Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 1:27:40 PM EDT

Just moved to OKC from Colorado.

If anyone has a line on a decent place to shoot I would love to hear from you. Indoor or outdoor does not matter.  I'm on the NW side so I swung by H&H the other day. I was OK but seems to need a lot of TLC on the target carriers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Just moved to OKC from Colorado.

If anyone has a line on a decent place to shoot I would love to hear from you. Indoor or outdoor does not matter.  I'm on the NW side so I swung by H&H the other day. I was OK but seems to need a lot of TLC on the target carriers.
View Quote

Welcome!! There are few ranges around.  You know about H&H, you'll find that during the warmer months (which is most of the year in Oklahoma) H&He's range is brutally hot.  It will easily be 100+ during the summer I bet, if I could stand to go I'd take a thermometer.  They have put a lot of money into the store part of the place but the range just keeps getting worse.  Maybe they get enough range business they don't feel like they have to fix anything, I dunno but it's rapidly losing it's fan base.

There is the Canadian Valley/Banner Road range which is an outdoor range.  It's a bit of a drive so I haven't been but I've heard it's nice.

There is the new Wilshire Gun indoor range which just opened that is a very high tech/high end/high price range...way out of my price range.

There's the OKC Gun Club but it's a private club range so you would have to join before accessing that range.

I live on the north side also, H&H is the closest affordable range for me but it's too hot during warm months and it's falling apart.  Wilshire Gun is very close but way too expensive for my budget.  Everything else is a bit of a drive.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I may check out the outdoor ranges. I'm still trying to get my jaw off the floor for Wilshire's fee's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Safety 1st is primarily a pistol range with i think the guy said 25 yards.

Wilshire, i broke down and went the other day...more to see Steve from Cold Hand and his new shop, but took 2 rifles with me and shot on the 100yard range....28 bucks an hour is high..they claim constant 70 F in the ranges, but i was only one there and i was sweating pretty good in shorts and sleeveless shirt...was warm in there...the air circulation was good, didnt have any problems with my asthma as i do at H&H...my closed circuit target monitor system for my lane wasnt working, or i didnt know how to push the on/off switch correctly, either way, didnt even notice it till i was picking up some brass and the lane next to me had the monitor on which looked pretty clear at the 100 yard mark...so i went back to mine and tried turning mine on, nothing happened, but no big deal...took a second or so to figure the target moving system out, foresee that needing high maintenance as it gets older...dont mind the cables and 2 way toggle switch at H&H.

Other then that, it was nice, they had plastic bench rests, moveable bench tables with built in stool, so you could bring your own bench rest if you wanted to...which floors H&H with their 12" deep useless bench.

I didnt like the fact that you have to walk in, all the way to the far end, check into the range, pay, get your lane, then walk all the way back to the entrance where the range door is. When i go shooting, i bring at least 2 rifles, and ammo bag and a converted tackle box (parts, cleaning stuff, etc etc)...so for one person lugging that kind of sucked...i suppose if i ever go shooting there again, i can just sit all my stuff by the range door and hope no one walks off with it...i believe they did that so you have to walk through the retail area, as they could have built the check in counter right next to the range door.

Anyways, Steve has a really nice shop and has some good toys in there. He even gets to bring his dog there with him...he seems pretty content in his move.

The local gun clubs that Brandi spoke of dont have any pay per use options...you have to become a member and the membership when i looked earlier this year was in the 350.00's and i believe both Tri City and OKC Gun Club had a 1 day a month requirement for you to work there cleaning, lawncare, whatever they need done...so that thought went out pretty much as soon as it came in...orientation class and all kinds of what i thought was needless bullshit...but, people buy their memberships...just isnt for me and my not so numerous times i shoot throughout a year, especially here in OK where you cant just go to the desert and shoot like i did in AZ.

As weather gets cooler, i plan on going to Banner Rd and also maybe venturing at to CJ Gun range in Pink, OK. He just opened that range up and they seem like good people and have some fun out there...it is like an hour drive though.

There are also Wildlife Management Areas maintained by the state game and fish...havent heard anything good about them and i was trying to find the rules and regs for their use on the game and fish website, but lost interest after searching it for 10 mins.

Oh something else about Wilshire that is a major turn off...cant shoot any steel cased ammo...has to all be brass...so no AK or Mosins for me there and i was so looking forward to shooting both.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
They banned steel cased ammo?? What possible reason could there be to ban steel cases? Steel core ammo I get, well I don't, how hard is it to build a brand new super expensive range to handle common ammo? Anywho...why a ban on steel case ammo....they can't sweep it up and resell it so they won't let you shoot it? Or maybe they don't understand that steel cased ammo doesn't equal steel projectiles or their too lazy to check the ammo? It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They banned steel cased ammo?? What possible reason could there be to ban steel cases? Steel core ammo I get, well I don't, how hard is it to build a brand new super expensive range to handle common ammo? Anywho...why a ban on steel case ammo....they can't sweep it up and resell it so they won't let you shoot it? Or maybe they don't understand that steel cased ammo doesn't equal steel projectiles or their too lazy to check the ammo? It makes no sense.
View Quote

Steel core is typically a penetrator, commonly "Armor Piercing".

H&H doesn't allow it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

H&H doesn't allow it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

H&H doesn't allow it.

He said they banned steel "cased" ammo....I just brought up the steel core ammo as an example.  Steel ammo cases don't hurt anything.  Interestingly enough a large percentage of AK ammo is steel case so you have a guy in their store selling high end guns that most of it's ammo isn't allowed to be shot there.  Seems like that might go over like a fart in church.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wilshire banned aluminum cased ammo too.

I'm a member at OKC Gun Club.  You get a discount on your membership if you volunteer once a year, but you aren't required to help once a month like you said.
View Quote

No aluminum case ammo either??? Wow, they've gone full blown elitist.  What next, you have to polish your brass before shooting?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm a member at OKC Gun Club.  You get a discount on your membership if you volunteer once a year, but you aren't required to help once a month like you said.
View Quote

Thats why i said i believe and not a definite.it was several months ago i researched this, must have been tri city with the requirement...maybe i read it wrong...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Steel core ammo isnt banned...out of the 556 i was shooting mainly the 62grain M855 i believe it is..the green tip stuff...made some pretty sparks down range...they tout everything up to a .50 BMG which i would figure to cause more damage then anything out of a 5.56...the aluminum ban i didnt see, but each stall has a rule list and the bottom rule stated no steel cases..may have said aluminum too, but i didnt pay that much attention to it after the steel part...probably they dont want the hassle of sorting brass from non brass...seems steel would be pretty easy to weed out with big magnet...whatever, they got my 28.00 bucks and 55 mins of my time, now i know and wont shoot there anymore...will still visit Cold Hand, but nothing more.

Excuse any errors typing on the tablet which routinely whoops my ass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
For $28/hr at the 100 yard range they should accept steel cased ammo, aluminum cased ammo and marshmallow cased ammo but then again I forget that this range isn't geared towards people of my financial standing and world outlook.  Their demographic is the corporate executives and other upper tax bracket professionals such as plastic surgeons, corporate lawyers and oil company execs..  The types of folks who will pay whatever it takes to enjoy the exclusivity that comes with pricing everyone else out.  There are a few others around the country like it, some much more exclusive requiring biometric scanning instead of driver's licenses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thats why i said i believe and not a definite.it was several months ago i researched this, must have been tri city with the requirement...maybe i read it wrong...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tri-city does not require monthly work either, you can get a lower price on membership by being a working member which requires a minimum of 8 hrs a year. I am currently a non working member since my work schedule and other commitments keep me from being able to get out there on work days.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He said they banned steel "cased" ammo....I just brought up the steel core ammo as an example.  Steel ammo cases don't hurt anything.  Interestingly enough a large percentage of AK ammo is steel case so you have a guy in their store selling high end guns that most of it's ammo isn't allowed to be shot there.  Seems like that might go over like a fart in church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H&H doesn't allow it.

I know, but you mentioned the steel core ammo and that you didn't fully understand a ban on that. I'm pointing out what makes steel core bad for a steel backstop.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Bryan and I will make a run out to the OKC gun club this afternoon for some suppressed fun with the Slide Fire and G-locks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
There is also Henry's Guns out west of Yukon on 66. Haven't been there but have drove by and also saw online. Looks like all outdoor 25 yard ranges. Plan on going soon.

Coz
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know, but you mentioned the steel core ammo and that you didn't fully understand a ban on that. I'm pointing out what makes steel core bad for a steel backstop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H&H doesn't allow it.

The 5.56 green tip XM855 steel tip ammo has been called "armor piercing" for years and most people just assume that but it's not.  It's been blown so far out of proportion it's staggering.  So much so that the ATF itself came out and specifically listed XM855 and SS109 as NOT armor piercing.  It wasn't designed as an armor piercing round nor does it function as an armor piercing round.  It was designed to increase penetration at the longer distances that saw gunners were engaging targets at.  When they called the steel tip a "penetrator" it started being referred to as an AP round and is has become so synonymous with this ammo that even the retail companies often advertise it as "armor piercing" but it never was from the start.  

It will damage mild steel targets and will dent hardened steel targets but shooting it through backstop media into a regulation backstop isn't going to cause any damage at all.  The problem comes with so many people calling it "armor piercing" and companies selling it as "armor piercing" when it isn't.  It doesn't even come close to the definition set by the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The 5.56 green tip XM855 steel tip ammo has been called "armor piercing" for years and most people just assume that but it's not.  It's been blown so far out of proportion it's staggering.  So much so that the ATF itself came out and specifically listed XM855 and SS109 as NOT armor piercing.  It wasn't designed as an armor piercing round nor does it function as an armor piercing round.  It was designed to increase penetration at the longer distances that saw gunners were engaging targets at.  When they called the steel tip a "penetrator" it started being referred to as an AP round and is has become so synonymous with this ammo that even the retail companies often advertise it as "armor piercing" but it never was from the start.  

It will damage mild steel targets and will dent hardened steel targets but shooting it through backstop media into a regulation backstop isn't going to cause any damage at all.  The problem comes with so many people calling it "armor piercing" and companies selling it as "armor piercing" when it isn't.  It doesn't even come close to the definition set by the ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H&H doesn't allow it.

The problem is that the green tip is simply lead core. Actual AP 5.56 is black tip. Even 30-06 AP is black tip. Im not arguing, Im in fact now agreeing. The actual steel core bullets are not allowed because of the steel penetrator. Green tip is fine all day, if the RSO can extract a bullet with a magnet, it is indeed steel core penetrator. The 5.56 green tip will not be extracted with a magnet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gIvaw_dPY

62gr green tip ball
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
M855/SS109/green tip is lead core with a steel penetrator. Guaranteed 100% of the time. If it is M855 it has steel in it.

FWIW, M193 is much harder on steel targets than M855. My AR500 targets will soak up M855 all day long but the higher velocity of M193 will leave tiny pecks if shot from close range. Lightweight bullets in a 243 did more damage to my targets than anything so far.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
These are my choice for tyrannosaurs and other giant critters that need serious kaboomination.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/index.php/products/50-beowulf/9-uncategorised/124-50-beowulf-ammunition.html

350 grain solid brass Spitzer...guaranteed to go through even the toughest dinosaurus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top