Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2016 10:35:24 PM EDT
Going to be driving to OKC from Missouri on I-44, and wanted to see if anyone had good historical or military related spots to stop and see along I-44 to OKC?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a good museum around the Midwest city area. 45th infantry. They have a lot of tanks and trucks outside and a lot of memorabilia inside. When I was there I had the pleasure of meeting a WWII vet that volunteered there. I could have listened to him all day. His mind was so sharp and told stories so vividly. He was telling a story about being one of the first ones to free satellite concentration camps and was pointing them out on a map.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a good museum around the Midwest city area. 45th infantry. They have a lot of tanks and trucks outside and a lot of memorabilia inside. When I was there I had the pleasure of meeting a WWII vet that volunteered there. I could have listened to him all day. His mind was so sharp and told stories so vividly. He was telling a story about being one of the first ones to free satellite concentration camps and was pointing them out on a map.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Midwest City area???????  I was going to say...when did it move?

Check here http://45thdivisionmuseum.com/
View Quote
Yeah I guess you're right, it's OKC. Sorry. I went there when I was visiting friends in Midwest City. Seemed like it was right down the road. Midwest, Del City, OKC kind of run together.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another museum on the way that people have talked about, but that I've not been to yet, is the JM Davis Arms museum. It is in Claremore NE of Tulsa on your way to OKC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._Davis_Arms_and_Historical_Museum

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/jmdavis.html
View Quote

I agree, if you come even semi close to Claremore, the J.M. Davis gun museum is definitely worth the extra mileage.  Heck it would be worth driving to see it one its own.  HUGE collection of guns from every genre you can think of and a lot of guns used throughout history both by the good and the bad guys.  Very interesting guns from the old west along with their stories.   Dang it...now I want to go again.  It's been a good 12 years since I've been, I'd love to see it again.

I have no idea if your route takes you near Bartlesville but, if it does, definitely put Woolaroc museum on your tour list.  It's a massive museum with not only a fantastic gun collection but everything from wild west and military history to aviation history stuff too.  We would go when I was young and it's really one of the best museums in the country in my opinion plus they have a wild game park there (no hunting, just for watching lol).  Dang it....now I want to go back there too!
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a handful of retired military aircraft on static display on the north side of Tinker AFB.  You don't need base access to walk around, it's accessible to anyone.  

Tinker AFB is off I-40, in Midwest City, east of downtown OKC.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree, if you come even semi close to Claremore, the J.M. Davis gun museum is definitely worth the extra mileage.  Heck it would be worth driving to see it one its own.  HUGE collection of guns from every genre you can think of and a lot of guns used throughout history both by the good and the bad guys.  Very interesting guns from the old west along with their stories.   Dang it...now I want to go again.  It's been a good 12 years since I've been, I'd love to see it again.

I have no idea if your route takes you near Bartlesville but, if it does, definitely put Woolaroc museum on your tour list.  It's a massive museum with not only a fantastic gun collection but everything from wild west and military history to aviation history stuff too.  We would go when I was young and it's really one of the best museums in the country in my opinion plus they have a wild game park there (no hunting, just for watching lol).  Dang it....now I want to go back there too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another museum on the way that people have talked about, but that I've not been to yet, is the JM Davis Arms museum. It is in Claremore NE of Tulsa on your way to OKC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._M._Davis_Arms_and_Historical_Museum

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/jmdavis.html

Yes, I went there in 2010. I made the mistake of trying to read the labels on ALL of the guns. Got pretty burnt out after 5 hours.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back in the 'olden days' when I was going to Oklahoma Military Academy, the old man was still alive and those guns were hanging on the walls of that old hotel in downtown Claremore, JM Davis was usually working the desk at the hotel, you would walk right past him when you went back to look at the guns.  It was kind of a shame to see them all dirty and dusty, neglected on the walls, it would have been a full time job just dusting them.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#11]
45th is on 36th st off I35 in NE OKC, not MWC.

it is a MUST see.  Don't miss it.

Davis in Claremore is another must see.   
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
45th is on 36th st off I35 in NE OKC, not MWC.

it is a MUST see.  Don't miss it.

Davis in Claremore is another must see.   
View Quote

You are correct on both counts (and everyone else that suggested them)  My 2nd time seeing JM Davis. First time seeing the 45th Museum, damn the exhibits on Dachau were sobering. The volunteer at the museum (Harley I think it was) was full of good stories about his time in WWII, and telling about the modifications to versions of "recorded history" versus what he experienced. Such as McAuliffe not actually saying "Nuts!" when asked to surrender in Bastogne he was actually a rough and profane General, and some historian changed the language.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top