Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 8:46:28 PM EDT
So i have a meatloaf recipe that calls for ground beef and ground pork. If I wanted to try to smoke it, how long would I want to smoke it for to ensure both meats are cooked through? Its only a pound of both of them with egg, chicken stuffing and water. Normally I put it in a loaf pan but I could put it on foil or a cookie sheet for smoke.

Im thinking probably at least 2 hours at about 225 maybe 250 then toss it in the oven for maybe another hour to finish cooking it all the way. What say the Hive?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL, Let me know how it turns out.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So i have a meatloaf recipe that calls for ground beef and ground pork. If I wanted to try to smoke it, how long would I want to smoke it for to ensure both meats are cooked through? Its only a pound of both of them with egg, chicken stuffing and water. Normally I put it in a loaf pan but I could put it on foil or a cookie sheet for smoke.

Im thinking probably at least 2 hours at about 225 maybe 250 then toss it in the oven for maybe another hour to finish cooking it all the way. What say the Hive?
View Quote

Best method is what you put there at the bottom.  Smoke it a couple hours and monitor your interior temperature.  If at two hours you're close to 160, finish it up in the smoker.  Chances are it won't be that close so, in that case, best to move it to an oven at 350 until it comes to at least 160 (safe temp for ground pork).

Let me know how it goes, I've considered trying that myself.  I have a big pork butt in the fridge right now, injected and marinated, ready for smoking.  Unfortunately, ever day I get ready to do it, it rains!  Was going to attempt it tomorrow but, again, it's going to rain.  Although this time it's hail and tornadoes... I HATE this time of year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You can add a little sugar cure into your mix and that will give you some time to get your temperature right. I like a stone ware dish with a lid that does not fit tight or a dutch oven. I prefer to use my larger smoker that has a good fire box and start at about 200 for 30 min. then raise my temperature to 275 or 300 for about 30 min. Then back down to 200 for a couple hours. I tried smoked Sour kraut the other day and well let me tell you that was some fine kraut, we chopped some brats and onions into the kraut didn't have enough brats to feed everyone. Used the stoneware pot with lid and smoked for about 6 hours around 250. Oh added a dash of Tony Chaseries seasoning to it too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Update a few weeks later.

It was a success! I stayed with my normal recipe and smoked it for about an hour and a half or so. Still tastes good as 3 days later left overs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top