I have no reason to go to IL.   I am also thinking about Maine.  I think I am going to change my OP to include Maine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On the gun laws, they can change.  Just look at WI.  The got their CCW passed this year.  Now there is only one state left and I have no reason to go to IL.   I am also thinking about Maine.  I think I am going to change my OP to include Maine.

I wouldn't go to Maine, too damn cold.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't go to Maine, too damn cold.

If you saw the previous places I have lived, the cold does not bother me.  In ND, I saw -42 straight temp.   I don't care who you are that is cold.  Past 20 below you really can't tell the difference though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#29]
We've got a couple good sandwich shops...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Unless you are some weird paul bunyan survuvalist, smuggle weed out of quebec, or a somalian refugee, forget maine.

CT has the best and worst of all four seasons.  Sometimes all in the same week.

CT still has an economy.  Maine is even worse when it comes to business taxes and regulation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is that like a grinder shop?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am also thinking about Maine.  I think I am going to change my OP to include Maine.

I love it here...depending on where you live in the state it can feel like you are in the "city" or like you are at the edge of the universe. What industry are you in and/or what area would you be living in?

Pros:
Great people
Excellent gun laws
Great state if you like the outdoors
We actually have all four seasons (summer, fall, winter, and mud)

Cons:
High overall tax burden (property taxes can vary a lot ou so be sure to look around)
Tourists can make the southern part of the state hard to take in the summer months
Black flies can make the central/northern part of the state hard to take in the summer months
Collins and Snowe

Overall, I love it here.
As far as gun stuff goes we are NFA friendly, have great carry laws, lots of places to go shooting/hunting/fishing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Given those 2 choices it would be no contest for me, Maine all the way!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that like a grinder shop?

Alright, you caught me, I'm not originally from around these parts...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am also thinking about Maine.  I think I am going to change my OP to include Maine.

I love it here...depending on where you live in the state it can feel like you are in the "city" or like you are at the edge of the universe. What industry are you in and/or what area would you be living in?Pros:
Great people
Excellent gun laws

Cons:
High overall tax burden (property taxes can vary a lot ou so be sure to look around)
Tourists can make the southern part of the state hard to take in the summer months
Black flies can make the central/northern part of the state hard to take in the summer months
Collins and Snowe

Overall, I love it here.
As far as gun stuff goes we are NFA friendly, have great carry laws, lots of places to go shooting/hunting/fishing.

Our office is about 45 min north of Portland.  I am in the engineering field.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Going to build destroyers for the Navy?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nope try again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope try again.

Power grid / transmission.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#39]
C'mon up. My house is for sale and I'm just about 45min north of Portland.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#40]
HIgh energy and fuel cost.
Last winter was the most brutal in my memory.

I lived here all my life, Im sorry CTbuilder but I cant hang here and save the ship with you. I have more friends and family in Florida now so, away we go.

My house can be had, low taxes, good schools, I just redid the kitchen, am doing the deck now. Bathrooms next. Then SEEYA!

It seems the whole state is being run by SEIU.

Sorry. Wallingford is a good town, good schools, near I91, not far from New Haven or Hartford. Boston 2 hrs, NYC 2 hrs.

Go METS! Or NOT.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love it here...depending on where you live in the state it can feel like you are in the "city" or like you are at the edge of the universe. What industry are you in and/or what area would you be living in?Pros:
Great people
Excellent gun laws

Cons:
Collins and Snowe

Overall, I love it here.

Our office is about 45 min north of Portland.  I am in the engineering field.

General Dynamics? I grew up about 45 minutes north of Portland...are you considering the mid-coast region (Bath / Brunswick) or the Lewiston / Auburn area?
Drop me a line via PM if you don't want to talk about it in the forum.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Go to Maine. This state sucks as well as our Governor Malloy. I'm moving shortly f'n taxes. Highest in the counrty...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I have lived in Mass,CT amd Maine.While the taxes here in Maine could be improved upon overall its head and shouders above CT and Mass.
I grew up in Gloucester Mass,love the region but the politics became unbearable.Moving to Maine after a stint in the service(CT) was the best move to make.
Lately I'm hopful that Maine will start to get some improvements with the election of LePage and a state senate and  house of reps that are more conservative than they have been in a long time.Some recent legislation has been enacted that wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise.Not perfect yet but looking better.
Bottom line,Maine.
One benifit is that the TAX FREE state of New Hampshire is a short drive away.Makes for a great deal of savings and you can hunt sundays in NH too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is my home and always will be.  I am saddened to see the direction the state is moving in.  I don't know what we can do to turn it around.  We have so much to offer as a state, but we have a large percentage of folks dragging us down.  I will stay on this ship for as long as it stays afloat.......or I will go down with it.

Maybe it was this statement.  Maybe it's all of the damn medication I take.  But in any event....RALLY NUTMEGGERS!!!!  To the bricfk oven!  It's where we will make our final stand.  Screw Maine...we have lobsters too!  Come to Connecticut by God.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
The last one is the back up pizza oven in case Millstone Three goes down.  That whole two is one, one is none thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it was this statement.  Maybe it's all of the damn medication I take.  But in any event....RALLY NUTMEGGERS!!!!  To the bricfk oven!  It's where we will make our final stand.  Screw Maine...we have lobsters too!  Come to Connecticut by God.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0025.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0022.jpg

Damn that looks good, I will defend your oven with my life

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0020.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0017.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0016.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0015.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0014.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0013-2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0011-4.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0010-4.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0006-8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0001-12.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven013.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven012.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven011.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven010.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven008.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven004.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizza03.jpg

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I feel... strangely... hungry, for some unknown reason.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#48]

< note my location.

i spent most of my life in CT, and you couldn't drag me away from ME and back to CT if you had to, it's no contest.

it really is a whole different world when you go to a state that doesn't legislate everything; the difference is palpable.

while ME has a fairly poor economy, if you have any marketable skills, or have a decent job lined up, you can do quite well here. a single guy making 70K can live like a king in a state where the average *family* income is 1/2 that.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#49]

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0025.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0022.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0020.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0017.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0016.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0015.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0014.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0013-2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0011-4.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0010-4.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0006-8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/DSCN0001-12.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven013.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven012.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven011.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven010.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven008.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizzaoven004.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/pizza03.jpg

Screw the range- the next CT get together is at your house.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top