Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 1:43:20 AM EDT
I went out with my father in law earlier to try and call up some coyotes.  He has a cattle ranch and is having new calves show up daily.  He tries to keep the predation to a minimum so shooting coyotes is an anytime event.  I had been wanting to go and took my Savage model 93 in 17HMR.  We called for a bit and no coyotes showed but we had a couple of wild pigs show up at one of the feeders.  

I shot a smaller one about 80lbs, had a good side shot right into the ear.  I pulled the trigger at about 50 yards and he dropped in his tracks.  So we wait around for about 5 mins and then this thing gets back up and trots off to the neighbors fence line. So what I learned is even with good shots sometimes things don't work as planned.  And next time I need to bring more gun besides the 17HMR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
lesson learned 50bmg needed....  
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably would have worked up close but, yeah, a little light for 50 yards.  Good reason to buy a 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lesson learned 50bmg needed....  
View Quote

My brother in law actually shot into a herd of wild pigs with a Barrett 50BMG.  He gut shot a small one and the thing still had enough adrenaline to run a short distance.  I wouldn't of believed it if they didn't have a video of it.  They ran a hunting ranch for a few years and shut it down a few years back.  One of the hunting guest brought his 50BMG out because he wanted to hunt with it.  So the opportunity presented itself and he tried it out too.

Next time I'm taking one of the hunting rifles like my 7 mag or 270.  I will take the 17 HMR for the squirrels.  Speaking of which does anyone have any pet loads for 7mm Rem Mag with 100 gr bullets?  Plan on picking up a box to reload for varmint hunts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think napalm should be legal for coyotes....
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Whenever i get settled here in OK....i want to add a .243 to the collection...like that round allot, or a .25-06 another good one...both work wonders on coyotes and even deer/antelope...my final antelope season in SD i shot my 17" buck with a .25-06 out of a Ruger 1, i wasnt having any luck with my .30-06 that day..so i borrowed my friends .25-06. As for shooting the coyotes with .223/5.56...i lost a few of them in SD out in the grasslands using my M-788 Rem .223. .243 of another friends worked great on coyotes. Never have used an AR style weapon for any hunting yet...suppose the 300 AAC would whack a yote good...pig too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That .17 is more like a bee sting than anything else.
View Quote

I have a buddy that shot a coyote in the face with a 22-250. The light bullet just fragmented and did horrible but superficial damage. Broadside shot was the same way. Fragile bullets + high velocity = suck IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top