Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 10:34:55 PM EDT
So night before last, around 2:49 am, I'm sitting in the living room watching TV when all the sudden there are 5-6 rapid gun shots right outside my house.  Close enough that I instantly went for cover and grabbed my gun.  I waited a few minutes until it seemed that the shooting was over and called 911.  I told the dispatcher that someone was shooting outside my house.  The dispatcher said he had officers on the way so I went to the window to make sure there was no one messing with our stuff.  Five minutes later I'm still waiting and no police.  Ten minutes later I'm getting irritated.  Twenty minutes later I'm mad.  Thirty minutes later I'm irate. Forty minutes later I'm just in disbelief.  A full hour later and still nothing.  And hour and half later, still nothing.  Two hours later I just go to bed pissed off that these are the people that are supposed to protect us.

There could have been some poor homeowner out there filled with lead from a home invasion.  There could have been any number of terrible things that happened.  I have no idea what happened still and neither do the cops because they couldn't be bothered to effing show up.  This isn't a high crime area, not even a medium crime area so when you get a shots fired call you would automatically assume it's serious.  Or at least that's what any decent PD would do but not Oklahoma City Police Department.

We've only ever had to call 911 three times over many years here.  First time was someone was trying to break down our front door.  They didn't get the door knocked down but they busted out the glass panel next to the door.  We called 911 immediately and they didn't show up for 45 minutes (had to call twice).  The cop blamed it one shift change like I'm going to believe that crap.  I was a LEO myself at one point, I know how it works.  

The second time I caught some guy hiding out on my front porch at night.  I confronted him (armed of course) and he said there were a bunch of guys in a car trying to find him.  He said they claimed he did something but he really didn't do it and blah, blah, blah.  Called 911 and right after that the guy bolted.  Probably around ten minutes later the cops show up and say they will look around.  It was cold as ice that night and the guy had no cold weather gear on so I dunno if they ever found him or he froze to death somewhere.

The third time was the situation up top where the cops never showed up at all.

So, why should you own a gun to protect yourself? Easy answer....because the cops can not be depended on to protect you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
a friend had a round come through a patio door, John Law was there PDQ.
didn't do anything but point to the projects, but they showed up.
off Britton between MacArthur and Rockwell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad you're okay.  Do you have security cameras?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the reasons I no longer live in Okc. I was getting ready for bed one night and I heard tires squeling and saw a car coming around the corner. About the center of the block shots were fired from the car and the car never slowed down.

I called 911 and they said they would send officers right out. This was back when you could still hear them on the scanners. I turned the scanner on, heard the call dispatched, one car enroute. I was living about a half a mile from Will Rogers briefing station at the time. I kept watching out the window and about five minutes later heard the scanner, the officer was on scene. He came around the corner, never stopped, went to the end of the block and turned the corner and then I heard the scanner "nothing found, 98".

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always thought that shots fired was a high priority call?

When I was with PCSO the last 4 years or so I was a fill in swing shift dispatcher, the regular swing shift dispatcher worked 5 days a week, one of her days off was Thursday, and I worked that shift every week, I treated any call with shots fired as high priority and Deputies were dispatched ASAP.  I can't even imagine not sending a car to shots fired even if the perps had already left, they need to find out if there was something going on, if so file a report, or at least take some notes about what happened in case something is found later.
View Quote
Was the same during my LEO time, shots fired was definitely priority.  I guess it's not in OKC.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, but it's something we've discussed.  It's been on our list but due the expense we've never done it.  I would definitely prefer to have them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, but it's something we've discussed.  It's been on our list but due the expense we've never done it.  I would definitely prefer to have them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you can afford them they are more valuable than a gun. I love mine. Plus they help you retrieve borrowed tools.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got a set of 8 cameras + DVR from Sam's for $350 back in January.  

It's nice having eyes all the way around my house (especially if something causes the dogs to bark, or someone is at the door, etc), being able to rewind and see what happened earlier, and view remotely when I am away.  You can even access the DVR remotely (smart phone or tablet) and review older footage.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's nice having eyes all the way around my house (especially if something causes the dogs to bark, or someone is at the door, etc), being able to rewind and see what happened earlier, and view remotely when I am away.  You can even access the DVR remotely (smart phone or tablet) and review older footage.
View Quote
Are they IR too? We are one of the few houses in our area that is very well lit but I think if we got cameras they would still have to have NV capability.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are they IR too? We are one of the few houses in our area that is very well lit but I think if we got cameras they would still have to have NV capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Its a Swann brand system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The ones I have are on sale for $399 now.  8 camera Swann system at Sam's

There is a great section on arfcom with many good threads about camera systems here

Obviously the Swann isn't top of the line in regards to PoE, IP, etc since it is analog, but the picture quality is sharp, it's easy to use/install, and for the price I don't think you can beat it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, they are the best huh...

I have lived here in OKC for 6 years now, and only once have called 911. That was to report the power line behind our apartments had just exploded, broke and one of the 2 ends sparked a brush fire which instantly turned into the whole side of the canal on opposite side being engulfed in flames...the fire was moving with the wind and going to a smaller space between the canal and one of the buildings...about 30 feet...anyways, dialed 911 and they answered and put me on hold...so i stood there on hold for like 4 mins before i hung up....

It was about 15 minutes later when the fire department showed up.

Glad me or no one else was being ass raped....
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The ones I have are on sale for $399 now.  8 camera Swann system at Sam's

There is a great section on arfcom with many good threads about camera systems here

Obviously the Swann isn't top of the line in regards to PoE, IP, etc since it is analog, but the picture quality is sharp, it's easy to use/install, and for the price I don't think you can beat it.
View Quote
Thanks, we're going to look into it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks, we're going to look into it.
View Quote
Becareful with kits like that...a good DVR will cost around that price at Sam's alone. When you buy pre-fab (per-se) kits, they cut quality somewhere. At the minimum make sure the DVR is quality and of the newer technology such as HD ready.

I have 8 cameras setup in and around my house and i did so piece mill from different companies. I originally purchased a canned set, and it turned out to be shit...so i purchased everything again but individually and through a couple online shops. Lorex FLIR is one of them and the other Great Wall Security. I think all the cameras come from China so what one company has for a camera, look elsewhere for the same camera but maybe a cheaper price...its like 3 factories in China make all of them.

Anyways...end story is, i have camera view all the way around my house as well as in the house, and took the road of hard knocks getting it to where it is now. If you would like any additional info on them let me know...picked up a few bits of knowledge along the way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Will do, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top