Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 4:19:15 AM EDT
Not exactly big news for ya'll but things are slow here in the hometown so here goes.

I know, I know.....no pictures, no proof.  Epic fail....fail whale....  No photo's? Doesn't Exist... all that stuff but I just haven't had much drive to do anything including take photos.  Still haven't taken a pic of the 10/22 I won or mounted the scope I got for it last month so no surprise I haven't taken a pic of this either.  However, I figured if I just sort of announced it that I'd catch hell for not posting a pic and maybe that would motivate me.  I dunno.  

So, this is a gun I've been trying to find for many, many years.  Too much money to order and buy brand new so the few times I've come across one I had no way of affording it.  In the meantime I did buy a blued, 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45Colt/.45acp.  Wasn't really what I wanted but a very, very good gun.  One of the requirements was a .45 Colt that would handle "Ruger Only" loads which the blued Blackhawk did even though I never shot any of it.  It's been a fantastic gun and it's really nice to be able to shoot .45acp which is obviously much cheaper than .45 Colt.  All that said it wasn't what I wanted, I wanted stainless instead of blued and a Bisley instead of the standard grip frame.  

So, I finally got it.  It's a stainless 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk Bisley Convertible .45Colt/.45acp .  I didn't think I was going to get lucky enough to actually find the convertible version but I did.  My first single action revolver was a stainless Ruger New Vaquero Bisley .45 Colt and I was hooked on both the Ruger single action .45 Colt and the Bisley grip.  I know a lot of folks don't like the Bisley grip frame and it took me at least an hour of fondling the Bisley and the plow handle before finally choosing the Bisley.  Anywho, it's a beautiful revolver and I got a pretty good deal on it.  The original owner said he had only two boxes of ammo though it and only carried it occasionally when hog hunting.  Not a scratch, scuff or smear on it, pretty close to brand new.

Since we (my sis) finally joined the Oklahoma City Gun Club I get to shoot a lot more.  I've always heard that the Bisley Blackhawk is much more comfortable to shoot warmer ammo out of so I'm thinking about loading up some .45 Colt that is on the low side of "Ruger Only" and shoot it out of my standard grip frame Blackhawk, my sister's large frame Old Vaquero 4.62" and the new Blackhawk Bisley to see how much difference there is.  Since I gotta sell my blued Blackhawk Convertible now to recoup the money spent on the Bisley I figured might as well try this experiment while I still have both guns.  In reality I probably won't do it but that's the plan.  Anywho, I'll post up pics one of these days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A pic of gun and you in your Cowboy action outfit, you r going to start shooting cowboy action, Yes?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A pic of gun and you in your Cowboy action outfit, you r going to start shooting cowboy action, Yes?
View Quote

You know Bree and I both have thought about that quite a bit, it looks really fun.  Actually getting involved though I don't know.  I've got a nice lightweight single action and a lever action Henry but I don't have a shotgun that qualifies and can't really afford one.  Time will tell I guess.  Do you shoot cowboy action?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If u do decide to try CAS I have a 97 setup for CAS. Cut down to 13" LOP with recoil pad at  -4 degrees an full race action job by Coyote Cap. You can see if you like a pump or a coach gun.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If u do decide to try CAS I have a 97 setup for CAS. Cut down to 13" LOP with recoil pad at  -4 degrees an full race action job by Coyote Cap. You can see if you like a pump or a coach gun.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.

I did get motivated enough to mount the scope base on my 10/22 and then mount the scope in the rings.  My first time using quick release scope rings but it seems like it's going to work pretty well in this case.  The carry case holds both halves of the 10/22 and the scope with the QD rings fits in the empty pocket.  Now when I want to use it I can just open it up, join both halves, clamp the scope on the receiver and it's off to the races.  Of course it's all moot since I'm not actually going out camping or hiking where such a thing would be at it's most useful.  Very cool though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats and welcome to the Club!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats and welcome to the Club!
View Quote

Thanks ya's, unfortunately I'm just a guest or family member or something since her membership doesn't cover sisters that I know of.  She and I almost always shoot together, since we live together, but it would be nice to have the option to go on my own.  At least I have some kind of access so I'll get to shoot more.  Looks like we'll have to crank up the reloading press to maximum.  Right now we have the dies for .38 special/.357 mag, .45acp, .44 special/mag, .45 Colt, 9mm and I think, .40 S&W but only bullets for .45 Colt and 9mm.  Still need to acquire bullets for .357 mag, .45acp and .44 mag and then dies plus bullets/powder for .223/5.56, .30-06, .45-70, 6.5 Grendel, .50 Beowulf so we are a long way and a lot of $$$ from having a full set up.

I'm really looking forward to being able to load up some .45-70 for the Trapdoor carbine.  I got a great book for Christmas all about the Springfield Trapdoor that includes the information to cast and load the exact same loads (and their equivalent) that the military used to eek out the maximum accuracy and performance from these guns.  Seems the reason most people these days get poor to average accuracy has less to do with the age of the gun and more to do with using loads that aren't suited for the Springfield.  I think we've fired 8 rounds total through the gun since I've owned it and that was only because Dan loaded up some for me so we could test fire it.  Would be a whole lot of fun to shoot in those vintage rifle matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top