Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
I've been watching a lot of hunting shows recently, living vicariously through them since I can't go myself, and I see that many hunters prefer to make neck shots versus body shots.  It seems to be a small percentage of hunters compared to those who aim for the vitals but still a significant number of people.  I'm assuming that the neck offers the opportunity for a "drop in it's tracks" kill but is that the primary reason?

I was always taught to shoot for the vitals and that was just the norm among pretty much everyone I've ever hunted with or knew of, so I'm curious how many people here prefer a neck shot over a body/vitals shot and why?  What is the margin for error on a neck shot as to hitting the spine or missing it?  Is there a specific situation where you would normally take a vitals shot but choose, instead, to shoot for the neck/spine?

I'm not arguing one is better than the other, just trying to learn something that I've otherwise not experienced myself.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Less meat is torn up from a neck hit. Windpipe, spinal column, and blood vessels are in a concentrated area and all are affected from the kinetic energy of a solid hit.
You have a much better chance of a clean miss over a COV (center of vitals) shot and losing a wounded animal.
You may agree or disagree but that is the reasoning behind shooting for the neck.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
a majority(90% or better) of my deer are shot at the base of the neck, right where the saw is going to cut the neck off for roast or sausage. The deer drops of sight, no meat is wasted on the shoulders or ribs.

remember hunting shows want clean kills whenever possible without a deer stumbling and falling and dragging itself out of the area. the cleanest kill is a neck shot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How big is the area you need to hit for a spine shot like that? Obviously the spine is long but as far as width, what's the margin for error? I've cleaned and/or helped clean several deer but it's been a while and I can't remember how wide that "kill spot" is.  I'm guessing a shot just above or below wouldn't be a kill shot or would it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How big is the area you need to hit for a spine shot like that? Obviously the spine is long but as far as width, what's the margin for error? I've cleaned and/or helped clean several deer but it's been a while and I can't remember how wide that "kill spot" is.  I'm guessing a shot just above or below wouldn't be a kill shot or would it?
View Quote

You don't have to break vertebrae with a bullet to damage the spine and kill the deer. You can hit several inches from the spine in the neck and the deer will be DRT.
You're welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top