Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 2:48:20 PM EDT
If you have a midlength stripped barrel and want to have a "flat top" gas block, but still use plastic handguards, what do you need?

I'm assuming I need a .750 gas block, midlength gas tube, gas tube roll pin, and midlength hand guards. What about the cap that holds the front of the handguards? Do you get that part and slide it on before the gas block? What is that cap called? I think I would like to have a gas block with a small rail so that I could put a flip up sight there.
I have a little bit of experience, but last time I just got a stripped upper and a barrel assembly with a fixed front sight post.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
oddly enough, it's called a front handguard cap and  here's one from Brownell's.
this one has the notches to allow a M-203 to be used on a carbine, most don't.
it would work, it's just the first pic that came up.they're readily availaable, i'd give you one. (south OKC)

round cap for A2 guards, triangle for triangle guards.

cap goes between the step on the barrel and the front sight base.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Got it, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Rather than getting a flat top gas block, which severely limits your front sight options, why not get a flip up gas block/sight combo? I assume you are wanting the option to run an optic without having the front sight in the picture.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/gas-system-parts/gas-blocks/ar-15-gas-block-front-sight-prod21446.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-m16-41-bl-silhouette-folding-front-sight-prod26728.aspx
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang that's a great idea! I had decided on a railed block and magpul flip up, but I still wouldn't have a sling loop.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
oddly enough, it's called a front handguard cap and  here's one from Brownell's.this one has the notches to allow a M-203 to be used on a carbine, most don't. it would work, it's just the first pic that came up.they're readily availaable, i'd give you one. (south OKC)

View Quote

i think you can use the triangular cap on round hand guards as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
on rifles, yes. carbines and mid length definitely not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dang that's a great idea! I had decided on a railed block and magpul flip up, but I still wouldn't have a sling loop.
View Quote

Just remember that you can't run a polymer front sight on a railed gas block. Well, you can run one.. just until the polymer melts.

Stick with a metal front flip up like a Troy or the Magpul PRO.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just remember that you can't run a polymer front sight on a railed gas block. Well, you can run one.. just until the polymer melts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really appreciate the advice; I went with the one with a built in metal flip up. The plastic melting is just something I didn't think about.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

oddly enough, it's called a front handguard cap and  here's one from Brownell's.this one has the notches to allow a M-203 to be used on a carbine, most don't. it would work, it's just the first pic that came up.they're readily availaable, i'd give you one. (south OKC)

View Quote
Thanks, I found one from Brownells. I'm pretty far from you and am closer to Tul$a. I don't need a grenade launcher or anything.. yet. That would be cool thou.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top