Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2015 8:34:17 AM EDT
Do we have any in here? I'm interested in becoming one but need to clear it with my job. I need to know requirements, will I have to leave for a fire at the drop of a hat? Do volunteers have to lug a radio to get word or just a cell call? Any insurance requirements, when and how long is training? My supervisor is going to talk with our boss and find out if its even feasable for me to become one while employeed.

Thanks in advance, I'll post new questions as they come if we have any in here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm the Chief of a small town/rural department.   I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1st as far as employment goes you are not required to leave work for a call.  If you can GREAT that's the biggest problem volunteer departments have is daytime personnel that can respond. However it's entirely up to your employer as to weather or not you can leave during your working hours.  There are no laws on the books to protect your employment if you do leave either.

2nd training.  Each department sets their own SOG's (standard operating guidelines) and define what training is required.  Typically the larger the department the more training is required, for example a municipal department that runs mostly structure fires, vehicle crashes etc might require more training it those areas than say a rural department that fights mostly grass/brush fires.

On my department this is what we require:

NIMS:  IS100, 200, and 700 (these can be taken online and are required by ALL agencies)

Wildland fundamentals -- 16 hours
Wildland skills -- 16 hours
Volunteer Firefighting Practices -- 32 hours
Structural Firefighter -- 48 hours
Hazardous Materials Awareness -- 8 hours
Basic Vehicle Extracation -- 16 hours
Advanced Vehicle Extracation -- 12 hours (not required but encouraged)
CPR/First Aid  (Emergency Medical Responder is not required but strongly encouraged about 60 hours)

Basically you can count on needing at least 150 hours of formal training not counting on department specific training such as how to operate that departments equipment and what their procedures are.

I don't know what area of the state your are in but I can tell you that Volunteer departments are in DIRE need of personnel.  My department at this time is down to 10 volunteers and 3 of us can retire at any time (I hope to in the next year) so please if at all possible volunteer.  Even if you can't respond during working hours you are needed.

It's the greatest job you will never be appreciated for.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do we have any in here? I'm interested in becoming one but need to clear it with my job. I need to know requirements, will I have to leave for a fire at the drop of a hat? Do volunteers have to lug a radio to get word or just a cell call? Any insurance requirements, when and how long is training? My supervisor is going to talk with our boss and find out if its even feasable for me to become one while employeed.

Thanks in advance, I'll post new questions as they come if we have any in here.
View Quote

They need volunteer firemen at the truck stop???????
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm the Chief of a small town/rural department.   I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1st as far as employment goes you are not required to leave work for a call.  If you can GREAT that's the biggest problem volunteer departments have is daytime personnel that can respond. However it's entirely up to your employer as to weather or not you can leave during your working hours.  There are no laws on the books to protect your employment if you do leave either.

2nd training.  Each department sets their own SOG's (standard operating guidelines) and define what training is required.  Typically the larger the department the more training is required, for example a municipal department that runs mostly structure fires, vehicle crashes etc might require more training it those areas than say a rural department that fights mostly grass/brush fires.

On my department this is what we require:

NIMS:  IS100, 200, and 700 (these can be taken online and are required by ALL agencies)

Wildland fundamentals -- 16 hours
Wildland skills -- 16 hours
Volunteer Firefighting Practices -- 32 hours
Structural Firefighter -- 48 hours
Hazardous Materials Awareness -- 8 hours
Basic Vehicle Extracation -- 16 hours
Advanced Vehicle Extracation -- 12 hours (not required but encouraged)
CPR/First Aid  (Emergency Medical Responder is not required but strongly encouraged about 60 hours)

Basically you can count on needing at least 150 hours of formal training not counting on department specific training such as how to operate that departments equipment and what their procedures are.

I don't know what area of the state your are in but I can tell you that Volunteer departments are in DIRE need of personnel.  My department at this time is down to 10 volunteers and 3 of us can retire at any time (I hope to in the next year) so please if at all possible volunteer.  Even if you can't respond during working hours you are needed.

It's the greatest job you will never be appreciated for.

View Quote

I agree.  The training is scheduled so volunteers can make it so no worries there.  It's one of the best ways to give back to your community available but it's something that you have to take very seriously.  Some departments run very basic services just because the cost of running a fire department is staggering.  I was fortunate to work for a department with a high tax based budget.  We had excellent equipment and very good training but most small town or rural FD's get by with the bare minimum.  Regardless of whether the department in your area is well equipped, it's the dedication of it's firefighters that makes it or breaks it.  Just be prepared, it's not like having a hobby on the side, it takes a lot of time out of your life and there's good and bad aspects of it.

I'm no longer in the business but I served many years as both volunteer and paid.  I'm certified Firefighter I & II, EMT (expired), Firefighter Instructor I & II and hold all the usual certifications such as vehicle extrication, LPG and can't remember them all at this point.  If I were physically able I would still be in the fire service.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What department are you near? Each department varies GREATLY in its policies, we have our guys as state EMRs as a minimum but some departments will put you on with nothing. Attendance varies as well, we don't require daytime runs but if you're just after the tshirt you'll get the boot. I'm the TO for our department and training is usually handled in-house, Structural Firefighter and EMR being the longest classes. We do BFFS and VFFP courses as CE type training and have non-accredited training times as well. We also teach a LOT of stuff via OJT, we'll put a third guy on a brush rig to teach him the ropes without putting any pressure on him.

We use Minitor pagers and Motorola radios, two way comms are only required on a structure fire or wildland fire. You don't have to have the radio at all times. In fact, I'd probably make fun of you.

Insurance is handled by the agency.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in Okc but don't know if there is a dedicated Volunteer house near by or if one of the local paid houses takes volunteers. I would probably fall in to the category of not responding during my 10 hour shift at work and when Im on call for work. I could easily respond friday afternoons and weekends. I would need to figure a balance between the two if I were to follow through with it. Like I said, if CHK allows for it and is flexible to it, Il probably do it, if not Ill have to abandon the idea until we get more bodies hired.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a volunteer. It all depends on your town and FD as far as scheduling and such. I have taken s Volunteer Firefighter Program at Pontotoc county tech center that teaches some basics and we did a small live burn, it was pretty awesome. They offer FF 1 and 2, hazmat and all the other FF training and its free for volunteers and they are usually in the evenings and weekends.

My father-in-law is the head instructor at the tech center in Pontotoc County that does all the EMT and fire courses. He was a volunteer way back in the day and then retired from OKC fire about 5 years ago.

Its fun and you network with other guys in the community and you get to help your community. I love it so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Smithy you actually admit to being related to Jay (even by marriage) LOL.  He's a GREAT guy and instructor.  Taught me almost everything I know about firefighting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Smithy you actually admit to being related to Jay (even by marriage) LOL.  He's a GREAT guy and instructor.  Taught me almost everything I know about firefighting.
View Quote

He is very knowledgable and loves what he does.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Once you get picked by a dept, OSU-Tech offers free training courses in various subjects. If you know any active or retired firefighters, you can always pick their brains and get some good information. We have thousands of been there-done that experiences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top