Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 1:45:44 PM EDT
Calling all Foodies....

Are there any decent Mexican places here in town.  I may be spoiled but the local Mexican food in general seems to be really lacking.

I'm Jones'ing for some Colorado/New Mexico style Chili Verde what I have found out here is really lacking almost a watered down sauce. The stuff out West is almost a stew with lots of pork chunks and is served in bowl with flour tortillas.

The wife's family is from OKC and they took us to Chelino's the other night and I had to force it down. Abel's (50th and MacArthur) was a little better and their Green Chili Salsa was pretty good but both places use what appears to be the same nasty cheese sauce on everything. I did find a little Taqueria in strip mall at roughly 11th and Rockwell killer tacos and tortas but no green chilli

Food Channel Green Chili Link  This link uses Anaheim Chilies however New Mexico Hatch Chili was the mainstay on Colorado.

Let me know your Favs!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of my favorite places are

Tacos Don Nachos -  S Council Rd, about a mile north of Highway 152

Morellos - Moore - just south of 12th street on the west side of I-35

Alverados - Moore - in the shopping center on 119th and western

Believe these addresses are correct, if not I apologize. These are some of the few places that have "Real" mexican food. There are a few others, but I would not recommend them.

Outiside of my family's own cooking this is as good as it gets for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

In my experience, most "mexican" restaurants are about the level of a frozen dinner from Wal*Mart.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Casa Perico at 122nd and Penn, the food is very good and the cooks and staff are all Mexican so you know it's authentic.  I don't care for the queso, it's sort of a watery white cheese sauce but the food is very good and margaritas are yummy.  The sizzling fajitas are muey bueno! The salsa is good, not great but good.  They serve you fresh made chips with salsa and queso while waiting, which usually gets me because the salsa is addictive and the chips are really good so by the time the food arrives I'm too full to eat lol.  I don't know of any Mexican places in OKC that are just awesome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Folks,

We will try the ones mentioned. I have a feeling I will have to adapt.

------------------------------------------------------------------

WB5ONL, WB5ONL De AG0J QSL?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Dolor el taco.

It's a taco truck on SW 44th and may. Authentic Mexican street food. If on doing authentic Mexican food at a table... I stay at home. Wife and MIL are Mexican
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dolor el taco.

It's a taco truck on SW 44th and may. Authentic Mexican street food. If on doing authentic Mexican food at a table... I stay at home. Wife and MIL are Mexican
View Quote

I hate you and I don't even know you

Does she have a sister???? Oh, wait, let me clear that with the wife first she may not see things the same way I do....
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does she have a sister???? Oh, wait, let me clear that with the wife first she may not see things the same way I do....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dolor el taco.

Sadly she is the only girl of 4 kids.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Green Chili Kitchen in Yukon will be just what you are missing. I don't care for it but it is just like Santa Fe food.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
We like Ted's Escondido or however you spell it.  The main place is on May Avenue and another is up in Edmond off Danforth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We like Ted's Escondido or however you spell it.  The main place is on May Avenue and another is up in Edmond off Danforth.
View Quote

We prefer the original off of May, but the one in MWC is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Green Chili Kitchen in Yukon will be just what you are missing. I don't care for it but it is just like Santa Fe food.
View Quote

Anyone else eaten there?  They have horrid reviews on Urbanspoon and Yelp.

We tried Brandi's suggestion last night best of the lot so far. Teds is on the list next.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Ted's= Chelinos=Cocina de Mino. Same ole same o.

people get used to something and it becomes comfort food.

those 3 have been around literally for 30 years, what used to be good lives on after it's not good anymore.

I'da put Chi-Chi's in the list but thankfully that ship has sunk.(probably capsized from lettuce)
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]
There's probably a few dozen AUTHENTIC Mexican places in the area north of I240, east of I44, west of I35, and south of Downtown. These beat Ted's, Ricky's, Tarahumawhateverthehell hands down.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's probably a few dozen AUTHENTIC Mexican places in the area north of I240, east of I44, west of I35, and south of Downtown. These beat Ted's, Ricky's, Tarahumawhateverthehell hands down.
View Quote

That whole area is little Mexico
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
which is pretty much the point.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Meh.. Actual Mexican food is pretty bland compared to Tex Mex from my experience.

You can get chili verde or chili Colorado at Tarahumaras.  It's not my thing so I couldn't tell you if it is good.

I recently went to Carlsbad and ate at the worst Mexican food restaurant I have ever been.  The queso I ordered I think was pumped out of a nacho cheese can.

The place I went to in Ruidoso was decent.  They didn't have queso as it was more authentic Mexican but the quacamole and food was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dolor el taco.

View Quote

This truck does have good tacos.  I generally go to Tacos San Pedro for my taco fix.  TSP's tacos are about twice as big as the trucks and about twice as expensive. Both places are excellent.

I like authentic Mexican food, which I consider to be mostly soups and stews but don't know of any places to get the good stuff.  I've sampled several of the small hole-in-the-wall places on the South side and they are hit and miss.  On one visit they will have something totally awesome on the buffet and on the next visit there is nothing really outstanding.  I always do the buffets because I like the variety.  There's plenty of options down there for ordering off a menu.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to sw29th street and s Kentucky , there is a really good taco truck there. Also there is a good Roticeria right across from the shamrock at sw29th and Agnew
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
you're in my hood.
been there since 1980, and boy has the complexion (no pun intended) changed.

i get my burritos delivered when he feels like stopping in.
i asked the guy how many he sells a day, he said 300-500!
at $2 per, that's not  a bad day, that's just burritos, not tamales, etc.

he did accidentally give me a plantain (yech!) burrito, that's some authentic i can do without!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I am by no means an authority on Mexican food , but I love tacos . When I still worked at the capital I used to get lunch quite often at taco rico. They make really good tacos really fast. I could eat several of their tacos de barbacoa at sitting. The gent who owns it is Mexican and really does well with the tacos there. The rest of their fare is not as good imo but the tacos are first rate. Teds never impressed me to be honest. It's not as good as Tezmecal in Chickasha
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
tarahumanara in the 700 block of porter street in norman
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would you know, you dang Rolla-an.

We like Ted's. There's another one on S Western next to the Sonic, east side of the street between 240 and 79th.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We like Ted's. There's another one on S Western next to the Sonic, east side of the street between 240 and 79th.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause I'm a dang Okie first you friggin transplant!    I like it here but it's not home.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top