Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 3:16:49 PM EDT
My daughter is getting in to archery with her school. We went and got her a school approved Genesis Bow and it got me thinking about crossbows.

Id like to venture in to it and did a little looking so far and have learned one thing so far in my short searching...

Holy fuck sticks!! Those damn things cost just as much as a typical gun with only a quarter of the range!

So can anyone recommend a decent crossbow for a beginner that could perhaps be sub $500? Im thinking for the time being I might wanna do a recurve for ease of maintenance and what not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Natchez Shooting Supplies. They sometimes have discontinued cross bows at 50% of suggested retail.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want a crossbow? They're good for folks with disabilities to use during archery season but shooting a bow is WAY more fun.  I'd highly recommend getting a decent recurve and building a skill set of learning to shoot instinctively.  Once you master that you could literally be able to build a bow and arrows during the zombie apocalypse and have a weapon to survive with.  After you master the recurve you will be able to quickly learn to shoot a compound well.  

I think crossbows are cool but using a bow is so much more fun and challenging.  There's no real skill required to use a crossbow, it's not "archery", it's basically a rifle that shoots arrow like projectiles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Because I want one. This is fuckin 'Murica!

But seriously, I just want one. I've discovered it's simple enough to shoot a bow. I just WA.tt a crossbow one day. While it may be an arrow shooting rifle, it still shoots arrows therefore would fall under archery.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But seriously, I just want one. I've discovered it's simple enough to shoot a bow. I just WA.tt a crossbow one day. While it may be an arrow shooting rifle, it still shoots arrows therefore would fall under archery.
View Quote

I will suggest that if you wish to get into archery that you buy a bow. You will most certainly find one in the sub $500 range. I have owned a Barnett crossbow in the past and can tell you from experience that they are a pain in the ass. You have to lube the rail every three shots, you have to wax the string every 15 shots, and the first time you leave your thumb wrapped around the frame you get "crossbow thumb".  Not to mention that every time you shoot it, you have to restring the cocking rope, and then pull the limbs back.  My honest opinion is that if you want to enjoy archery with your daughter, shoot a compound bow.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Just wanting one is always a good enough reason.

You'll find that the price on a good crossbow is as high as buying a good rifle though, it's gonna hurt the wallet.  I'd go to the archery section of this website and ask around there, you'll get the best info there.  Buying used will probably be your best best but make sure you know you are buying something modern and worth the money.  Older crossbows are a headache and PIA that will leave you with a permanent twitch as Higgi mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
as a aside, my 9th Grade Jr. High School woodshop project WAS a crossbow!
$15 bought walnut, aluminum bow and a cable for a string.
the arrows (bolts?) were considered one use, cause there  was NO finding them.
and talk about flinch, wait till you're aiming it and hear the bowstring (cable, remember?) parting a strand at a time.

you get expelled for aiming a index finger now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
wait till next month,pawnshops will be filled with them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top